TSV(R) Preview
53 Members and 11080 Guests Online

Coffee Talk

K Cup vs Reg Coffee Pot ...Cost

Started 1322451643.63 in Coffee Talk | Last reply 1325040106.74 by OyVeyQueNo1

I just wanted one of those 1 cup coffee brewers but I did try a cup at Sam's Club during their demonstration and it was like "colored water"...no taste.

You can make 2-4 cups of coffee with a regular coffee maker so for the cost of those K-cups, wouldn't it be cheaper to use ground coffee, brew the 2 or 4 cups, drink what you want and toss the rest out???

I'm thinking most people have a coffee maker and you can get one as cheap as $10, here you're investing over $100 plus the cost of K-Cups and what are you really saving?

Page 1 of 2
darkpoet1322453336.61718 PostsRegistered 10/1/2010

The Keurig is a product to get one to buy more product (the K-cups). They don't want to just sell us a machine and be done with it. They want to make more $$$$ than that. I use a French press. I can make just one or two cups if I want. If you want to only make one cup, it's perfect. The coffee tastes delicious.

Last edited on 11/27/2011

Last edited on 11/27/2011

HB glamma1322457710.39698 PostsRegistered 8/23/2011Southern california

I know, I used to think oh maybe a Keurig would be nice..then today during one of the 24 hours that it was being presented (!!), I did the math and realized it would cost me a fortune to drink coffee this way! I usually have 5 cups a day, some is decaf, and if I had to use 5 k-cups a day my supply would go so quickly. when they show it you think you are getting alot at 62 k cups but it wouldnt last that long, unless you drank 1 a day. I make small pots (4 cup)and throw out what i don't use and it's economical.

kachina6241322458825.5515685 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

You might check the appliance department at the stores. Last week I saw a coffee maker advertised on TV made by a major appliance manufacturer (who I can't remember) that uses a small cup shaped like a scoop that you put your own coffee in and make one cup. If I recall correctly, it was under $60.

gardenman1322483295.94316985 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

The Keurig is great if you like a variety of coffee/tea flavors and don't want just one type all of the time. They're also really fast if you're in a time crunch. In those case it's probably the most cost effective way of making coffee. If you like one specific type of coffee then the cheapest way is to buy that specific type of coffee and brew it conventionally.

Based on the numbers I've run, making the same coffee all the time is about half as expensive in a conventional manner over the Keurigs. But, if you like a lot of variety in your coffee then buying, stocking, handling all of those individual coffees may make the Keurig a better option for you.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Sooner1322486935.56714793 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The Keurig is a great buy for those who drink a few cups a day at most, like the variety it offers, and like a hot fresh cup now and then. For so many people, making even a small pot of coffee, and dealing with the waste and the mess of cleaning up, and not having a variety of drink choices is not an efficient or pleasant process. It isn't for everyone--just like making a whole pot of coffee isn't for everyone.

I_shop_Q1322487737.248 PostsRegistered 11/15/2011

It is more expensive than regular coffee, but its about convenience and variety. The extra bold k cups are strong and delicious, and its nice to be able to try different roasts/blends. Yes it is more expensive than regular grond coffee, but it's a lot cheaper than stopping at a coffee shop every day.

Amy19001322525356.487769 PostsRegistered 9/18/2011Ohio

My DH is getting me a Keurig for Christmas...just a basic one, not one with all the bells and whistles. I know it is probably cheaper to us my traditional coffee pot, but I am hoping that I will actually cut down on my coffee/creamer/sugar consumption when I make it a cup at a time. I am the only one home during the day on weekdays and currently, I make a whole pot in the morning and I keep drinking it all day because it is there. I don't have alot of self control and I wouldn't want to "waste" it by pouring it out after a couple cups, so I usually drink the whole thing...with flavored creamer and sugar, of course, in each cup. If I drink less, I may actually end up spending less..who knows :).

Plus I love flavored coffee and my husband loves dark roast non-flavored coffee. So we will no longer have to decide which of us gets "our" kind of coffee on the weekends. We both win!

Poodlepet1322546425.3273432 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida

I went with the Keurig because I'm sick and tired of spending a fortune on coffee makers only to have them go belly up in about a year and a half-and I've spent more on a couple than I ever did on the Keurig!

I would agree those k-cups are expensive-there's no question about that. They are also delicious and I feel, truly offer a gourmet coffee shop taste experience....but the "My k-cup" works very well and you can create your own coffee for pennies: you are not obligated to buy k-cups.

Poodlepet

Linders Ba­ck1322595242.2938562 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

Expensive and wasteful: I just could not justify the waste of all the little plastic K-cups. I know many who have these machines and they don't bother to rinse them and recycle them, they just throw them in the trash. I have more respect for Mother Earth than that, so will continue to use my Mr. Coffee. I can make 2 cups at a time in that.

