Christmas in July(R) Sale
143 Members and 13988 Guests Online

Dooney & Bourke

My First and Last New Years Day Dillards Sale!!

Started 1293928752.933 in Dooney & Bourke | Last reply 1294243869.767 by Qwackertoo

OMG... I traveled one hour one way in drizzling rain on a freeway, behind big 18 wheel trucks to get to this sale, my first AND LAST New Years sale!! that place was a fricken ZOO. I got there around 10 am....all the name brand bags, MK, Dooney, Brahmin, Cole Haan that had been on sale had been cleaned out. I was strolling around looking for other bags, Tigs or The Sak bags, a lady came over to put some non name brand bags on a table and I reached over to pick one up and a lady next to me grabbed it right out of my hand. I looked at her, {#emotions_dlg.glare}and I left the store. {#emotions_dlg.mad} It was pure madness. I have no patience for that sort of "swarm" and nonsense.

The good news is that I got to go see a good friend who lives in Stockton. We were supposed to go to this together but she had to work NYE and didn't get off work until 6 am.... and had worked a 12 hour shift. So I went by myself to Dillards and then to her place after she had her "cat nap". It was great seeing her and her family again... and that was the ONLY pleasant part of the day.

Then drove another hour home, in drizzling rain with even MORE 18 wheelers and more traffic. Its cold and dark and damp here. I am going to park myself in front of the heater with Mackie (my scottie who would climb INSIDE the heater if he could) and I am going to just zone out the rest of the evening.

Congrats to those of you who had success at the Dillards sale Good job!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I don't have the temperment.

Page 1 of 1
ahirau1293929568.563491 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Portland, OR

Hi Joy, I'm sorry your trip to Dillards was a bust and having to experience such rude shoppers - I don't blame you a bit for leaving. I guess some stores were in a frenzy today. I suppose I got lucky because I visited 3 Dillards today and all still had some name brand bags including D&B by the time I got there, and they were crowded but not unmanageable. I hope the rest of your holiday was enjoyable!

JoyJ1293929704.9936790 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010California
On 1/1/2011 ahirau said:

Hi Joy, I'm sorry your trip to Dillards was a bust and having to experience such rude shoppers - I don't blame you a bit for leaving. I guess some stores were in a frenzy today. I suppose I got lucky because I visited 3 Dillards today and all still had some name brand bags including D&B by the time I got there, and they were crowded but not unmanageable. I hope the rest of your holiday was enjoyable!

Congrats on your success "A"!! I saw the pics and you got yourself some more beauties!!

Good job GF and en"joy" those new bags!!!

bengals gal1293930169.0037514 PostsRegistered 3/30/2010

Girl, you should've picked up a Brahmin and whacked that lady upside her head....Bet she would've dropped the purse then!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

University Of Bling Graduate....Class of 2011
I'm no beauty queen, I'm just beautiful me.~Selena Gomez

Persus in ­California1293930560.973509 PostsRegistered 3/15/2010

Awwwwww JJ - I'm so sorry you had such a crummy experience at the Dillards sale today! I had such high hopes that you would find some great deals and come home with a wonderful bag for all your trouble. That just isn't fair, especially after all you had to go through to get there...so sorry sweetie. I had a similar experience last year with a woman who tried to grab a bag right out of my hands...these people have no self-control! I just told her she could look at it after I was done looking at it. Possession is 9/10ths of the law woman!

The Dillards site has been crashing on and off (mostly on) all day and it was virtually impossible to actually get an item in your cart without it saying it was soldout. It was about 11:30am or so when I got on the site and by that time everything I might have been interested in was gone.

Just stay safe, warm, and cozy with Mackie curled up next to you and do your shopping online next year! I guess we both had to check it out just once! And that was plenty enough for me too! Have a wonderful rest of your evening sweetie!

Qwackertoo1293931612.67310136 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

I'm so sorry you went through all that. Makes me even more glad I stayed home today~!

CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- no different than Pravda

Is everything a political football? Then this has been one very long & drawn-out Super Bowl~!

cocomom1293932129.811018 PostsRegistered 8/4/2010

JJ so glad you made it back safe, I hate big highways with lots of trucks and all. I was just thinking the other day when I had been shopping, it is so odd how there is this mentality where people want what others have not because they really want it but just because they want to get something first. I have told my husband don't even say out loud what we are looking for because if someone hears you they will grab it first. I call it yard sale mentality because I first noticed it when I used to go to garage sales a lot, I don't go at all any more. I wonder if people realize how rude and desperate they come across when they do things like that. But this is basically why I shop QVC, no crowds, no weather,no trucks(except UPS--which we love)Sorry you had a bad time(I knew it was bad when I saw the word "fricken".LOL{#emotions_dlg.lol}

scottiegal1293936961.0072445 PostsRegistered 10/10/2008

So sorry about your bad Dillard's experience Joy. At least you got to reconnect with an old friend, so the trip wasn't a total loss{#emotions_dlg.huh} I tried to order the Portofino large e/w sac in desert online shortly after midnight but--guess what? SOLD OUT!!! even though the website said still available. Fuggedaboutit! no longer interested LOL! I think this is a sign for me to just enjoy the wonderful bags I've been collecting over the last 6 years and call it a day (Year) hahaha.

