Holidays at Home
37 Members and 10042 Guests Online

Coffee Talk

Keurig Platinum Plus

Started 1330286597.257 in Coffee Talk | Last reply 1331156046.04 by 4uthebest
So....I gave in and ordered this today (I really wanted it when it was a TSV, but since it was before Christmas, I restrained myself)! I currently have the mini, which I bought about a year and a half ago, and have never had a problem with. I just wanted the extra features on this fully-featured model, most importantly, I like the water tank. I also live that it includes 80 Kcups. I'm not sure about the box of Italian roast coffee (have never tried it), but we will enjoy everything else. Do any of you have this model, and do you like it? Anxiously awaiting mine:)

Page 1 of 1
Foodie 71330294660.26740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

No not the Platinum Plus with the "supposed" extra features, but the Platinum which I love. I say "supposed" because the Platinum can give you instant hot water. Simply "brew" a cup of coffee, but don't put a K-cup in. Result? Instant hot water in your cup. Want to run a cleaning cycle? Do the same thing. Brew the largest cup possible with no K-cup in position.

Queen of Scott - you MAY decide after getting this new Keurig that you wished you waited for the truly new model that is, according to the Keurig website, "a few weeks away." It's called the Keurig Vue System. It will not use the K-cups we're all familiar with and instead will use what Keurig is calling Vue packs. The new model is pretty pricey though I'd expect QVC to have it as a today's special value soon after it's available - I don't know that for a fact, I'm just speculating.

Since you just ordered the Platinum Plus you can return it if the Keurig Vue appeals to you more. I know at this point I sure wouldn't order any Keuring with the K-cup system but would wait for the new model. Check it out at keurig.com

jcw21330297078.463454 PostsRegistered 2/21/2008Atlanta

I got the platinum plus as the TSV and so far I like it a lot, but I quickly ditched the concept of K-cups in favor of the Solofill permanent cup that I can use with my own coffee.

Funny you mention the Italian Roast, though, because that and the Emeril's were about the only ones in the big 80-pack that tasted good enough to me to think about buying if I didn't have the Solofill.

I agree, though, that if you can wait for the Vue it might be worth checking out if you prefer to use the K-cups now.

My only beef with the Keurig is that to get a decently strong cup of coffee, the max cup size I use with a full Solofill is the 8- or 9 oz brew (2nd to the largest). But it is truly so fast and effortless to refill the Solofill and hit the brew cycle a few minutes after I finish the first cup that I haven't had a problem. If I have my first cup before I head out the door, then I don't need 16-oz of coffee to drink on the way to work anyway! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Queen of S­cott1330392238.41031 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010
Sigrid - I looked at the Vue at Keurig.com before I ordered. It's pricey, and requires a different kind of Kcup (or whatever they will call the new ones), which is also more expensive. I am a casual coffee drinker, so this one shold work for me. I read that Keurig has no plans to discontinue the original Kcups, so hopefully that will hold true:) Jcw2 - so glad to hear that you like your Platinum Plus! I am a wimpy coffee drinker;) I prefer the light roasts ( some medium roasts) and the flavored coffees, and I like to vary them, so I love the Kcups! PS - I tried to read reviews on QVC before purchasing, but they were none. It made am a bit suspicious. Oh well....if it is a dud, I will just return it and continue using my mini, was has been a jewel.Last edited on 2/27/2012

Last edited on 2/27/2012

birkin baby1330526999.2034744 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011

I have the platinum model that is about 14 months old and I love it sooo much.I was a never coffee drinker.I had a Hello Kitty coffee maker and I used it rarely but it was cute. I gave this to my mom as a gift,but she didnt like it being big on her counter.I was gonna return ot but tried it since the coffee was opened.I t is on my counter still and I use it at least 3 time a day. The key is to descale your machine regularly,as I did not and mine locked up.Keurig sent me a new one free of any charges even tho I tole them it was my fault for never descaling.Great customer service.I got more free coffee too. I love the italian roast from Barista Prima...that is my favorite k cup ever.It costs a few bucks more,but so worth it.So give it a try and send the m to me if you don't like them...LOL. I use this to make hot water for oatmeal,hot chocolate,and I even brew a few biggest cups and pour it down my drain in the kitchen once a week to keep the drain clear. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Maureen601330726048.5572 PostsRegistered 3/2/2012
How often does a Keurig need to be descaled, and is it done? Thank you.

