New Contributor

All Women are not Proportionate!!

I've noticed that most designers although they make all sizes and petites, talls, regulars, etc. They all seem to assume that all woman are proportionate.

Many of us are larger at the top and smaller at the bottom. and vice versa.

When I purchase jeans if they fit my waist even the stretchy at the top kind then the legs are too big and the back side as well.

When I purchase capris then the legs again are too big and the portion of the pant leg at my calf is so huge that I look like I'm wearing too short bell bottoms.

No matter the size that is being made if you are small or large and you are proportionate then there is no problem.

Thanks, Just saying........

Esteemed Contributor

Re: All Women are not Proportionate!!

Granny Di, I "feel your pain" as the old saying goes! I have the same problem, carry weight in my middle, slim hips and thighs, small derriere. Jeans and pants are not usually made to fit that kind of figure. However, I have found two jeans that do fit, for the most part. One is the Denim & Co How Smooth Bootcut jeans that came out last year. They fit me perfectly! However, when they "brought them back" (I say that tongue in cheek), they didn't bring back the same jean, they "made it better". This one still fits, although I had to size up one size for these, but the legs are bigger from the thigh to the calf and are called straight leg, even though they're actually tapered. QVC says they're bringing back the original bootcut version-but I'm afraid it still won't be the same. The other brand is Diane Gilman's DG2 jeans on HSN - they stretch more in the waist and do have slimmer hips and thighs. You might want to try a pair of those. The sizing there is also inconsistent, though, so you might need to try a couple of sizes. The last ones I tried, her dip-dyed bootcuts, were sized smaller than usual and did not have nearly as much stretch in the waist. So it seems that, for people like us, it's always a roll of the dice. These two are the best I've found for my figure type. Good luck!

BTW, Denim & Co just brought How Smooth capris-I have them on order to try. I have same problem as you with capris, but we'll see on these....Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I've given up on D&C jeans because of all the discontinued styles and changes in the length. I'm finding Lee Riders have quite a bit of stretch, therefore they might work for unperfect figures. Like mine.

Trusted Contributor

I've found that the female designers on the Q tend to design their clothes for women who are shaped like them.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Super Contributor

If you go to Wiki - US Standard Clothing Sizes you can get an idea of the measurements they use.

The difference between my bust / waist /hips is negligible - I have a fairly straight body shape w/wide shoulders and long torso. Buying readymade has been a problem since I was a teenager. That's the reason I learned to make my own clothes.

Respected Contributor

On 3/6/2014 Kathleen said:

If you go to Wiki - US Standard Clothing Sizes you can get an idea of the measurements they use.

The difference between my bust / waist /hips is negligible - I have a fairly straight body shape w/wide shoulders and long torso. Buying readymade has been a problem since I was a teenager. That's the reason I learned to make my own clothes.

Guess I'm a freak of nature, because I don't fit neatly into any of those charts {#emotions_dlg.blink}. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Don't have the time to be making all my clothes.

Honored Contributor

True. But what can a clothing designer do about that? If you have an odd shape, you either find a good tailor who can alter things or you do the best you can with what's available.

Honored Contributor

And your solution to the problem is what?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2014 chrystaltree said:

True. But what can a clothing designer do about that? If you have an odd shape, you either find a good tailor who can alter things or you do the best you can with what's available.

You are 100% right.......I have broad shoulders, and short legs......and am "short", but definitely not "petite". I learned early-on how to do my own alterations.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Isn't it safer to say that no two women are proportionate to one another? We all need to be aware of our own short comings and long comings and purchase to suit. For me that happens largely by trial and error.