Designer Fashion Clearance
157 Members and 13437 Guests Online

Coffee Talk

Exploding K-cups

Started 1357752535.23 in Coffee Talk | Last reply 1360535621.957 by viwanton

I apologize in advance if this topic was discussed before. I have the single serving Keuring. Since I've purchased this, I have bought several different type of k-cups. I have some from Keuring but I've also bought some from Walmart, Costco and Aldi. Some of these seem to "explode" in the machine as the water is running thru. For instance, instead of a pin hole in the top, there is a larger rip. This caused grounds to go all over the machine and water, coffee and grounds all over the counter.

I called Keuring when this 1st happened and they recommended I buy only k-cups they sell. I kinda expected that answer as they want to promote their items and the companies that sell with them.

I know there are several other stores you can buy k-type cups from and many people have had no problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2
oceantown1357756495.7038729 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

When I remove our used k cups from our machine, it has about a 1/8 inch hole at the top. There is no tear line running from the hole. The hole on the bottom of the k cup is much smaller. We had the original model of the personal size Keurig (which we now use when we go out of town), and now we have the Cuisinart single serve brewer with the water tank.

Be sure the k cup is sitting correctly into the holder when you close the lid. There was another topic about the grounds overflowing:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/coffee/topic/348712/postid/6927712/re-keurig-personal-brewer.aspx#6927712

I hope you can get this figured out. We use different brands of k cups, tully's, green mountain, safeway select hot chocolate, donut house, timothy's, kirkland (costco brand), etc.

If you are putting the k cup into the machine correctly and it is spilling grounds, I would think there is a problem with the machine.

yellow dogs1357758471.547 PostsRegistered 7/17/2010

I think it is probably the machine. Contact the company they should replace the unit for you. We had a problem with water leaking out of the bottom of the machine. We called them and they replaced the unit. We have the B60 model and it wasn't even 1 yr. old.

justlookn1357768898.403227 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006Chicago, IL

Thank you both for replying.

This is happening to my daughter when she uses the machine. It has not happened to me but I've seen the results of this {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I'm going to talk to her about how she's putting the cups in before I call Keuring customer service.

Thanks again ladies

molisa1357770319.731196 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010Missouri

Oh my! This has not happened to me yet. I love my Keurig but K-cups can be pricey, so this would really frustrate me. I agree with the other posters, I think it may be the machine. Good luck and I would like to know what happens!

dc20041357770864.997791 PostsRegistered 10/28/2004

Hmmm.. interesting. I will just chime in that I am also a Keurig user and have never encountered this.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1357771028.49714343 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I have a B70 and the personal machine and have never heard of this problem before, it hasn't happened with me. I think it's that particular machine and I would ask for a replacement if it's within the warranty period. Or take it back to where you bought it and exchange it.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

Lindaj461357777244.727176 PostsRegistered 5/15/2011

I had this happen to me also. I have the bigger keurig machine. I bought some cheap k-cups and walmart. I cannot remember the brand. There was a big rip in the cup. It was a huge mess to clean up. grounds all over. I wont be purchasing those anymore. Never had a problem with the original k-cups.

PuppyBreath1358202314.68718676 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Mn. Twins Fan

Per Keurig CS: to avoid this mess all you have to do is push the K-cup down to seat it firmly on the botton needle before you close the top. This releases any trapped air. Look out for domed tops. This happens when they travel through a high altitude. I do it with every one now. No more problems.

Puppy

Please support Pancreatic Cancer Research.

My favorite breed is Rescued.

isaboo1358203331.2031848 PostsRegistered 3/6/2007Texas

yes, this happened to me but it was only when I used a brand of "k-cups" I bought at SAMS.

It didn't happen every time I used one but it has never happened to me when I've used the "real"? ones I buy a BB&B or Amazon.

4uthebest1358248513.843527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 1/9/2013 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I have a B70 and the personal machine and have never heard of this problem before, it hasn't happened with me. I think it's that particular machine and I would ask for a replacement if it's within the warranty period. Or take it back to where you bought it and exchange it.

No it is NOT the machine, but the K Cup itself. There are a few varieties of K Cup that use a weaker foil and therefore will rip. As a result of this, since I am not willing to give up my super bold blend I transfer it into a solofill (and yes even the bold K cup contents fit in a solofill if it is filled right) and actually get a superior brew than I would in the K Cup itself and of course without the grinds.