Hope sweet little Mackie kept you warm and cozy this evening. I had to work today of all the horrible things--so my mood isn't much better than yours. Time for Pizza and Scotties--that'll cheer me up!! Have a good evening Joy.Wink

JoyJ1293937005.4076790 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010California
On 1/1/2011 bengals gal said:

Girl, you should've picked up a Brahmin and whacked that lady upside her head....Bet she would've dropped the purse then!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

LOL hey.. thats an idea!!! Shoulda thought about that!!

Thanks for the support everyone and kind words everyone!! I think I was just hoping for a great deal like I got on those Brahmins... and there were NO crowds that day... and they were 30% off sale prices, which is still a great deal. Oh well, I look at it this way, it wasn't "meant to be" and there is another great purse out there just waiting for me.

However, next year, I'm gonna follow Ahirau!!! she seems to have great luck at

Dillards!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

luvgems1293944256.81315 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006

Dillards will have more sales. Usually the last Wednesday/ Thursday of the month for next few months. Then they stop and restart around July.

New Years is always crazy. Everyone at my local Dillards are very nice. I left around 10:30 am and they still had a few sale Dooneys left.

I am sorry for your bad experience. Like Scottiegirl said at least you met an old friend. Not a total loss!

bigsister1293969990.415439 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Southern California

I would avoid that scene any day. I'm glad I didn't search out a Dillards in my area and make the trip.

On the bright side, wasn't it great to get home, put your lazy clothes on, snuggle with Mackie, and be warm. Ahhhh, home where you're warm and dry and not at the zoo.

Last edited on 1/2/2011

Last edited on 1/2/2011

Islandgirl­70321293971208.8712846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA
On 1/1/2011 JoyJ said:

OMG... I traveled one hour one way in drizzling rain on a freeway, behind big 18 wheel trucks to get to this sale, my first AND LAST New Years sale!! that place was a fricken ZOO. I got there around 10 am....all the name brand bags, MK, Dooney, Brahmin, Cole Haan that had been on sale had been cleaned out. I was strolling around looking for other bags, Tigs or The Sak bags, a lady came over to put some non name brand bags on a table and I reached over to pick one up and a lady next to me grabbed it right out of my hand. I looked at her, {#emotions_dlg.glare}and I left the store. {#emotions_dlg.mad} It was pure madness. I have no patience for that sort of "swarm" and nonsense.

The good news is that I got to go see a good friend who lives in Stockton. We were supposed to go to this together but she had to work NYE and didn't get off work until 6 am.... and had worked a 12 hour shift. So I went by myself to Dillards and then to her place after she had her "cat nap". It was great seeing her and her family again... and that was the ONLY pleasant part of the day.

Then drove another hour home, in drizzling rain with even MORE 18 wheelers and more traffic. Its cold and dark and damp here. I am going to park myself in front of the heater with Mackie (my scottie who would climb INSIDE the heater if he could) and I am going to just zone out the rest of the evening.

Congrats to those of you who had success at the Dillards sale Good job!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I don't have the temperment.

I'm with ya' sweetie.....I didn't even bother leavin' my island to go to Dillards.

The amount of money I woulda saved on a Dooney wouldn't even come close to what I'd have to spend on my bail, attorney fees, etc.!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

PUMPKIN1293972082.703553 PostsRegistered 4/14/2006Indiana
On 1/2/2011 Islandgirl7032 said:
On 1/1/2011 JoyJ said:

I'm with ya' sweetie.....I didn't even bother leavin' my island to go to Dillards.

The amount of money I woulda saved on a Dooney wouldn't even come close to what I'd have to spend on my bail, attorney fees, etc.!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

SIU Mom1293977084.2073369 PostsRegistered 11/30/2009
On 1/1/2011 JoyJ said:

Girl, I'm sorry, I didn't know that was you!{#emotions_dlg.lol} Just kidding, I don't like that kid of madhouse shopping (especially on a no-name bag! LOL!), which is why I never shop on Black Friday. That craziness starts in the parking lot with people willing to run you down for a parking spot!

At least you got to spend some time with your good friend. I bet you had her cracking up at your Dillard's story! I can imagine how you described the scene! LOL!

I also popped in this thread to tell you how much I love my "JOY" bag: my Fiore Plum Tapestry Tote (A211236). As you recall it was because of your thread about the clearance price on this tote that prompted me to buy it. I've been carrying it off and on, but it is the bag I wanted to carry to start 2011! I did my running around with it yesterday and it's going with me to my SIL's house today. Thanks again!Kiss

Qgirl1293977243.1874167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

I never could order anything on the website. I think it crashed.

Last edited on 1/2/2011

Last edited on 1/2/2011

kelsey 031294239730.07781 PostsRegistered 3/28/2010

our dilliards stores become quite a zoo during sales!! its hit or miss being able to get in and out with what you came to purchase.. that is horrible you had to travel in such horrid weather for the sale. yet we dooney girls do that. dont let this put you off from your pursuit of a nice handbag or accessory. we girls on this website are a very nice group and welcome stories of the pursuit.

Qwackertoo1294243869.76310136 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

Anyone ever been to a Dillard's Outlet store? They had one, I'm not sure IF it is still there, in Arlington, TX @ the OLD Forum 303 Mall. When the kids were younger, like 3 & 5, mostly found stuff for me & daughter and almost nothing for son . . . I picked up about 3500.00 worth of clothes for 350.00. Clothing selection was pretty good . . . purses, not so much.

CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- no different than Pravda

Is everything a political football? Then this has been one very long & drawn-out Super Bowl~!

Page 1 of 1