I make tea and cocoa one cup at a time in the cup, in the microwave.

Am thinking of getting a Hamilton Beach Single pod machine for my after dinner Decaf as I only drink that a couple of times a week so the coffee will stay fresher that way. Those pods are biodegradable, too.

"SHUT UP LEGS" - Jens Voight

millieshops1322595781.8314701 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

If you want to save money, don't make your coffee in a Keurig. That said, I love mine, but I use it for my afternoon treat coffee, not for my pot of morning coffee. I have discovered which pods I like - nothing watery, nothing too flavored, but just good strong decaf or maybe hazelnut decaf. I also use my mini when I have company and we each prefer something different.

There's no question using the Keurig costs more than using a regular pot, but so does using a smartphone or an iPod cost more than an ordinary phone, so does having a tv screen that covers half of a den wall. I don't spend on lots of that kind of technology, so the Keurig is a neat luxury for me. Hopefully, we all get to choose one luxury. It's just going to be different for different people. I hope QVC, etc. keeps on offering them!

pegsue1322596001.073391 PostsRegistered 4/7/2005

Nantucket-I agree with you. Not only is the Keurig expensive but if you read reviews and comments there are a lot of problems with it breaking. Yes, they say that the customer service is wonderful and they replace the machine but still......I have a Mr. Coffee 4 cup pot that cost about 15.00 and it's several years old. I can make as much or as little as I want and it doesn't take long and I can make whatever flavor I want. For me I cannot justify the cost of the machine, the time it will take to return/exchange (as it seems it will inevitably happen) or the cost and waste of the plastic k cups.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1322596345.75314077 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I will never willingly give up my Keurig! I got it because I only drink decaf. My SO drinks a lot of coffee and drinks regular so he makes a pot of coffee. However, with is work schedule it's best for him to use the Keurig before work to make one cup, and he likes decaf at night so again he can make only one cup. He uses the coffee pot on the weekend.

I don't want to try and figure out the measurements for only 2-4 cups of coffee for a coffee pot, and then I don't drink it fast enough. I like my coffee hot and fresh. If it sits there for more than 10 minutes I'll throw it out and make a fresh pot. With the Keurig I get a fresh, perfect cup every single time. I suppose I could use the My K-Cup with coffee grounds but I don't want to.

Those that love their Keurig know why. To each their own.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

Sooner1322596808.7314793 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/29/2011 Linders Back said:

Expensive and wasteful: I just could not justify the waste of all the little plastic K-cups. I know many who have these machines and they don't bother to rinse them and recycle them, they just throw them in the trash. I have more respect for Mother Earth than that, so will continue to use my Mr. Coffee. I can make 2 cups at a time in that.

Am thinking of getting a Hamilton Beach Single pod machine for my after dinner Decaf as I only drink that a couple of times a week so the coffee will stay fresher that way. Those pods are biodegradable, too.

That's great! I hope you don't use bath products in plastic either! SOAP is so much better for the earth.

SharonKay1322597756.373791 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

I don't have one but I wanted to respond to say I had a sample cup at Best Buy over the weekend and it was absolutely wonderful. It was very flavorful so I think you may have gotten a bad cup or the person demonstrating it was trying to save money by reusing the k-cup or something.

As for the expense, again, I don't have one but I did some calculations and decided my DH and I drink way too much coffee to even consider getting one at this time. I am considering buying the Hamilton Beach "The Scoop" Single-serve Coffee Maker when our current Mr. Coffee breaks because it seems a lot less expensive than the Keurig and uses a scoop of your own coffee without any kind of filter or anything. We don't need a large variety of coffee, just plain old Maxwell House is fine by us.

Plus, I have to agree it seems really wasteful to me to throw away all those empty k-cups that can't be recycled.

Get rich quick - count your blessings

RedConvert­ibleGirl1322597971.1914077 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

You can use your own coffee with the Keurig. I don't because I don't drink enough, and I don't want a bag of coffee laying around for months. Yes, it's not cheap, but it IS certainly cheaper than if you go to a restaurant or Starbucks or any place that sells a cup of coffee.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

purrmom1322598411.253399 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

I have a little 4 cup Black & Decker coffeemaker that really only makes 2 mugs full. When I want a cup of coffee I just brew 1/2 the amount. Coffee is so expensive here. It's up to $8.99 for what used to be 3 lbs but is a lesser amount now. The Keurig looks great but I think in the long run, after buying the machine & K cups, it's just too pricey.

SharonKay1322598416.4433791 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

Oh, that's interesting that you can use your own coffee in the Keurig because the lady at Best Buy said you couldn't. Maybe I got that wrong but I specifically asked her that question. I'm pretty sure she said you could not.

