Back to School
141 Members and 10901 Guests Online

Coffee Talk

NOT happy with Keurig Customer Service

Started 1333476152.223 in Coffee Talk | Last reply 1333896337.013 by Pam in NC

I know many folks have been very pleased with Keurig customer service but after this morning I’m certainly not one of them.

I’m on my second Keurig B70, this one in the gloss cinnamon color. The first was replaced on 4-15-11, not free but less a small discount (I had to pay an additional $140). Many others have described having their old Keurigs replaced at no cost whatsoever.

Today I had a problem with the replacement Keurig Platinum that was shipped 4-15-11 (and thus still under warranty). I called customer service and spoke with a customer support rep. In our conversation, she determined that the problem couldn’t be corrected and said they’d ship a new Keurig Platinum. I told her I didn’t want another Keurig Platinum as this was my second defective one. I told her I wanted the new Vue model and that I would pay the cost difference between it and the Keurig Platinum. That seemed very fair and reasonable to me. She said she couldn’t do that. Then I said, “Well at least I’d like to have the “new” Platinum Plus rather than the Platinum. She said she couldn’t send me one of those either.

Since I’d told her I didn’t want another Keurig Platinum she said she’d send me a Keurig Special Edition or the Keurig Elite – both lesser models than the Platinum. I asked, “Why would I want a lesser model with fewer features?” to which she responded, “Well you told me you didn’t want another Keurig Platinum.” It was clear I couldn’t get what I wanted, so I agreed to getting a Keurig Platinum and said I wanted it again in the gloss cinnamon color. She said I couldn’t get that because Keurig didn’t make the Keurig Platinum in gloss cinnamon any more. That’s not true, as QVC is selling the Platinum model in gloss cinnamon. This replacement is coming with absolutely NO K-cups – not one single one. Others have mentioned Keurig sending them K-cups with replacement brewers.

I also have to send Keurig the K-cup holder from my defective Platinum model – at my expense of course. When I asked if I had to mail the K-cup holder at my expense she said, “You can send it in a mailing envelope and it should only cost a few dollars.” That’s not the point, I have a DEFECTIVE Keurig. If they insist that a customer return the K-cup holder it shouldn’t be at the customer’s expense.

At this point I am not a happy camper at all with respect to Keurig. What puzzles me the most is why Keurig seems to bend over backwards to give some customers good customer service and won’t give the same good customer service to others.

Page 1 of 2
kittyfan1333476265.85745 PostsRegistered 11/6/2008Central Tx

I had a terrible experience and thus wouldn't give them the "time of day".

Foodie 71333476571.183739 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

What was your experience, kittyfan?

uumom1333477003.103176 PostsRegistered 5/30/2005

I was also asked to return the k-cup holder which I never did and nothing happened.

Last edited on 4/3/2012

4uthebest1333477423.363526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

Keurig in my and thousands of others has superior service so I would tend to rather strongly disagree with your assessment. To base your comment on them not replacing your current model with an entirely different system is not what I would ever do. Come On, they were willing to send you a brand new brewer so lets not be unreasonable. I am sure you have K Cups and all you need is a new brewer so... The couple of buck it cost to mail them the cup holder is a small token and frankly I was rather shocked when they simply replaced my unit with a new one and I got it the next business day ! No reason why a company has to do that other than to show their excellent customer service.. JMHO

Lindaj461333477790.077176 PostsRegistered 5/15/2011

Iam sorry you are having problems with Keurig. Iam not my third machine. Keurig has been great every time, mailing me a new machine. I did have to mail the k-cup holder, which only was a few dollars to mail. To offset the cost of me having to mail that holder, they sent me a large box of coffee. I think 25 k-cups. Hope all works out. It sure can be frustrating. I hope they fix the problem with these machines. They should for sure last more than a year, considering how much they cost.

pupcakes1333518582.2320965 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I have had wonderful customer service from Keurig. When I've had a problem a serviceman has call me right back and solved it. They replaced mine once and it was out of warranty. I certainly didn't expect a box of k-cups with the replacement. You sound very demanding to me.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

barbados1333523250.1714405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

First of all I want to say you don't sound very demanding at all in your post!!!