4uthebest1358248514.9733527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 1/9/2013 RedConvertibleGirl said:

No it is NOT the machine, but the K Cup itself. There are a few varieties of K Cup that use a weaker foil and therefore will rip. As a result of this, since I am not willing to give up my super bold blend I transfer it into a solofill (and yes even the bold K cup contents fit in a solofill if it is filled right) and actually get a superior brew than I would in the K Cup itself and of course without the grinds.

snpets1358253958.6071091 PostsRegistered 3/2/2007
On 1/14/2013 PuppyBreath said:

Per Keurig CS: to avoid this mess all you have to do is push the K-cup down to seat it firmly on the botton needle before you close the top. This releases any trapped air. Look out for domed tops. This happens when they travel through a high altitude. I do it with every one now. No more problems.

Puppy

Good to know---thanks!

I did have a problem with one of the sample k-cups when I first got my machine, but not since. Don't remember what brand it was.

SAgal1358257708.162142 PostsRegistered 8/25/2007
Never heard of this or had the problem....Usually my machine just quits working!

Nature is the art of God.

coffeeking1358263332.57311 PostsRegistered 12/24/2012

K-Cups are sealed, air-tight to retain freshness. Ground coffee does emit CO2 naturally so you will often see the lid of a k-cup bulging from the gases within. K-cups have a long shelf life but older stock can build up a fair amount of pressure over time.

It is good advice advice to make sure the lower needle punctures the k-cup when you insert it into your brewer. This will release the gas from inside the k-cup without any grounds escaping since the lower pucnture is outside of the filter containing the coffee grounds.

An interesting side note; if you've ever wondered why none of the airlines have swtiched to k-cups it is due to this very reason. K-cups would not fair well in the changing pressures associated with air travel.

justlookn1358266599.81227 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006Chicago, IL

Ladies....you are all wonderful Smile

Thank you so much for this information. I will make sure we push the cups down so the bottom is punctured before we close the top.

Thank you all again for the information

4uthebest1358276699.6233527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

This is something akin to what I was talking about taken from an online review..

"...I have had a keurig for over 4 years. Never have I had grounds in my coffee until I bought a fifty pack of xxxxx. As I work my way through the box, I am throwing out about every third cup. I "believe" the problem is a thinner than usual foil top, a larger hole is created, during the punch, and the water is not regulated at the same percentage. I called to talk to "the coffee people", 2x - never got a human, left my phone number both times, and have never gotten a call back in since the orginal call 10 days ago. I am done with xxxx and coffee people, Timothy's - you have my k-cup money!..."

Last edited on 1/15/2013

Last edited on 1/15/2013

Rustys mom1358439841.283830 PostsRegistered 11/19/2007Ohio

The only time I had this problem was when using k-cups from Aldi. I love most things I buy there but I bought some hazelnut and breakfast blend k-cups, have only used one of the breakfast blend and no problems, but, the first couple of times I used the hazelnut it was fine, but then they started "exploding". I had probably 4 of them do that and just threw the rest away. I did not have the receipt so could not take them back to Aldi. I don't now if it was the actual cup, they did feel a little flimsier than the name brand cups. I have a whole box (minus 1) of the breakfast blend and am almost afraid to use it. I noticed the last time I was at Aldi that they had several boxes of the k-cups in the clearance section so that may mean that there is a problem with them.

4uthebest1358468536.443527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

And yet more reviews of the particular K cup I use (after I transfer the grinds to my Solofill but now with the superb manual french press system the need no longer exists), that say the same thing..

"I purchased this coffee and used only two pods. That was enough to clog the coffee maker such that it took me an hour of cleaning and running clear water through it and descaling it to get it to work again. Avoid this coffee at all costs the taste is not worthy it"

"Like others I havew had at least three instances of grounds in my cup. Also two instances where the Keurig just couldn't push the brew through the cup. Just failed. None of the other types of K-cups have ever done this."

"these pods are defective . They spew coffee grounds all over the place and in the cup of coffee. I use others and this is the only one I've had a problem with!"

