Maxi Dresses
141 Members and 10171 Guests Online

Coffee Talk

Keurig Rivo vs Nespresso

Started 1380203637.273 in Coffee Talk | Last reply 1380907879.823 by BE mom
Hi all. I am looking for an espresso machine. My in laws have the Nespresso machine that the Q had last year. (I think it is the Lattisma). Now I have been looking at the Keurig Rivo. I know it uses Lavazza coffee which is great. The Nespresso makes a delicious, smooth espresso. Anyone use both machines.? Any opinions? Looking to also make Cappuccino.

Page 1 of 1
BE mom1380203785.58256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
On 9/26/2013 BE mom said: Hi all. I am looking for an espresso machine. My in laws have the Nespresso machine that the Q had last year. (I think it is the Lattisma). Now I have been looking at the Keurig Rivo. I know it uses Lavazza coffee which is great. The Nespresso makes a delicious, smooth espresso. Anyone use both machines.? Any opinions? Looking to also make Cappuccino.
I know you have to order the Nespresso pods. Looking for opions on taste.

Sooner1380229043.60313896 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I had a Nespresso espresso about an hour ago from my Nespresso Essenza machine (confused already?? LOL!!). It is like the one that QVC sold, which happens to be in my husband's office. I got this one on clearance a year or so ago at Williams-Sonoma. At home, we have the Pixie. We love them all and they make great espresso! You can do the single espresso shot or the double "americano" from any of the pods. The Essenza is on sale on their site for $99.

The pods you order from Nespresso--FAST shipping, great customer service, very reasonably price shipping too. They are about 67 cents per pod. They have lots of different coffees and a few flavored ones, but mostly just different varieties and blends. I don't think there are any I really don't like--and most I LOVE! They are always fresh and their descriptions of the tastes are very good--they don't all taste alike!

The milk frother was bundled with mine and I think hubby's too, and we have one for the Pixie at home. It works great and is SOOO easy to clean.

For me, the size of the Pixie (it is tiny!), the the quality and freshness of the coffee are what makes me love this machine. Plus the frother works great for cappuccinos!!!

Sooner1380229156.69313896 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I'll add: I don't drink coffee. I don't like coffee. BUT I love espresso and cappuccino and iced coffee. Go figure that! My husband drinks coffee but didn't want anything to do with the Pixie when I bought it. He held out for about a day and now HAS to have a cappuccino every day, usually after dinner!

BE mom1380243389.267256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
On 9/26/2013 Sooner said:

I had a Nespresso espresso about an hour ago from my Nespresso Essenza machine (confused already?? LOL!!). It is like the one that QVC sold, which happens to be in my husband's office. I got this one on clearance a year or so ago at Williams-Sonoma. At home, we have the Pixie. We love them all and they make great espresso! You can do the single espresso shot or the double "americano" from any of the pods. The Essenza is on sale on their site for $99.

The pods you order from Nespresso--FAST shipping, great customer service, very reasonably price shipping too. They are about 67 cents per pod. They have lots of different coffees and a few flavored ones, but mostly just different varieties and blends. I don't think there are any I really don't like--and most I LOVE! They are always fresh and their descriptions of the tastes are very good--they don't all taste alike!

The milk frother was bundled with mine and I think hubby's too, and we have one for the Pixie at home. It works great and is SOOO easy to clean.

For me, the size of the Pixie (it is tiny!), the the quality and freshness of the coffee are what makes me love this machine. Plus the frother works great for cappuccinos!!!

Thanks Sooner ! What is the difference between the pixel and and the Essenza ? Does it brew the same quality coffee?

BE mom1380244216.527256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
Where did you see it on sale. That's a great price

jewel31380245501.4931762 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006West Coast
The small Nespresso is $69 at Costco.

You'll never have significance in this life if it's all about you.

BE mom1380246650.27256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
Omg! Really! I don't have a Costco membership!

BE mom1380247237.337256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
On 9/26/2013 jewel3 said: The small Nespresso is $69 at Costco.
Did you happen to notice if the Aerocchino Frother was included in that $69 ?

