Valued Contributor

do you wear DB coats that are too large? Do they still look good?

I want to buy a coat, but am loosing weight! Do you wear his coats when they are too big? Do they have to be the right size to look good? I've never had one of his coats, and I really want one! TIA
Esteemed Contributor

Re: do you wear DB coats that are too large? Do they still look good?

I've only purchased one DB coat from QVC, so I don't have a lot of expertise in this area, but I'll share my experience. . .

I bought a suede coat with faux fur lining. I could have easily sized down, but I kept the larger size because I wanted the extra room when wearing sweaters. This was not a fitted design, so I think that's why the larger size looked OK. I was very impressed with the quality of the suede. It looked great after years of wear; however, the faux fur trim around the collar and rolled up sleeve looked worn after the first year. I received lots of compliments on that coat. I don't think I could've found anything comparable for the price here locally.

Respected Contributor

I have lost weight and find that oversized coats make me feel dumpy, sloppy. The shoulders are too big, the shoulder seams in the wrong place, the coats are too large around the hips. Also, if it's truly cold and a coat is too loose, cold air can go under and up more easily. Just my 2 cents.

Super Contributor

I think it will depend on your body shape. I have wide shoulders and usually buy my coats a size larger because I like the way they hang ... and I like to have enough room to wear a jacket under my coat.

If you have narrow shoulders, it might look sloppy.

Trusted Contributor

My experience has been DB coats run large and even without losing weight, you could probably size down. I'd either order a size smaller or wait on your weight loss.

Honored Contributor

I agree with happygal, wait till you are near your goal weight and then order the coat you want. A mis-sized coat doesn't flatter anyone. Good luck on your weight loss.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much! I'll try to wait...
Honored Contributor

I agree with the above, for all the reasons listed. I have donated 5 size 2X coats in the last year. I've tried to wear them, but they've hung off me. I have one very fitted 2X that I'll still be able to enjoy by changing the button, 1 L, and one 1X that I can wear right now.
Honored Contributor

I like them oversized because I can wear anything from sweat shirt to a dressy suit underneath in the winter or cuddle up in one for outdoor activities. They are my comfort coat--more about cozy than looks for me when it is cold outside and nothing else will do! I don't wear them except for fun or casual outings--like light looking and such. They are fun wear for me--not trying to fake a fur.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't purposely buy a coat knowing that I was losing weight. But when I went down to a 14, I did wear my Pamela Mccoy fur and it was 3 sizes too big. I had to wrap big wool scarves around my neck to keep the cold out. But it looked good. Her coats had genuine metal furrier hooks, so the coat stayed closed. It was a swing style and that helped.