Not applicable
Ordered two jackets and both have a " basement odor" anyone else?
Honored Contributor

Re: Odor on new clothing items

Since almost everything comes from China (on a slow boat) they use chemicals to try and cut down on mildew.

Sounds like your jackets do have that musty mildew smell...

Honored Contributor

I would send them back but first, I'd call and insist they pay return and original shipping. There are a ton of complaints on the 3/4 sleeve So Comfy denim-look jacket.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you like them & want to keep them you could try washing them & adding some white vinegar. That may take care of it.

Honored Contributor

I haven't bought a jacket from D&C in a couple months but I've bought some pants and no odor.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I haven't noticed an odor, but I've notice things arriving in wrinkled messes. I had ordered a Dennis Basso raincoat that I almost returned because it was such wrinkled mess. Today I received three Louis D sweaters that arrived like someone has been sitting on them. If this continues, I'm reluctant to continue ordering….especially these more expensive designer items. I don't mind occasional ironing, but this is ridiculous!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Imported items, are sprayed and treated. They have a fabric finish as well that usually contains formaldehyde or like chemical. Some fabrics, especially cotton absorb the odor . I have a pretty touchy sniffer. To me the clothing smells like a stack of old newspapers. Sometimes rayon smells like cat "spray". If it has been in the UPS truck in the heat for days, the odor is even worse.

Because of the fabric finish that is why many items will say "we recommend you wash your clothing before wearing". Dead give away

Honored Contributor

It's formaldehyde. Anyone who has sewn very much can tell you that. People who work in fabric stores will tell you they sometimes feel light headed or dizzy, it's the formaldehyde. The reason it's so strong is because it's sprayed way more coming from other countries (not just China) and it's been in heavy metal containers (shipped here) It also keeps away the bugs coming from other countries.

You should wash everything you get from fabric stores and other stores.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 annabellethecat said:

It's formaldehyde. Anyone who has sewn very much can tell you that. People who work in fabric stores will tell you they sometimes feel light headed or dizzy, it's the formaldehyde. The reason it's so strong is because it's sprayed way more coming from other countries (not just China) and it's been in heavy metal containers (shipped here) It also keeps away the bugs coming from other countries.

You should wash everything you get from fabric stores and other stores.

yes annebelle, I totally agree. About 12 years ago my friend who was a quilter, was having

anaphylactic shock episodes that sent her to the ER, once almost killing her. Turned out she was allergic to these little quilt squares that came pre packaged at Michael's. Like little fabric hearts and squares you ironed and stitched on to quilt?

After 2 episodes they didn't know what it was, then the third time she was found on the floor with the square in her hand. She was so lucky her BFF came by when she passed out. They called ambulance, they took her and the fabric squares to hospital. Doctor said it was the coating and the insecticide on the fabric. Yes, it did have formaldehyde and she was highly allergic. Scary!

Honored Contributor

Anything that sits in moist ships, with climate changes, etc. for a long time needs to be sprayed because of pests, mice, moths, spiders, and insects, etc. And possible mildew. Otherwise, we would open the package and might have many of the above crawling/flying around. That's why I wash almost everything before wearing.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).