Valued Contributor

If you don't want the new, Keurig 2.0, and need a new Keurig, which would you purchase?

Hi Ladies,

My current brewer is about 5-6 years old--I think. I cannot remember when I purchased, but it has to be somewhere in this range. I believe the model is a B40 (does that make sense?) It is currently on the fritz and I'm worried that we will have to purchase a new one. BUT, I do NOT want the new Keurig 2.0. Which of the other models is the best, in your opinion???

Our current brewer was purchased at BJs. And typically can be cleaned and brought back to life when it seems to be slowing down its brew speed or generally acting funky. I'm starting to think that we've been REALLY lucky with the lifespan of this machine. Especially when I've read so many stories here of people having a heck of a time with their brewers. Or going through 1 brewer a year, etc. But I really think that now it is on its way out.

There are only a few models on the Q website. And I'm not even sure I will purchase from the Q--there are other retailers that have good options, too.

Anyone?

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

Re: If you don't want the new, Keurig 2.0, and need a new Keurig, which would you purchase?

Also, does it make sense to purchase the *older* models? Like, I want to be sure I have my head wrapped around this new brewer k-cup thing. Like, I will still be able to purchase my regular k-cups, correct? I guess I'm a tad confused. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

Re: If you don't want the new, Keurig 2.0, and need a new Keurig, which would you purchase?

I have a Platinum right now and if the 2.0 wasn't available I'd get another one if I needed one.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 glmama said:

Also, does it make sense to purchase the *older* models? Like, I want to be sure I have my head wrapped around this new brewer k-cup thing. Like, I will still be able to purchase my regular k-cups, correct? I guess I'm a tad confused. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

As long as they have a warranty I don't see why not. The new cups will fit in the old models.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

Like the one I have... the Platinum. I prefer the single version. Only two of us. The rest of the pot would be wasted. That is the reason I got this in the first place. I wanted to save my hubby from making a production out of making coffee. You have no idea what he gladly went through starting with grinding his own to cleaning out the pot daily. Believe it or not it was a hard sell to switch him over. (I DON'T DRINK COFFEE OR TEA) I wanted a new gadget. When he gave in and used the Keurig for the first time, he was sold. Now he would not go back.... one cup at a time.

Honored Contributor

Probably the Cuisinart version

Frequent Contributor

Bunn My Cafe. Uses K cups, pods or loose coffee. All is single serve, all adaptions for the different modes come with it.
Honored Contributor

I would search Amazon, or look to see what BB&B has. If you use one of their 20% off coupons you could really score a deal. I second the recommendation for the Cuisinart version. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money (no more than $150 tops), because no telling how long the supply of unlicensed K-cups will continue. At least a year, but as far as 2 years, less certain. Edit: BBB has the Platinum on Clearance, meaning it won't be around forever. If you use a coupon it would be $120 now.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

K39898

Get this one on easy pay or go back to BJs or Sams or Kohls and get the ones they have. I've got one of the originals, like you, and have had it some 7 years. I make coffee every morning, but I have recently purchased an AreoPress from Amazon. Product Details It makes wonderfully strong coffee so the strength can be adjusted by adding water, crema can form, and makes great lattes. There are different brew methods, fill and push or fill sit for 3 minutes and then push. It is easy to clean, but does require more than 1T of coffee for the brew that is more like espresso. It calls for two scoops (their scoop is larger) but I use one and get wonderful black coffee. I am using Gevalia right now, but have used Folgers bold and that is great as well. I do have an electric kettle, so it is pretty quick but not as user friendly as the Keurig. I'll wait a while for the 2.0 to prove itself, if I have to replace mine, pray not, before I jump at it. People will engineer a way around the cup issue; we always do. Here are user pics of the Areopress.

Just made a nice, rich latte with french vanilla non-dairy creamer and 1 scoop of Gevalia Mocha coffee....YUM!

Super Contributor

(Thanks, glmama)

I just got back from Kohl's and there is a stand labeled "Discontinued K-cups)---and there were Swiss Miss, Starbuck's, the Apple Cider, etc. all with the official Keurig stamp.

Figures, just when ya learn to LOVE something...

And the new 2.0 (which will not use the old cups)was really cheap at a certain discount store when I saw it yesterday.

I love Keurig, but I want to use whatever brand I want in it.