You should have gotten what you wanted. I would call back and talk to a supervisor. The CS rep did nothing to satisfy the customer at all. After reading your post I'm so glad I didn't start with that rich man's coffee pot.

I so love my Cuisniart. Coffee tastes better and the pot works great. Good luck to you.

QueenofTheQ1333530442.55107 PostsRegistered 11/1/2005Washington DC area

Just to get an other perspective. I had a Cuisinart Keurig and it started leaking. I called Cuisinart and for $10 S&H, they sent me a new one. However, they did ask that I return the entire defective machine! I asked why I couldn't send just the k-cup holder back to them as I know this is what the Keurig company itself does. They insisted I ship back the entire machine. I waited until I got the new one and then boxed up the defective one in the same packaging. I took it to UPS. Well, it would have cost me $50 to ship it from the Washington DC area to Arizona. I was shocked but it is a heavy machine. I chose not to ship it and called Cuisinart when I got home. I told them I was very surprised that they'd expect a customer to pay that kind of money to return to them a defective product that they'd only throw away once received. I asked why they don't do as Keurig does and ask only that the k-cup holder be returned. She would have none of that. So, I asked her what would happen now because I was not going to return it at my own cost when it is a product still under warranty. I was concerned because they had the credit card number that I used to pay the $10 S&H on the replacement on file. She said that should my current machine ever break in the future, they would not send me a replacement until they received the old machine. I told her that I could live with that because if two Cuisinart Keurigs break down, I wouldn't want another one. I also told them that if they charged me $10 for S&H for my new machine, I should only have to pay $10 to return the old one. They have a deal with UPS but it only applies to Cuisinart sending the machines to customers. Their deal with UPS does not cover the return of defective machines.

Kathleen1333538767.5312425 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I'm at a loss to understand why OP would want a third machine if they keep breaking down! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

And what's the point of keeping a piece of a "defective" coffee maker. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Unless of course, the breaking down story is just a scheme to get a free upgraded model.

Entire story sounds dubious. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Last edited on 4/4/2012

Last edited on 4/4/2012

violann1333539105.79312086 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
I don't expect an upgrade when I request a replacement. Just me I guess.

Bikkie1333540557.523936 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009
Sounds like a scheme to get the new Vue.

4uthebest1333556539.3073526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 4/4/2012 violann said: I don't expect an upgrade when I request a replacement. Just me I guess.

No NOT at all JUST you.. There is ZERO way that I as a company would ever allow something like that unless I was not producing any more of the model being replaced, and then I would be bound to offer it. Keurig has one of the most liberal product replacement policies in the industry. There are many companies that you have to pay to ship product back to them and they will set you up with a refurbished one as I have seen with Garmin.

Wadzlla1333558458.4171936 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

The thing that truly amazes me about Keurig is the fact that these machines are so incredibly defective, but people keep buying them!!!!

The profit is not in the machine, the profit is in the k-cups. they will do anything to keep customers paying 60 cents and up for each teaspoon of coffee. they will keep sending you free machines as long as the consumer will keep paying $50.00 and up for a pound of coffee!

tnomrev1333564650.70756 PostsRegistered 3/30/2011

I had called customer service 2 days ago.My Keurig just broke down after one and a half years.We tried to fix the problem over the phone and she told me that it couldn't be fixed.She offered to give me another machine for $117.00 and i said no thanks.Didn't expect my machine to break down so quickly.Not happy!

4uthebest1333567639.6173526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 4/4/2012 tnomrev said:

I had called customer service 2 days ago.My Keurig just broke down after one and a half years.We tried to fix the problem over the phone and she told me that it couldn't be fixed.She offered to give me another machine for $117.00 and i said no thanks.Didn't expect my machine to break down so quickly.Not happy!

I understand you are not happy but people really need to understand the reality of products being made in China.. they will break and some before others as they do not have a concept of quality control developed. Because of this.. just about everything that is electronic in any way I will be getting a square trade warranty on as they are good for 2-4 years.

Loves2save1333568695.7231168 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007CA

I understand where you are coming from. I am on number 5 of that same model and all from the cinnamon. BTW that model is no longer being made but you will still see some floating around on QVC also Kohls has just that color on clearence and I picked one up last week for under 100. in the platinum series.