Maureen601330726084.2872 PostsRegistered 3/2/2012
And how is it done?

Foodie 71330732292.387740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 2/27/2012 Queen of Scott said: Sigrid - I looked at the Vue at Keurig.com before I ordered. It's pricey, and requires a different kind of Kcup (or whatever they will call the new ones), which is also more expensive. I am a casual coffee drinker, so this one shold work for me. I read that Keurig has no plans to discontinue the original Kcups, so hopefully that will hold true:) Jcw2 - so glad to hear that you like your Platinum Plus! I am a wimpy coffee drinker;) I prefer the light roasts ( some medium roasts) and the flavored coffees, and I like to vary them, so I love the Kcups! PS - I tried to read reviews on QVC before purchasing, but they were none. It made am a bit suspicious. Oh well....if it is a dud, I will just return it and continue using my mini, was has been a jewel.Last edited on 2/27/2012

Queen of Scott, I don't disagree with you at all. No question that the Keurig Vue is pricey -- $249. I just wanted to make sure that you or anyone else who purchased a Keurig Platinum or Platinum Plus or was considering such a purchase was aware that these were soon to be replaced by a new model and perhaps at some point a number of new models. I know personally I'd be upset if I just purchased a product and then a few days or weeks later learned that a newer, (hopefully) superior model was coming out. Now if I knew that ahead of time and still chose the "older" technology I'd be doing so with full knowledge of what I was doing and probably getting a good bargain in the process.

Foodie 71330732931.707740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 3/2/2012 Maureen60 said: How often does a Keurig need to be descaled, and is it done? Thank you.

Maureen60, check the instructions you received with your Keurig or go online and check at Keurig.com.

http://www.keurig.com/customer-service/brewer-registration-and-support/~/media/FD69E91A51CA41BEBF4CCAA138325BBF.ashx

As for frequency...

How do I clean/descale my brewer?

How often as you can see is related to the quality of the water you use in your Keurig and would naturally be affected by how much you use the Keurig. At some point you'll see the words "De-scale brewer" in the panel. However it's better to de-scale every 3 (preferably in my opinion) to 6 months regardless of whether or not the machine tells you to de-scale.

Answer from Keurig website
The brewer should be descaled at least every 3-6 months. Scale is harmless, but if left unattended, it can hinder optimal brewer performance. Descaling your brewer regularly helps maintain the heating element, removable water reservoir and other parts of the brewer that come in contact with water. Better water quality and water heating means a better cup of coffee, tea, hot cocoa or iced beverage. We recommend descaling your brewer at least every 6 months (every 3 months if your water has a high mineral content). The descaling process involves using 48 ounces of undiluted white vinegar. Learn how to descale your brewer.

Loves2save1330733592.2671168 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007CA

I also would wait on the new model yes more pricey but with the 20 percent off coupons at bed bath and April 1st Keurig being a todays special (bet will be new model) I know with the new laws on recycle it will not be long before keurig starts phasing out the traditional k cups they state they won't but I bet they will be forced to.

As for the solofil the ekobrew has great reviews and can be picked up for a great price on amazon and can get them in two and three packs. So you always have a spare also it sits flat on counte unlike the solo

Queen of S­cott1331153712.4831031 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010
I am loving my new Keurig! It's so convenient to have the water tank, and to have the water preheated and ready to go. Hopefully it will continue to work as well as my mini!

4uthebest1331156046.043526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 3/2/2012 SAIN2ALL said:

As for the solofil the ekobrew has great reviews and can be picked up for a great price on amazon and can get them in two and three packs. So you always have a spare also it sits flat on counte unlike the solo

Yet because of the design, the Solofill will yield a coffee experience closer to a French Press than any other My K Cup alternative. Curiously if you look at both the Solofill and Ekobrew in Amazon and sort by date, you may be seeing a different thing as it appears that there are more low ratings for one than the other after viewing the first 5 pages or so.

Last edited on 3/7/2012

Last edited on 3/7/2012

Page 1 of 1