Just-Reduced Clearance
76 Members and 16311 Guests Online

Coffee Talk

Why is my coffee so bitter?

Started 1329078970.487 in Coffee Talk | Last reply 1329591022.867 by amartinezfan

I was at a Birthday party at a tea house the other day and the coffee was SO GOOD! I aksed her what it was and she said it was Eight O clock decaf coffee. When I try to make any coffee at home it is so bitter. I am just getting into coffee so I thought maybe I just don't like it much, but now I see it is just my coffee I don't like. I use a Cusinart coffee maker that was 90.00. What am I doing wrong?

PS. I don't like the keurig.

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 1
amartinezf­an1329079212.4479629 PostsRegistered 12/1/2006Sunny San Diego

What coffee have you used that is turning out bitter?

Buck-i-Nana1329079292.9277963 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio

Is your cuisinart a percolator or a drip? If it's drip and has a hot plate to keep the pot hot, you need to turn it off, or remove your coffee and put it in to a thermal carafe. Leaving it on the heat can cause bitterness.

Also, you might check the brew temp. Too hot a brew temp can cause bitterness as well.

There's always the possibility you got a bad batch of beans, or you go the wrong grind for your type of coffee maker.

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

amartinezf­an1329079683.029629 PostsRegistered 12/1/2006Sunny San Diego
On 2/12/2012 Invisible-Poster said:

Is your cuisinart a percolator or a drip? If it's drip and has a hot plate to keep the pot hot, you need to turn it off, or remove your coffee and put it in to a thermal carafe. Leaving it on the heat can cause bitterness.

Also, you might check the brew temp. Too hot a brew temp can cause bitterness as well.

There's always the possibility you got a bad batch of beans, or you go the wrong grind for your type of coffee maker.

Yes, this is important. I always remove the filter and grounds immediately after the coffeepot has stopped dripping; not even sure if that makes a difference but as a habit I do it.

I can't drink any Starbucks coffee as it always has a burnt taste to me. To each his own.

minnowjoy1329080009.02353 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006

I am using a drip. The bitter taste is there right from the beginning. I have tried Dowe and Egbert, Timothy's, seatles best,& dukin donuts.

HorizonBou­nd1329080753.693550 PostsRegistered 8/11/2006

I know someone who puts cleaned, dry egg shells in with their dry grounds prior to brewing and they swear that takes away the bitterness. Have you heard or use any other tricks??

Magenta1329082057.5679585 PostsRegistered 11/4/2004washington, d.c.

minnowjoy,

i noticed that you have gotten douw & egberts coffee, which is dutch coffee, from my homeland, and wanted to know where you get that please.

i myself poor 1/month a bottle (small) of vinegar through the filter and clean the pot with it when it comes through. i follow this up by 2 or 3 pots of water through the filter again and by then you should have a very clean system and the bitter taste should be eliminated.

good luck!

magenta

minnowjoy1329082473.533353 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006
On 2/12/2012 Magenta said:

minnowjoy,

i noticed that you have gotten douw & egberts coffee, which is dutch coffee, from my homeland, and wanted to know where you get that please.

i myself poor 1/month a bottle (small) of vinegar through the filter and clean the pot with it when it comes through. i follow this up by 2 or 3 pots of water through the filter again and by then you should have a very clean system and the bitter taste should be eliminated.

good luck!

magenta

Thanks Magenta! I will give the vinegar a try.

As for the Dowe and Egbert coffee.......I live in a Dutch community. A local bakery has a gift shop that has it available to purchase. Our church also serves it from the frozen packs.( has the dowe & egbert frozen maker machine.) I would be happy to get some and ship it to you if you would like??

StellaDiva1329082826.681134 PostsRegistered 10/15/2011
If you are grinding too fine (basket style drip should be ground a little coarser than cone style) or use too much water you might get bitter coffee. Also try using purified water.

minnowjoy1329082982.947353 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006
On 2/12/2012 StellaDiva said: If you are grinding too fine (basket style drip should be ground a little coarser than cone style) or use too much water you might get bitter coffee. Also try using purified water.

Thanks Stella,

I have and use a cone filter and buy ground coffee. I also use culligan filtered water. I will try to clean the pot with vinegar.

darcy31329085300.541177 PostsRegistered 1/8/2008

When I was in college I worked in a restaurant and we would put a sprinkle of salt in the coffee in the filter before brewing.

Last edited on 2/12/2012

Last edited on 2/12/2012

chickenmom1329085613.96119 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

It may be that you don't like the acidity in the coffee. Try some beans from Indonesia, such as Sumatra, and see if that makes a difference.

baginista1329087060.727642 PostsRegistered 3/8/2009

Your coffee may be bitter because a) its old--pre-ground coffee doesn't have a long shelf life after it is opened; or b) its ground too fine, which is the case for most pre ground coffee, or c) your brewer doesnt get the water to the right temp, or d) you have nasty water, or e) you are not using enough coffee to make the pot, or f) you are letting it sit on a heating element which will make it bitter, or g) any combo of the previous factors.

nomar1329095037.373563 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

I, also, sprinkle in a few grains of salt in the grounds before brewing or add a few grains to my coffee in my cup if it is bitter. Sure seems to work.

