Super Contributor

Coffee maker for college student?? Advice??

What brand would you give? Any recommendations?

DD wants a coffee maker for Christmas, doesn't know if she wants a Keurig or Verismo etc. I am still making coffee at home with my Mr. Coffee and don't know much about these single serve coffee makers. I have been tempted many times, but, have never purchased.

Also can anyone please tell me why there are so many different models of the Keurigs, and why one would want one of those vs. a Verismo? Or something else?

I think she thinks that if she has her own coffee maker she will spend less money on coffee at the campus Starbucks. But someone told me, the pods are very expensive for the Verismo. Size is also a consideration, and this is just for her so if it could be a smaller unit that would be great too.

Thanks for any information and suggestions. I want her to be happy with her coffee maker.Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: Coffee maker for college student?? Advice??

Not a coffee drinker, but I know that Keurig has a higher than average failure rate. I think my mom is on her third in four years.

I would not buy anything that REQUIRES pods- you need something with the My K Cup type feature, where you can add your own coffee. Otherwise, it's probably not cheaper than going to Starbuck's.

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on how much coffee she drinks as for what size. kcups and pods are expensive. People pay for the convenience. One with a timer for sure.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Frequent Contributor

I read an article that said those Keurig type coffee makers get mold inside that you can't clean out...yuk! The pods are expensive too & can't be recycled. I would get her a Mr. Coffee @ Bed Bath & Beyond for $20.00. Give her a bag of good New England brand coffee & she'll be good to go. It's easy to operate & keep clean. I love mine.

Regular Contributor

My suggestion would be the personal Keurig. One cup at a time and it's small.

For home use, we have a 12 cup pot with a carafe. (not a Keurig)

BUT if someone wants a cup later, hot chocolate or tea, my little Personal Keurig is great.

I don't know anything about the Verismo.

Valued Contributor

Definitely a Keurig!

Honored Contributor

I would try to discourage her from a Keurig. Mine stops working at least once a month. I had to call Keurig's customer service the first time and get them to walk me through how to fix the problem. You have to clean the needles with a paperclip to get it unclogged. I'm not sure a student would want to fool with doing that. I've read that the Verisimo does not make good coffee. I used to have a Tassimo and it worked great. It never quit working. I switched to Keurig because they have more variety, but when it finally dies completely I'll go back to a regular coffee maker.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

On 11/16/2014 NickNack said:

I would try to discourage her from a Keurig. Mine stops working at least once a month. I had to call Keurig's customer service the first time and get them to walk me through how to fix the problem. You have to clean the needles with a paperclip to get it unclogged. I'm not sure a student would want to fool with doing that. I've read that the Verisimo does not make good coffee. I used to have a Tassimo and it worked great. It never quit working. I switched to Keurig because they have more variety, but when it finally dies completely I'll go back to a regular coffee maker.

Have you tried dropping your lid slower? I know when I have cups that are pressured I do that or push it down on the bottom needle. I think it keeps the coffee from spraying up into the needle.

They make nice 4 cup makers, I've seen some with SS carafes also.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I would give her your old one, then buy a new one for yourself, if you're so inclined. Then she can try it and see if she likes it.

Super Contributor

The personal Keurig. The K-cups are more expensive than bags of ground coffee, but easier to use, less mess and a whole lot cheaper than Starbucks and she can get k-cups in the Starbucks flavors and can get them at any grocery store. Verisimo pods are more expensive and harder to find. For a single person, the cost of the k-cups is balanced by the convenience and ease of cleaning.

BTW, I've had a keurig for 3 years, never had a mold problem, run vinegar through it every month or so to descale because we have hard water.