Frequent Contributor

I believe I saw threads awhile ago about the odor in the black denim. Can't pull any of these up now. Every time I order black denim in Denim and Co., they have this awful odor almost like car exhaust smell. Washing them doesn't help. Thought I saw some tips long time ago about this. Any have this problem and what can I do about it.

Like to have black denim but hate the smell. Thanks in advance.

Respected Contributor
I have that same problem but I bought my denim jeans from Macy's INC. I have washed them and used fabric softner and they still have that odor.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

Have you tried using a cup of white vinegar in the rinse water?

Super Contributor
Add one cup of white vinegar to the wash. It also sets the color and prevents color bleed .
Respected Contributor
On 2/6/2014 gazelle77 said: Add one cup of white vinegar to the wash. It also sets the color and prevents color bleed .

oh wow, didn't know this about setting the color. i just bought 2 pair of great fitting GAP dark denim jeans & while they don't have an odor, I know the color will bleed.

may i offer as well that yes, the denim & company jeans do have a permanent chemical smell. more specifically, the black ones. i stopped ordering D&C.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not had that problem with my black or dark indigo Denim & Co jeans, but the DG2 Diane Gilman jeans on HSN are notorious for this problem. I had two pair that I hung on a door and left them there for a month (after washing them) and every time I walked by that door I could smell it. They're not that bad now, but if I put my nose against them I can still smell it slightly. There were very few HSN reviews that said they solved the problem. I've heard you could also try baking soda in the wash water.

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped buying anything black denim from QVC for this reason.

Honored Contributor

You are so right. The smell is so bad I put them back in the package immediately. I tried washing them in white vinegar. It didn't work for me.

I got the tip on it from you ladies. Funny, I can't smell much but I can smell those pants!!

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/8/2014 annabellethecat said:

You are so right. The smell is so bad I put them back in the package immediately. I tried washing them in white vinegar. It didn't work for me.

I got the tip on it from you ladies. Funny, I can't smell much but I can smell those pants!!

I washed my jacket in vinegar.. It did not work for me either.. It came out smelling like a chemical vinegar smell.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

I wonder why some people have the terrible smell and other people don't? It is a smell that seems like the chemical would be very toxic just to inhale it!

I wonder what it is? Any ideas?