"After trying all differant varieties of k cups this one has defective seals.Many cups full of coffee grinds.I saw other reviews stateing the same save your money dont buy these!!!!"

"About every 5th or 6th cup I get a cup full of coffee grounds! This coffee isn't that cheap to have to throw away that many cups and still make it worth it. It isn't that good either! I'll never buy "Coffee People" K-Cups again."

"I love the flavor of this coffee, but I agree w/ the post that it may be poorly manufactured. I frequently have to clean my Keurig from blown out K-cups..."

Rustys mom1358973696.83830 PostsRegistered 11/19/2007Ohio
On 1/17/2013 Rustys mom said:

The only time I had this problem was when using k-cups from Aldi. I love most things I buy there but I bought some hazelnut and breakfast blend k-cups, have only used one of the breakfast blend and no problems, but, the first couple of times I used the hazelnut it was fine, but then they started "exploding". I had probably 4 of them do that and just threw the rest away. I did not have the receipt so could not take them back to Aldi. I don't now if it was the actual cup, they did feel a little flimsier than the name brand cups. I have a whole box (minus 1) of the breakfast blend and am almost afraid to use it. I noticed the last time I was at Aldi that they had several boxes of the k-cups in the clearance section so that may mean that there is a problem with them.

I used the donut shop k-cup from Aldi this morning (the one I was calling breakfast blend but it is actually donut shop) and it had the same problem. So instead of throwing them away like I did the hazlenut, I will just remove the foil and put the coffee into the "my k-cup". I will not buy k-cups from Aldi again and as I mentioned earlier, they had all of the k-cups on clearance so I think this was defective product. I immediately used a starbucks k-cup after trying the donut shop one and my coffee turned out fine, so it was the actual k-cup, not the machine.

Wadzlla1358981419.3571975 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

I have been using the Aldi's kcups for about a month now- all types, and no explosions here!

Do you push the k-cup down so the bottom is punctured before you close the cover? I would think you are not setting the cup in straight, and the bottom of the cup is not being punctured.

Loves2save1358989560.4171168 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007CA
I originally thought this was your machine since I have owned several keurig a and never had this happen that was until I purchased a new type of k cup at target the other night. They were less expensive and a bold flavor made by Cana trail. Figured because of the price would give them a shot. They explode and large whole on top also grounds in the coffee and short cups me. Thought maybe it was time for a cleaning used one of my regulars and was just fine tried the new again and problems. Has done this each time now while using this brand. Glad to know it is not the machine I have been through to many over the years

Alsee1358995022.7272573 PostsRegistered 11/21/2006
Yes, had that problem with cups from Costco only. Tried them in the office and had a huge mess

bonnielu1359042249.9335822 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I have no problem in general with any of the K cups made by anyone. However sometimes one K cup in my collection does not completely unload and the water does not completely go through and I get half a cup. I toss out the cup and try another one and it works just fine. I do this before I take my Keurig apart, so I know it is not my machine but the cup. I guess it is like throwing away fifty cents but I guess that is the way it is.

isaboo1359043519.0771848 PostsRegistered 3/6/2007Texas

This has happened to me as well. I bought some "cups" at Sams to try out and it only happens when I use these particular cups. It doesn't happen all the time but maybe every 4th one. I have to say I have never had a regular K-cup explode. It may happen at some time but so far it is just with the other ones.

Rustys mom1359048123.657830 PostsRegistered 11/19/2007Ohio
On 1/23/2013 Wadzlla said:

I have been using the Aldi's kcups for about a month now- all types, and no explosions here!

Do you push the k-cup down so the bottom is punctured before you close the cover? I would think you are not setting the cup in straight, and the bottom of the cup is not being punctured.

Maybe my Aldi got a bad batch. This has never happned with any other type of k-cup, only the ones from Aldi. I do push them all the way down but it still happens. I thought I would give it one more try so used one this morning and same thing happened. I had used my last starbucks k-cup prior to that and since these were all I had I tried it. Got half cup of coffee that was full of grounds. Yuck. In Aldis defense, this is the only product other than their corn chips that I have been unhappy with. Everything else I have ever tried from Aldi I have loved. So as I said, maybe they got a bad batch of k-cups. As I said before, they have all of the k-cups in a clearance bin so maybe others have had this same problem.

Page 1 of 2