Sooner1380248034.40713896 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 9/26/2013 BE mom said:

Thanks Sooner ! What is the difference between the pixel and and the Essenza ? Does it brew the same quality coffee?

I think they are both 19 bar machines. I really can't tell much if any difference. I've never compared them side by side, but I don't notice any drop off in the cheaper machine. Those were $99 on the Nespresso site--where you get the pods for them. Take a look at it and the coffees and see what you think! There is a Nespresso US site.

BE mom1380308321.42256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
Thank you for all the input. I had wanted the Nespresso for a while. I know that the coffee is delicious. But now with Keurig Rivo, I was leaning towards that. But you ladies now talked me back into the Nespresso.

4uthebest1380310662.5773517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I think they are both 19 bar machines. I really can't tell much if any difference. I've never compared them side by side, but I don't notice any drop off in the cheaper machine. Those were $99 on the Nespresso site--where you get the pods for them. Take a look at it and the coffees and see what you think! There is a Nespresso US site.

Hi Sooner, actually with espresso, the optimum pressure to use is about 9.5 +/- .5.

15 bar is necessary to get to the 10 bar level. More importantly and where Nespresso and the Rivo seem to perform is the expression of 2 oz of coffee in the 20-30 seconds. I have not ever seen a professional espresso brewer opting to brew above a final pressure of 11 bar. I really do not think I would like the taste of espresso brewed at that pressure???

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Sooner1380314473.16713896 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 9/27/2013 4uthebest said:

Hi Sooner, actually with espresso, the optimum pressure to use is about 9.5 +/- .5.

15 bar is necessary to get to the 10 bar level. More importantly and where Nespresso and the Rivo seem to perform is the expression of 2 oz of coffee in the 20-30 seconds. I have not ever seen a professional espresso brewer opting to brew above a final pressure of 11 bar. I really do not think I would like the taste of espresso brewed at that pressure???

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Well, someone just back from Italy told me about 3 weeks ago it was better than most of the espresso he'd had there. I'm sure that the peasant I am I would not be one to judge. There are a lot of us here in the States I guess because they sell a LOT of those machines at our local Williams-Sonoma and get rave reviews. But after all, it IS OKLAHOMA. . .

4uthebest1380326950.1073517 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 9/27/2013 Sooner said:
On 9/27/2013 4uthebest said:

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Well, someone just back from Italy told me about 3 weeks ago it was better than most of the espresso he'd had there. I'm sure that the peasant I am I would not be one to judge. There are a lot of us here in the States I guess because they sell a LOT of those machines at our local Williams-Sonoma and get rave reviews. But after all, it IS OKLAHOMA. . .

Hi Sooner, I think I need to clarify a bit..15 bar is necessary for the pressure at extraction to be 10 Bar which should as the brew continues end up about 9 bar. Above 15 bar is just icing on the cake as the brew at expression should still be 10.. A final brew at 15 bar would be undrinkable IMHO.. I am not probably explaining myself well here and I just searched youtube and this link might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l22mJq4lrr8

soonersis1380339179.54935 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

I'll add: I don't drink coffee. I don't like coffee. BUT I love espresso and cappuccino and iced coffee. Go figure that! My husband drinks coffee but didn't want anything to do with the Pixie when I bought it. He held out for about a day and now HAS to have a cappuccino every day, usually after dinner!

Hey, Sooner, sounds like we have more in common than just being from Oklahoma (although I live in Texas now) as I don't really like to drink "regular" coffee either. My husband and I both like our coffee the same way and that's to start with espresso, whether we are drinking it hot or cold. Our favorite is iced coffee and we have a Saturday morning "date" at Starbucks where we get 6 shots of espresso and add our own sweetener and cream/almond milk to it before pouring over ice. We wanted to do the same at home on other days so when I heard about the Rivo I checked it out and decided to get one for home.

