TSV(R) Preview
162 Members and 15679 Guests Online

Dooney & Bourke

OT: What can I buy for my grandma's 79th Birthday?

Started 1360167074.097 in Dooney & Bourke | Last reply 1360249371.883 by Perkup

She's not in to bags, so this is really OT. But you are all so wise, I thought I'd ask you.

My grandma will be 79 this month. She loves knick knacks and jewelry, but doesn't want or need any more of either.

Last year I brought her with me and my girls (her great-grandkids) to see Disney on Ice, but she said it was too long to sit.

For Christmas, I made a Lunch of the Month card where I am/will be taking her out to lunch every month from January-June. She likes that gift somewhat, but complains when the check comes and she tries to pay, making it pretty akward.

I really don't want to clutter up her small apartment with knick knacks, but "experience" gifts are working out, either. What should I get her??

My husband and I are doing a workshop. He works and I shop!

Page 1 of 2
curlywhite­dog1360167538.3336537 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ

CoachLover:

Does she have a hobby, reading perhaps? How about a few good books or even a Kindle if she's into electronic devices. If not, I'm thinking a nice bouquet of flowers and a gift card to a favorite restaurant or store. Or, along the lines of your lunch idea (which is a great one, by the way), how about a home made coupon book good for whatever she wants or needs like a trip to the store in the bad weather or someone to help out with house chores (if she needs the help). Other than that, I'm as stumped for ideas for you as I was for my own mother when she was in that age bracket.

Maria

P.S. Would it work for you to just ask her what she needs or wants? I know we like birthday gifts to be a surprise but perhaps there's something she'd like that she just won't buy for herself.

Last edited on 2/6/2013

Last edited on 2/6/2013

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

VCamp27481360167826.3777097 PostsRegistered 4/20/2006

I'm not yet in that age bracket, but as another person who doesn't want/need any more "stuff" in my apartment, I can tell you that I like gift cards for movie theaters, book stores (including Amazon), bath & body stores for treats I wouldn't normally buy for myself; exotic fruit baskets; a nice lunch or dinner out with family. I'm also a knitter & would love to get gift cards for my favorite yarn shopping sites.

It's so good of you to care enough to want to make her happy - good luck!

little mis­s sunshine1360167918.172448 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006

Grandma doesn't need or want any more stuff! I am 70 and I have other friends I hang around with who are 75+, 80+. They all love gift cards--to local restaurants, to dept. stores, or just plain Visa gift cards. Maybe that sounds a bit "unpersonal" to you, but it's grandma we're dealing with. She might like to have lunch with her girlfriends, have the money to chose a gift for a special friend, etc. My friends pull out many of their gift cards when we go to lunch or want to treat one of our friends for a special birthday surprise. NO MORE STUFF!

little mis­s sunshine1360167999.1572448 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006

Grandma doesn't need or want any more stuff! I am 70 and I have other friends I hang around with who are 75+, 80+. They all love gift cards--to local restaurants, to dept. stores, or just plain Visa gift cards. Maybe that sounds a bit "unpersonal" to you, but it's grandma we're dealing with. She might like to have lunch with her girlfriends, have the money to chose a gift for a special friend, etc. My friends pull out many of their gift cards when we go to lunch or want to treat one of our friends for a special birthday surprise. NO MORE STUFF!

LDOlvr1360168042.0072076 PostsRegistered 6/4/2012Pacific NW for now.

Get some photographs together of her siblings/relatives/children, scan them and make a bard back photo book for her.

Several places on line that do this. Best gifts ever.

Trouble rides a fast horse....

mima1360168390.9214515 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

I know she doesn't want more stuff, but does she have one of those electronic picture frames? You could load it with a bunch of pictures for her.

I got one for mom a couple years ago and she loves it!

Mima

Perkup1360169114.736460 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008

Well, I'm going to be 79 in August, so I guess I could qualify as something of an expert here. No, I don't want any more nicknacks - things that have to be dusted and cared for. But I would like a special flameless candle or attrctive night lights to help brighten my home a little at night so I could see around a bit better. I'd enjoy a small, but pretty bowl of potpourri to give some fragrance to my home, and a promise of new porpourri with each change of seasons.

Last year I gave my DH for his 93rd birthday a group of cd's - music of the 40's and 50's - his music that you can't get on the radio anymore. He's spent many happy hours listening and remembering to that music. (A little dancing once in a while, too.) We've both enjoyed that gift. (But she'll need a cd player and a lesson on its' use.)

I've been asking my children and grandkids for updated photos of the family for Christmas and birthdays for several years. I always enjoy those, and they're finally catching on to this. An electronic pictire frame could be a real joy.

Your idea of a monthly luncheon, one on one with a beloved granddaughter sounds lovely. But maybe she would like it better if you brought lunch to her once a month - you could pick up something from her favorite restaurant, and she wouldn't have to get all dressed up to go out. Quiet conversation over a tasty lunch at home would be special.

At 79 and approaching another big mark at 80, we tend to be a little nostalgic, so keep that in mind, no matter how young at heart or active we might be. Memories and things that remind us of days long past will always be special. Happy Birthday and many many more to your special Grandma.

Last edited on 2/6/2013

Last edited on 2/6/2013

CoachLover1360169319.927555 PostsRegistered 11/17/2011PA

These are great ideas! Thank you. She already has an electronic picture frame. I could make a photo book, that's great.

She doesn't like movies or shopping because she says sitting too long hurts her back and walking around stores makes her tired. I'm really flabbergasted.