I see no problem with not wanting the same model over and over and I too questioned Keurig about it. They wanted me to downgrade, I already had the older models and told them the only reason why I had purchased the newer model was the larger tank and the cinnamon color. I would think there should not be a problem with upgrading if you are willing to pay the difference it pricing. Crazy for them to think anyone would want to downgrade when they paid for a higher priced model.

I too thought the Vue sounded great but with all the bugs on the platinum and now on number five plan on holding off until the reviews come in and the pricing gets better with more choices on the coffee.

Foodie 71333568943.913739 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

To be honest, I’m stunned by some of the responses to my original post and would like to clarify some points that I believe have been miscontrued and address some things some of you have said. I typically would not respond to such comments, but I think a few of you have questioned my integrity without even knowing me and I don’t believe that’s right.

4uthe best wrote

“Keurig in my and thousands of others has superior service so I would tend to rather strongly disagree with your assessment. To base your comment on them not replacing your current model with an entirely different system is not what I would ever do. Come On, they were willing to send you a brand new brewer so lets not be unreasonable. I am sure you have K Cups and all you need is a new brewer so... The couple of buck it cost to mail them the cup holder is a small token and frankly I was rather shocked when they simply replaced my unit with a new one and I got it the next business day ! No reason why a company has to do that other than to show their excellent customer service.. JMHO”

4uthebest - based on previous posts we’ve both written, I think we often agree, but not on this issue. I did not suggest that Keurig had poor customer service. In fact I began my post noting that I knew many folks have been very pleased with Keurig CS. I described my experience and said that after my most recent experience with their CS I was not pleased. That was not an indictment of their customer service overall.

You then wrote that basing my comment on their not replacing my current model with an entirely different system is not what you’d do and suggested that I was being unreasonable. If I did what you suggested, I’d agree that my request was unreasonable, but that’s not what I did. Recall that this was my second defective Platinum model and what I said I wanted was the new Vue model and that I would pay the cost difference between it and the Platinum. For the sake of discussion, let’s use the current published costs for the Vue ($249.99) and the Platinum ($179.95). That would have meant that I paid Keurig $70.04, the cost difference between the Platinum that they were willing to send and the Vue that I requested. I do not believe that to be an unreasonable or unfair request as it would not have cost Keurig anything beyond what they offered to do. Remember too that I had a defective machine still under warranty.

Lastly you indicate that the cost to ship back the cup holder is a “small token.” You’re right, but again as I said in my post, the few dollars cost was not the point. I have a defective machine still under warranty. A warranty is a company’s promise that their product will perform as designed for the entire warranty period (and one hopes beyond that period J). If it doesn’t perform as warranted the company owes a customer a new product at no additional cost to the customer. It would have been a different issue had the machine no longer been under warranty.

Kathleen wrote:

I'm at a loss to understand why OP would want a third machine if they keep breaking down! And what's the point of keeping a piece of a "defective" coffee maker. Unless of course, the breaking down story is just a scheme to get a free upgraded model. Entire story sounds dubious.

And akanesama wrote:

Why would I want a third machine asks Kathleen? It’s not so much a case of wanting a third machine, but wanting a functioning machine rather than a defective one which is what I have at the moment. Kathleen, you don’t even know me and yet you suggest that my story is dubious and you and akanesama both suggest that it’s just a scheme to get a free upgraded model. You can choose to believe the worst about me or anyone else you do not know, but I can assure you, nothing here is a scheme. Yes, I did ask that my Platinum be replaced with a Vue, but I did not request a free Vue. Please read my response to 4uthebest. I offered to pay the cost difference between the Platinum replacement for the defective one I own and the Vue.

violann wrote, “I don't expect an upgrade when I request a replacement. Just me I guess.” I don’t expect an upgrade either, violann but again I wasn’t expecting an upgrade but requesting one for which I said I would pay the difference in cost between two models. To honor my request would not have cost Keurig any more than replacing my defective machine would have cost them. Obviously a company can choose to not honor my request and Keurig did, but there’s nothing sinister, dishonest, “scheming” or “dubious,” about that request.

Lastly I would ask that before any of you attribute deceitful motives to anyone who posts on this forum, substitute your name for the poster’s name and ask yourself, “How would I feel if someone said these things about me?” Maybe, just maybe you’ll think twice about attributing ill intent to another.