We are really pleased with the iced coffee it makes, tastes almost exactly like what we get at Starbucks. Haven't really made that much hot coffee with it yet as the weather has been too warm, but enjoyed the hot foam we can get with it so know we will like it during winter time.

I'm glad that BB&B is selling the Rivo now as I got a box of the pods there last week with my $5 coupon so that made them just 60 cents each which is a good deal.

Sounds like your Nespresso makes really good coffee too.

Boomer Sooner and Go Pokes! (figure that covers you one way or the other, Ha!)

I forgot to add this so am editing my post. I checked the Keurig website and the Rivo has 15 bars of pressure.

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Sooner1380400047.1613896 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 9/27/2013 soonersis said:

Hey, Sooner, sounds like we have more in common than just being from Oklahoma (although I live in Texas now) as I don't really like to drink "regular" coffee either. My husband and I both like our coffee the same way and that's to start with espresso, whether we are drinking it hot or cold. Our favorite is iced coffee and we have a Saturday morning "date" at Starbucks where we get 6 shots of espresso and add our own sweetener and cream/almond milk to it before pouring over ice. We wanted to do the same at home on other days so when I heard about the Rivo I checked it out and decided to get one for home.

We are really pleased with the iced coffee it makes, tastes almost exactly like what we get at Starbucks. Haven't really made that much hot coffee with it yet as the weather has been too warm, but enjoyed the hot foam we can get with it so know we will like it during winter time.

I'm glad that BB&B is selling the Rivo now as I got a box of the pods there last week with my $5 coupon so that made them just 60 cents each which is a good deal.

I forgot to add this so am editing my post. I checked the Keurig website and the Rivo has 15 bars of pressure.

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Last edited on 9/27/2013
It's all good Okies! We play ND today

BE mom1380424688.76256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
Thank you for all of the input. My parents are from Itaky so we grew up drinking espresso. My mother still makes it in an old fashioned espresso pot. My in laws bought the Nespresso last year here on the Q and they love it. I do have to say that the espresso it makes is delish. I would love tocompareboth machines.

soonersis1380430724.4935 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 9/28/2013 Sooner said:

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Hi, Sooner! I was really happy we led from start to finish (and what a start it was!) and beat the Irish! With OSU losing (hard to believe that one) it's good news for OU (can you tell I'm a Sooner fan?)

Sooner1380508413.99713896 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 9/28/2013 soonersis said:
On 9/28/2013 Sooner said:

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Last edited on 9/27/2013

Hi, Sooner! I was really happy we led from start to finish (and what a start it was!) and beat the Irish! With OSU losing (hard to believe that one) it's good news for OU (can you tell I'm a Sooner fan?)

Sooner born, Sooner bred, when I die I'll be Sooner dead!!! GREAT game! Very happy for the Bell Dozer. Also, we are on the same wavelength with coffee. I use almond milk and for a treat I'll use the 60 or 80 cal one. On days I'm being good, I'll use the unsweetened vanilla! But I LOVE it!!!! I didn't like the Nespresso chocolate flavored pods too much, but they have made wonderful iced coffee-go figure!!!

soonersis1380581141.643935 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

Sooner born, Sooner bred, when I die I'll be Sooner dead!!! GREAT game! Very happy for the Bell Dozer. Also, we are on the same wavelength with coffee. I use almond milk and for a treat I'll use the 60 or 80 cal one. On days I'm being good, I'll use the unsweetened vanilla! But I LOVE it!!!! I didn't like the Nespresso chocolate flavored pods too much, but they have made wonderful iced coffee-go figure!!!

Rah Oklahoma, Rah Oklahoma, Rah Oklahoma,

OK U! (Moved up to #11 in the AP poll. Yea!)

BE mom1380850544.493256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
Thanks everyone! With all of the input here and other reviews , I went with the Nespresso. Cant wait to get it. I know the espresso it produces is great.

BE mom1380907879.823256 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
Just received my machine. Im so excited! I already made my first espresso. Which flavor or blend do any of you recommend? I tried the Arpeggio. Creammy but very strong.

Page 1 of 1