Curleywhtiedog, I think you're on to something with the flowers. I like that they won't create more clutter, they're beautiful AND they can be delivered on her actual birthday. I live on the same street as grandma (believe it or not), but I'm going to Disney World with the kids the week of her birthday. I was just going to give her gift before I left, but flowers delivered on the actual day sounds brilliant!

Thanks, everyone.

And feel free to post more ideas, I haven't called the florist yet. And there's always next year. And Mother's Day. And Christmas, etc.

Sakuya1360169486.521862 PostsRegistered 2/15/2011

You could get her a gift certificate for the place she gets her hair done.

CoachLover1360169649.91555 PostsRegistered 11/17/2011PA

PerkUp, I never considered bringing lunch in. I love that idea.

My grandpa passed 4 years ago at a somewhat young age of 75. She's not getting over it very well and spends A LOT of time in her comfy chair, looking at photos, staring out the window, daydreaming and being lonely. I want to rouse her from her literal comfort zone, but maybe I should just work with her habits, not against them.

rizzos20001360170508.29730 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010

When my grandmother turned 80 I got a clear bowl and put slips of paper in it. Each day she would open and read the note. I must have made at least 40 slips. Some were things I remembered us doing when I was younger, some were just things that I loved about her, some were from my kids to her about things they remember and some some just said "Remember I love you with all my heart".

Later I took a copy of all of the papers and put them in a notebook so later in the year, when the tags had been all opened, she was able to read the notebook and feel loved. She died at 94 and left me that book with a wonderful note in it for me to find.

Happy Birthday to your Grandmother!!

marey1231360176274.60723 PostsRegistered 5/18/2011

I don't know where you live but my 90 year old mother in law loves being taken to a traditional English afternoon tea. This can be found in some of the larger cities but most small towns won't have them. They serve scones and finger sandwiches plus little desserts on tiered plates and usually nice English china cups for tea.

bowlicious1360177547.98162 PostsRegistered 2/15/2007

When my mom was in her 90s she used to like to get bath powder and cosmetics. It was hard for her to shop so getting these things was a big help to her and something she could use daily.

queendiva1360178493.5373439 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

Depending on the budget, or maybe as a group gift, a flat screen HDTV. She will enjoy it every day.

sidsmom1360178873.675668 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007Dallas!
Flowers! My 90-yr old mother loves flowers/plants. She says it really cheers up her apartment in her assisted-living community.

Hildegarde­ Withers1360179915.2323377 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

I think most grandmas just want to see their family. No matter if they just come for a visit just to chat.

Fresh Flowers. Plants, if you're sure she doesn't mind watering them.

Merry Maids/Cleaning Service for a month or whatever.

Is she able to walk a little? Take her to the mall & have her pick out something she wants or needs & then have lunch in the food court.

ittyreen1360180524.103678 PostsRegistered 11/30/2005
So many good ideas here. One thing I have done in the past is to buy some high-end stationery, a box of nice greeting cards, and some pretty postage stamps. Having these things on hand might be a big help to her.

m2p1360181015.183287 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010
This won't work this year, but next year when she turns 80, you can get her a birthday greeting from the President. I got one for my neighbor and even though she is not a fan of the current presidential party, she got a kick out of getting a birthday card from the White House.

annabellet­hecat1360181745.92714400 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006

For my birthday a few years ago my daughters contacted friends of mine (some are friends since 1st grade) and had each of them send some little antidotes, funny little things about my interaction (recent and past) with them. She typed each up (making them look different) different colored paper, cut out differently, etc. Put them in a photo album (the kind with the large sticky pages). They put little cut out pictures and printed words (just to make the pages look interesting and different). You can purchase a lot of these if not all, from Jo Ann's Fabric and Craft Store or Michael's Craft store, etc. Use your imagination. Take her to a nice (not real fancy) restaurant. Put one of those little paper crowns on her head and tell her she is "Queen for a Day". That is the name of a famous TV show that was on in the 50's. I get my album out and look at it often. I am really lucky. My girls are a 'pain in the neck', but I wouldn't trade them for anything. It's things like that that makes a Mom realize how much your children love you. It's all about taking time and planning. You can even send out emails to people. Just plan a little ahead. It doesn't take much ahead planning. Good luck.

lavenderju­nkie1360184868.52313078 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

What about a beautiful pair of cashmere lined leather gloves or a silk scarf? These are little luxuries she will enjoy using when she goes out of the house.

circles1360185743.3717555 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.
On 2/6/2013 rizzos2000 said:

When my grandmother turned 80 I got a clear bowl and put slips of paper in it. Each day she would open and read the note. I must have made at least 40 slips. Some were things I remembered us doing when I was younger, some were just things that I loved about her, some were from my kids to her about things they remember and some some just said "Remember I love you with all my heart".

Later I took a copy of all of the papers and put them in a notebook so later in the year, when the tags had been all opened, she was able to read the notebook and feel loved. She died at 94 and left me that book with a wonderful note in it for me to find.

Happy Birthday to your Grandmother!!

rizzos....there are a lot of good ideas here...but I think yours is the best...being 70 years old this would be a gift for a life time....it brought tears to my eyes....

CoachLover1360186616.983555 PostsRegistered 11/17/2011PA

So many good ideas! Thank you, everyone. I'll have enough different gifts for all of her birthdays.

barb401360188467.2233726 PostsRegistered 11/7/2004

You sound like a very caring grand-daughter...I love the idea of sending flowers on her birthday! Treasure your moments with her~~I miss my grandparents very much...

itsmagic1360189136.971254 PostsRegistered 8/8/2011

I love rizzos' idea with the bowl and special notes!

colliegirls1360190336.526504 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

A gift certificate to a restaurant, store, or catalog.

Page 1 of 2