Frequent Contributor

Making iced coffee with leftover coffee

I like to have an iced coffee every morning. I usually brew 2 servings of my favorite DD hazelnut at night (in a 4-cup drip coffee maker) so I have 1 serving for the following morning, and one the day after that. My question is if I make a 10-cup pot (5 servings), would it still be good to drink on the 5th day? As I'm not a coffee snob, I'm curious as to what everyone does.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Making iced coffee with leftover coffee

I find refrigerated coffee lasts many days, give it a try!. I think everyone's taste tolerance varies - for instance in a restaurant I know if coffee is an hour or two old (especially decaf!) since I drink it black.

Trusted Contributor

Love iced coffee....think I will try your idea NoTan. I like the vanilla flavor...just didn't think to make it with leftover coffee...that will be a treat after work today.

Honored Contributor

Try it and see. It won't be a health risk, only a taste risk.

If you don't leave it on the warmer before you ice it, that will be a big help. Drip coffee left on the warmer starts going downhill pretty quickly and I wouldn't drink it after an hour on the warmer.

Respected Contributor

I usually make a coffee concentrate in the summer to use for iced coffee. Here is a good link to the process. The link is about making the concentrate for hot coffee, but it works perfectly well for iced coffee.

Respected Contributor

i use leftover coffee, too. sometimes i splash some flavoring in it, too-carmel is my new favorite. then i add no fat cream/milk and sometimes a splenda. the flavored creamers are good too.

Frequent Contributor

I shall make a big pot and see! I do like the idea of coffee concentrate, too!

Valued Contributor

I noticed at the grocery store that you can buy iced coffee in a carton. I never tried it though.

Honored Contributor

I make suntea and leave it in the fridge. let the coffee cool down and put it in a pitcher then store in the fridge, my only question would be how will it taste as far as freshness after a couple of days.

Frequent Contributor

On 6/9/2014 jackthebear said:

I make suntea and leave it in the fridge. let the coffee cool down and put it in a pitcher then store in the fridge, my only question would be how will it taste as far as freshness after a couple of days.

That was my issue, how fresh it would taste on day 4 or 5. I'll give it a whirl.