Guaranteed Delivery
62 Members and 17016 Guests Online

Coffee Talk

Keurig temperature question

Started 1323011935.133 in Coffee Talk | Last reply 1325824052.387 by shoekitty

Hi, everyone. :)

I have been loving my new Keurig TSV but I have a question about the temperature setting. I have it set to the maximum temperature 192 degrees. I put a digital meat thermometer in the bottom of a mug and did the "rinse" cycle. It only hit 174 degrees.

Does the water cool that drastically between the time that it hits the K cup to when it hits your cup? Did anyone ever test the actual water temperature that brews?

When I tested my apple cider after I brewed it, it was only 158 degrees.

Page 1 of 1
Bikkie1323179065.273945 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009

Anyone? :)

mima1323179711.18714795 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 12/6/2011 akanesama said:

I had made my coffee and it had sit maybe 30 seconds to a minute when I read your post. I got my thermometer out and mine was 163 degrees. I assume it cools dramatically when it hits a room temp. cup. Next time I'll put the thermometer in the cup as it is brewing and see how hot it comes out.

Even at 163 degrees, I can't just drink it down. I have to sip it because it is too hot. Of course I drink mine black. I don't know if it would be hot enough if I put lots of cream in it.

Hope that helps!

Oh, mine is also set at 192 degrees.

Mima

blue_weima­raner1323180105.0731138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania

I don't believe Keurigs "brew" at 192 degrees in the first place..but there is no way to get a temp reading while the machine is in action, unless you were to stop the process, open it up and stick your thermometer directly in the K cup....

According to the staff at Bunn, coffee's optimal brewing temp for perfect extraction is about 201 degrees, so the Keurig is not even coming close here anyway.

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

QPrincess1323181053.0772221 PostsRegistered 5/18/2005

If you add a lot of cream it definitely lowers the temperature. Drinking it black, it is hot enough. What I do (because I add cream) is fill the cup with VERY HOT WATER from the sink and let it sit for a minute. Then I dump the water and make my cup of coffee. I think you'll find that helps.

Bikkie1323183922.243945 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009

Thank you for the replies and I will try the suggestions mentioned here. I tested the stream of water even before it hit the cup (although air could technically cool it a bit) and the highest it reached was 174 degrees.

I would be interested to see what the inside actually brews at but I can't think of a way to test that theory. I feel like for hot beverages - it's plenty hot, but when you put cold milk in for tea or coffee it's not hot enough anymore for travel.

I still love my Keurig though so I will try a few things to see if I can improve the temperature a bit. I read online that if you have too many things on an electric circuit that the element might not heat to 192. I have to see what else is on that circuit - nothing else shares that particular plug, though.

4uthebest1323192728.3273527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 12/6/2011 blue_weimaraner said:

I don't believe Keurigs "brew" at 192 degrees in the first place..but there is no way to get a temp reading while the machine is in action, unless you were to stop the process, open it up and stick your thermometer directly in the K cup....

According to the staff at Bunn, coffee's optimal brewing temp for perfect extraction is about 201 degrees, so the Keurig is not even coming close here anyway.

Actually, many times using a thermocouple, I have measured the temperature right where the coffee comes out and it was indeed 192.

Coffee cools very quickly after it hits the air and the coffee cup, but you need to know this that you will get a 2nd/ 3rd degree burn with a 2 second exposure at 150, 1 second exposure at 155, and a 1/2 second exposure at 160, and about a .2 second exposure will be sufficient at 165.

Bikkie1323194804.7073945 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009
On 12/6/2011 4uthebest said:

Actually, many times using a thermocouple, I have measured the temperature right where the coffee comes out and it was indeed 192.

Coffee cools very quickly after it hits the air and the coffee cup, but you need to know this that you will get a 2nd/ 3rd degree burn with a 2 second exposure at 150, 1 second exposure at 155, and a 1/2 second exposure at 160, and about a .2 second exposure will be sufficient at 165.

Great info! Thank you.. I will try to measure the inside but that does make sense.

bobhurley1323274156.053784 PostsRegistered 7/24/2005

Maybe using a thermal mug would keep the coffee a little hotter a little longer. I have a Keurig and I like the machine, but when I want a nice, HOT cup of coffee I go to my Cuisinart burr grinder/brewer. It has a thermal carafe and keps the coffee hot for hours.

totsy19401325666596.1271 PostsRegistered 1/4/2012

I HAVE THIS COFFEEMAKER AN HARDLY USED IT THE COFFEE NOT HOT ENOUGH TO DRINK SO IT SET ON COUNTER UNSED VERY DISPPOINTED IN EXPENSEIVE MACHINE I SHOULD OF SEND IT BACK TO QVC

4uthebest1325690188.0273527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I do not know for certain about Keurig machines as I have not used mine for 2 years now since I got my Cuisinart, but the Cuisinart does brew at 192. Remember at 160 degrees you can get a 2nd/3rd degree burn with exposure to the skin for 1 second.

I have a thermocouple device that I insert at the nozzle end and I have measured the 192 and occassionally a bit higher by .7 degrees or so with the Cuisinart.

In any event, pouring coffee into a cold or room temperature vessel such as a cup will very significantly drop the temperature down from what it brews at so you might want to prewarm your cups to start with.

That being said, Just because Bunn says 201 degrees for their machine, it does not mean that is for everything. As an example the Aeropress which was spoken of on this board, uses 175 degrees and that is what the inventor recommends.

In the Navy for as long as I can remember, instructions for preparation of coffee states ... "Fill jacket of coffee urn with water 3/4 full as indicated on the gauge glass. Maintain temperature of this water at 185 °F to 190 °F."

shoekitty1325824052.38713275 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006
On 12/6/2011 akanesama said:

I have mine set to 192 as well. It is hot,but seems like it is not hot as it used to be. Could be I just got used to it. When I had the old Mr Coffee, the coffee was always lukewarm, as the heat escaped as it sat. So when I first tasted the k cup it was "sue McDonald's hot". However, in this cold..you could hang hams in my kitchen at night. So my coffee cups in the cupboard are freezing cold. I am sure the coffee "sops" up the cold of the cup. It is best to warm up the cup by running it under hot water before filling it with coffee, but it takes to long to get hot water!! I guess I could fill the cup with the Keurig hot water and let it sit a few minutes to warm the cup. I wonder if that would help the coffee test hotter.

Last edited on 1/5/2012

Last edited on 1/5/2012

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

Page 1 of 1