Loves2save1333569567.1131168 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007CA
On 4/4/2012 Sigrid said:

To be honest, I’m stunned by some of the responses to my original post and would like to clarify some points that I believe have been miscontrued and address some things some of you have said. I typically would not respond to such comments, but I think a few of you have questioned my integrity without even knowing me and I don’t believe that’s right.

4uthe best wrote

“Keurig in my and thousands of others has superior service so I would tend to rather strongly disagree with your assessment. To base your comment on them not replacing your current model with an entirely different system is not what I would ever do. Come On, they were willing to send you a brand new brewer so lets not be unreasonable. I am sure you have K Cups and all you need is a new brewer so... The couple of buck it cost to mail them the cup holder is a small token and frankly I was rather shocked when they simply replaced my unit with a new one and I got it the next business day ! No reason why a company has to do that other than to show their excellent customer service.. JMHO”

4uthebest - based on previous posts we’ve both written, I think we often agree, but not on this issue. I did not suggest that Keurig had poor customer service. In fact I began my post noting that I knew many folks have been very pleased with Keurig CS. I described my experience and said that after my most recent experience with their CS I was not pleased. That was not an indictment of their customer service overall.

You then wrote that basing my comment on their not replacing my current model with an entirely different system is not what you’d do and suggested that I was being unreasonable. If I did what you suggested, I’d agree that my request was unreasonable, but that’s not what I did. Recall that this was my second defective Platinum model and what I said I wanted was the new Vue model and that I would pay the cost difference between it and the Platinum. For the sake of discussion, let’s use the current published costs for the Vue ($249.99) and the Platinum ($179.95). That would have meant that I paid Keurig $70.04, the cost difference between the Platinum that they were willing to send and the Vue that I requested. I do not believe that to be an unreasonable or unfair request as it would not have cost Keurig anything beyond what they offered to do. Remember too that I had a defective machine still under warranty.

Lastly you indicate that the cost to ship back the cup holder is a “small token.” You’re right, but again as I said in my post, the few dollars cost was not the point. I have a defective machine still under warranty. A warranty is a company’s promise that their product will perform as designed for the entire warranty period (and one hopes beyond that period J). If it doesn’t perform as warranted the company owes a customer a new product at no additional cost to the customer. It would have been a different issue had the machine no longer been under warranty.

Kathleen wrote:

I'm at a loss to understand why OP would want a third machine if they keep breaking down! And what's the point of keeping a piece of a "defective" coffee maker. Unless of course, the breaking down story is just a scheme to get a free upgraded model. Entire story sounds dubious.

And akanesama wrote:

Why would I want a third machine asks Kathleen? It’s not so much a case of wanting a third machine, but wanting a functioning machine rather than a defective one which is what I have at the moment. Kathleen, you don’t even know me and yet you suggest that my story is dubious and you and akanesama both suggest that it’s just a scheme to get a free upgraded model. You can choose to believe the worst about me or anyone else you do not know, but I can assure you, nothing here is a scheme. Yes, I did ask that my Platinum be replaced with a Vue, but I did not request a free Vue. Please read my response to 4uthebest. I offered to pay the cost difference between the Platinum replacement for the defective one I own and the Vue.

violann wrote, “I don't expect an upgrade when I request a replacement. Just me I guess.” I don’t expect an upgrade either, violann but again I wasn’t expecting an upgrade but requesting one for which I said I would pay the difference in cost between two models. To honor my request would not have cost Keurig any more than replacing my defective machine would have cost them. Obviously a company can choose to not honor my request and Keurig did, but there’s nothing sinister, dishonest, “scheming” or “dubious,” about that request.

Lastly I would ask that before any of you attribute deceitful motives to anyone who posts on this forum, substitute your name for the poster’s name and ask yourself, “How would I feel if someone said these things about me?” Maybe, just maybe you’ll think twice about attributing ill intent to another.

I know exactly what you are going through, been there done that like I stated. As for why we would want another after going through so many. How about the fact we paid good money for it and they are still under warranty. I do admit mine have alwasy come with what was originally in the boxes (extra coffee and also was sent extra boxes for the troubles.) but this last time them asking me to downgrade was unacceptable. If keurig offered you the same I do not see why they could not have upgraded you and you pay the difference.

