Respected Contributor

Anyone getting a tax refund ?

Suze Orman suggested the refund go into a Roth IRA. But if you have bills, is it best to pay those off first? I was wondering if anyone is getting a tax refund and what do you do with it? Use it as fun money or use it toward the future?
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone getting a tax refund ?

What is a refund?

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised Suze would endorse "refund" thought. My dad used to say he "could invest that money better than the government can". I'm earning interest on that $ all yr long....unfortunately, the piper has to be paid in April. But I understand the "use this practice like a savings acct" thought...use the refund to pay your high-interest bills down.

Valued Contributor

Nope. Never. Pay in and pay extra all year long and pay in again in April.

Honored Contributor

Are ya kidding? And I have to pay someone to tell me how much I owe........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Usually we bank it in savings. This year we banked half and are using other half for expenses on upcoming trip. We don't get a huge refund.

Everyone's circumstances are different. Some investment advisors recommend adjusting your withholdings so there is little to no refund.

However, strictly considering the question, I think Suze's recommendation is sound advice.

Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2014 sidsmom said:

I'm surprised Suze would endorse "refund" thought. My dad used to say he "could invest that money better than the government can". I'm earning interest on that $ all yr long....unfortunately, the piper has to be paid in April. But I understand the "use this practice like a savings acct" thought...use the refund to pay your high-interest bills down.

I think she changed her tune with interest rates, etc being so low.

Contributor

My refund is always very small (if any) and just goes to normal expenses.

Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2014 sidsmom said:

Have you seen interest rates on CDs and savings accounts? Not much.

Any money invested in bonds has been a bust too.

Stocks are a risk as well.

Respected Contributor

We usually have to pay quite a bit. This year we are getting a refund. Not too much and am definitely not kicking myself for it not being invested all year. It would have amounted to $4 with the terrible interest rates. Just happy for the refund. We pay the government so much it's sickening.