Contributor

Another keurig bites the dust!

My keurig platinum bit the dust apparently with an upper needle clog that I cannot clear and the company won't do anything because out of warranty. I did get a discount for a new one, but it bothers me that it is nothing really broken but a design flaw. However, while researching a "fix" I found that it is recommended that when you out a kcup I the machine, you press down on the kcup to pierce it with the bottom needle, THEN close the lid. This releases the pressure in the cup that can shoot coffee grounds up into the upper needle and water line. I asked the rep about it and she said that yes, that is what she does! I told her that maybe they could add it to the owners manual so everybody knows! Maybe you already know this but I thought I would pass it on.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another keurig bites the dust!

Quite some time ago, I had the same problem.

I had gotten the Keurig from QVC and called Keurig directly. The machine may not have been a year old, but they sent me a replacement and I opted for the simplest machine they had.

Personally, I hate these machines and don't use one in my own home. However, we have a small B&B and people seem to LOVE the darn thing. It cuts down on wasting coffee, but those little pods are never cheap.

There is a "descaling" process I've never done, but, a needle clog like you described must be a common problem.

Wanted to add it is a shame they know of this issue, and have no easy resolution. And too bad they would not send you a replacement. I dare say they have lost a customer.

Esteemed Contributor

The various problems people have is why I bought my keurig from Kohls- I can get an exchange or return anytime with them! So far so good, I've had mine for about 6 months. I think I'm piercing the k cup the way you mention- I close the lid very slowly and let it sit after piercing the k cup. Really just to be sure all the water is in the tank, I have the most basic model (less bells/whistles to break I figure!). Seems there are additional benefits though!

Honored Contributor

I NEED my Keurig, and will go to heroic lengths to insure its ongoing health. I got a wild buy on it at Costco, and would be searching one out there should we ever be parted. COSTCO also has excellent return policies.
Super Contributor

My son had 3 go bad over about a 5 year period...customer service was great on the first two, but on the third one pretty much told him to pound sand... Masterbuilt and their smoker which has the digital temp unit that only lasts about 20 uses is pretty much the same way..they offer you a discount on another one...
Honored Contributor

I don't understand. I don't use mine often, maybe 2 times a week.

I do love to make ice tea in it. I do that a few times a week.

I recommend you do that if you haven't. It takes the same amount of time as a cup of coffee and it is sooooo refreshing!

I keep the lid closed, is that wrong? Would it help if I ran just hot water over it maybe every 4 or 5 tries?

Contributor

Annabelle you are not wrong. What I was trying to describe is when you place to kcup into the holder, you should press down on the kcup and allow it to pierce the bottom of the kcup before you close the lid down. Sorry for the confusion
Esteemed Contributor

I have both a Keurig and a Breville KCup machine. I use the Breville all day, every day and am very pleased with it. The Keurig is in the family room and does a fine job for the use down there. When my Breville broke they paid the S&H and sent me a new one. I was so impressed by Breville's customer service that I have purchased other appliances in that brand. Yes, they are pricey but the warranties are longer and the CS is excellent. It drives me crazy that companies think these are throw away items. None of these coffee makers are cheap.

Regular Contributor

My kuerig is still going strong after 5 years with no issues. I must have a keurig and will replace it the same day it goes whenever that happens. LOVE my keurig!
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry that this happened.

Knock wood, we have been soooo lucky with ours. I can't remember exactly how long we've owned ours, but I believe that in the fall of this year it will be 4 years, at least??? I am crossing fingers and knocking wood as I type this!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}