As for free coffee at least when you re register online your new machine when it comes to you, you can still get the two free boxes when you purchase two boxes don't forget that. Also free shipping on them and 10 percent off

AnnikaC1333570134.297999 PostsRegistered 4/26/2011

I just had to call CS on Monday, and the guy I dealt with was very nice. I told him all I'd done to solve the problem, and he said they would send me a new one, and did request that I sent back the k-cup holder, as proof that the machine was was truly defective since I hadn't registered it online. I thought that was reasonable. I'd had mine less than a year.

Witchy Wom­an1333572529.072652 PostsRegistered 12/17/2005

I just finished returning my little cup after receiving a new Keurig to replace my 2009 model...I think it was a Platinum....I asked for a LESSER model because all those features were a pain...I just wanted my B&B guests to put a cup in an hit brew...otherwise, they are pressing ALL the buttons and getting confused.

They gladly sent me a downgrade but said if anything went wrong, I could only get a replacement of that model or lesser...not the original Platinum. That was all right with me...I don't want all the bells and whistles.

In my opinion, they make terrible coffee....no depth AT ALL....and for a coffee lover like me, it tasted awful and weak....but people seem to LOVE them in my cottage. Otherwise, I'd have thrown it in the trash and put in a drip pot....but guest will not use that kind of machine..they prefer the Keurig....

But their customer service was pretty cooperative in my view....sorry you had a bad experience.

Amaly1333572845.0973471 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008so cali

What I don't understand is why the OP would expect free k-cups with the replacement. Makes no sense to me, she got them with the first one and used them up. I feel sorry for people who work in customer service and have to deal with people who think they are entitled to whatever they want. If the machine is still under warranty, they should offer a replacement. If that's refused give her a refund. I have a feeling cs is used to this.

manny21333573454.021780 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009
On 4/4/2012 Kathleen said:

I'm at a loss to understand why OP would want a third machine if they keep breaking down! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

And what's the point of keeping a piece of a "defective" coffee maker. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Unless of course, the breaking down story is just a scheme to get a free upgraded model.

Entire story sounds dubious. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Last edited on 4/4/2012

What an outrageous post! Read it again she did not want another defective coffee maker and in fact was willing to pay the difference for a better model. How in the world is she looking for a free upgraded model. Think before you respond and I sincerely hope you do not act this way in your real life because if you do you do not have friends!

manny21333573533.791780 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009
On 4/4/2012 truckwidow said:

What I don't understand is why the OP would expect free k-cups with the replacement. Makes no sense to me, she got them with the first one and used them up. I feel sorry for people who work in customer service and have to deal with people who think they are entitled to whatever they want. If the machine is still under warranty, they should offer a replacement. If that's refused give her a refund. I have a feeling cs is used to this.

They gave her two defective coffee makers when she paid in good faith for a good coffee maker period. The least they could do is give her some k-cups.

4uthebest1333573613.7573526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 4/4/2012 Sigrid said:

4uthe best wrote

Kathleen wrote:

And akanesama wrote:

I just spent more than 30 minutes replying to you and somehow when it was sent it was lost so. perhaps another time..

mima1333574811.2614232 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

1. I don't think they would upgrade if you paid the difference because if word got around to others, lots of people would "claim" theirs was defective to get a new model for $100 or less. I'm not saying you are doing this, but it would give others the idea to do it.

2. I'm on my 2rd replacement. I had to send back both the first and 2nd k-cup holders at my expense and I didn't have a problem with that whatsoever. I was just thrilled to get a brand new pot instead of a refurbished one. They actually "could" have sent out refurbished pots instead of brand new ones. The original pot I had replaced was under a year old like the OP. The 2nd replacement was actually 15 months old.

3. I didn't get any free coffee and it never entered my mind until another poster said they got free coffee for their inconvenience. Then I thought of it! LOL But I'm not upset that I didn't get any.

4. This is for the poster that said WHY would we want a 3rd pot if the other two were defective...WHY NOT if they will keep replacing them for free??? It would stupid not to get another one.

Mima

Page 1 of 2