CSH1329095493.4332334 PostsRegistered 12/5/2009NW PA
On 2/12/2012 Baginista said:

Your coffee may be bitter because a) its old--pre-ground coffee doesn't have a long shelf life after it is opened; or b) its ground too fine, which is the case for most pre ground coffee, or c) your brewer doesnt get the water to the right temp, or d) you have nasty water, or e) you are not using enough coffee to make the pot, or f) you are letting it sit on a heating element which will make it bitter, or g) any combo of the previous factors.

Gadfry...If I was just starting out to drink coffee I probably would switch to tea after reading this post...

Play is children's work!

4uthebest1329122626.243527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 2/12/2012 Baginista said:

ITA except for the nasty water as she stated that she uses Culligan filtered water.

Desertdi1329122984.5515932 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

Try a lighter "roast". I don't care for "French" or "Dark" roast. To me, it's very bitter, too.

luvmygumbo1329141523.5171792 PostsRegistered 5/18/2009

I second Magenta's cleaning method in post #6. My DH also uses a product called CLR diluted with water and runs several cycles with clean water afterward. You can have the best coffee and if your machine isn't clean, no matter what you do, the coffee will not taste good.

debc1329143052.8672724 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

Agree with the salt suggestions. Every restaurant I ever worked at did this.

Cheese with that whine?

StylishLady1329143863.744007 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009Florida

I was also wondering about the water used. Most chain places use distilled or deionized water so that their coffee is not altered by minerals in the local water supply.

SpaGal1329144010.5433112 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010
On 2/12/2012 Magenta said:

minnowjoy,

good luck!

magenta

As a former barista for 2 coffee chains, you've been given some great advice!

Magenta... D&E coffee is my MIL's favorite. They live in Landgraaf--where are you from ?

Matahari1329163450.03336 PostsRegistered 6/19/2005

If coffee is bitter, like others have replied, clean out your coffeepot and make sure the grounds are always removed after brewing has finished.

di-mc1329163772.167490 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

It may be your water. Try, just for 1 pot, using bottled water, if the coffee tastes better, you know it's your water that's causing the bitterness.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

I luv QVC1329164288.733208 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

A pinch of salt before brewing is the way to go. HTH.

QVCisFun1329173230.57324 PostsRegistered 9/5/2005
On 2/12/2012 minnowjoy said:

When I try to make any coffee at home it is so bitter. I am just getting into coffee so I thought maybe I just don't like it much, but now I see it is just my coffee I don't like.

Hi. I had the exact same problem with my home brewed coffee tasting bitter. In my case, I discovered it was because I was using too much coffee grounds. I have found a great guide for how much coffee to measure out depending on number of cups to brew. The guide is for a percolator but I use it as a guide for the drip brewer too, with great results. Here is more information that I had posted on another coffee discussion thread. If you use the link to look at the manual, you'll need to scroll down a bit to see the chart. Hope this helps:

Hello. The Farberware percolator manual has an excellent chart that suggests the amount of coffee to use for different brew strengths (mild, medium, or strong). It takes the guesswork out of how much water-to-coffee to use. For example, if you want to make 10 cups of coffee, the manual says to use 5 standard coffee measures for mild, 7 standard coffee measures for medium, and 9 standard coffee measures for strong. The manual defines one cup brewed as 5 fluid ounces, and defines 1 standard coffee measure equal to 2 level tablespoons. We've followed these instructions for our Farberware percolator and our drip coffee machine, with great results. We tend to use the medium measurements for caffeinated coffee, and the strong measurements for decaffeinated coffee. Here is a link to the Farberware Millenium Percolator Instructions manual: http://www.fantes.com/manuals/farberware_fcp240_instructions.pdf .

amartinezf­an1329591022.8679629 PostsRegistered 12/1/2006Sunny San Diego
On 2/13/2012 QVCisFun said:
On 2/12/2012 minnowjoy said:

When I try to make any coffee at home it is so bitter. I am just getting into coffee so I thought maybe I just don't like it much, but now I see it is just my coffee I don't like.

Hi. I had the exact same problem with my home brewed coffee tasting bitter. In my case, I discovered it was because I was using too much coffee grounds. I have found a great guide for how much coffee to measure out depending on number of cups to brew. The guide is for a percolator but I use it as a guide for the drip brewer too, with great results. Here is more information that I had posted on another coffee discussion thread. If you use the link to look at the manual, you'll need to scroll down a bit to see the chart. Hope this helps:

Hello. The Farberware percolator manual has an excellent chart that suggests the amount of coffee to use for different brew strengths (mild, medium, or strong). It takes the guesswork out of how much water-to-coffee to use. For example, if you want to make 10 cups of coffee, the manual says to use 5 standard coffee measures for mild, 7 standard coffee measures for medium, and 9 standard coffee measures for strong. The manual defines one cup brewed as 5 fluid ounces, and defines 1 standard coffee measure equal to 2 level tablespoons. We've followed these instructions for our Farberware percolator and our drip coffee machine, with great results. We tend to use the medium measurements for caffeinated coffee, and the strong measurements for decaffeinated coffee. Here is a link to the Farberware Millenium Percolator Instructions manual: http://www.fantes.com/manuals/farberware_fcp240_instructions.pdf .

Exactly!!! When I use my 4 cup coffee maker and fill to the top I use only a smidgen over two coffee spoon measures!

Page 1 of 1