Hmmm, she also said you couldn't reuse the k-cups but I saw another post on here where many said they did with no problems so maybe she just wanted to sell me a bunch of k-cups or something.

Thanks for the info about using your own coffee. I haven't watched any presentation of it because I wasn't all that interested until I sampled a cup over the weekend.

Get rich quick - count your blessings

fbm2lsm1322601108.1072599 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010

I love my Keurig, but it is not cheaper that making a pot of coffee. I drink flavored coffee and my DH likes his coffee weak,and freshly brewed, so for us it is perfect. We always make our coffee at home to take with us. For me the convienience is worth something. We love the variety, but a $10 Mr Coffee and coffee purchased by the pound is cheaper.

The quality and convienence is worth the price difference for us.

Rember if You are going to be dumb You had better be tough

Linders Ba­ck1322601459.6038562 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
On 11/29/2011 Sooner said:
On 11/29/2011 Linders Back said:

That's great! I hope you don't use bath products in plastic either! SOAP is so much better for the earth.

I honestly don't understand this post? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Items that I buy in plastic come in larger containers that are: not as wasteful; are often made of post-consumer plastic; and are then recycled again. I also look for bath/laundry products that in themselves are good for the earth. Sorry, but that's just something that is important to me and if that makes me a bad person, so be it.

If I believed that everyone (or even some people) with Kreurigs took the time to recycle each and every K-cup, then I wouldn't think the machine was wasteful. But that is not how the product is marketed. I didn't listen to every TSV presentation but those that I did see/hear weren't encouraging folks to recycle and they were just tossing the empties away. Most people I know and even some here on this thread say they love the "convenience" of "no clean-up", and you can't recycle dirty plastic. You have to make the effort to rinse it.

The OP asked for opinions of K-cup vs regular pot. I gave mine. Doesn't mean it's better than anyone else's, it's just "mine". Smile

"SHUT UP LEGS" - Jens Voight

bonnielu1322601834.6935648 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I finally bought one... the special value. My hubby grinds his own coffee. He cleans the pot and unit after each pot full. Obsessive I know. The time he spends is ridiculous to me.
So I figured I would buy it, hopefully make life easier, or not, for him. And we get pop in guests and I think for us it would be useful. I don't drink coffee, so a whole pot for one person might also be expensive over time.

sunala1322604899.71319338 PostsRegistered 11/13/2004

What I don't understand is that you have the option of using different amounts of water, depending on how much coffee you want to prepare.

So, in that one little Keurig cup, you can brew 6 oz, 8 oz, or 10 oz of coffee. Wouldn't that cause the cup with the most water to be too weak, and the small cup be too strong? Same amount of ground coffee with different amounts of water will definitely affect how the coffee will taste. Yes? No?

It sounds like a fun thing to have but in reality, it wouldn't work for us. I'd rather brew my pot for the day, and since we both work at home, it's just enough for the two of us. If we want more, I can always brew a fresh pot at night. Easy peasy.

Sunny

He who limps is still walking.
~~Joan Rivers

Oh what a sh*t business this is. You have to look good.
~~Joan Rivers

tennpal151322605831.987437 PostsRegistered 12/15/2005

I love the Keurig... and the coffee it makes has plenty of flavor. Sometimes it's nice to have a small indulgence (isn't that how Starbucks grew & grew? lol).

These types of threads remind me of the e-reader v. "real books" debates.

I want one cup of coffee at a time. I don't want any microwaved, old coffee that's been sitting around all day.

I must be a millionaire. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

PinkyPetun­ia1322605987.2774534 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ

I've tried drinking Keurig coffee at my eye doctor's office where they have that in the waiting room for patients to use. It was OK but nothing outstanding IMO. The Keurig doesn't interest me. I'm fine using a drip-type coffee maker and ground coffee.

I am confused by those who say they make a whole pot of coffee and feel obliged to drink it all or it will go to waste. Just make less. I make a half pot of coffee every morning and it's enough for my husband and me. It just takes a bit of experimenting to learn how much ground coffee is needed. Or buy a smaller 4 cup coffeemaker.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1322606953.65714077 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW
On 11/29/2011 SharonKay said:

Oh, that's interesting that you can use your own coffee in the Keurig because the lady at Best Buy said you couldn't. Maybe I got that wrong but I specifically asked her that question. I'm pretty sure she said you could not.

Hmmm, she also said you couldn't reuse the k-cups but I saw another post on here where many said they did with no problems so maybe she just wanted to sell me a bunch of k-cups or something.

That's what the My K-Cup is for - to use your own coffee grounds instead of using one of the many K-Cup varieties. I would assume you could it in all models, but maybe not?

I'm sure you could use the K-Cup twice, but then you're second cup of coffee will be weaker. But I guess you could use one coffee mug and use the same K-Cup twice on the 4 oz setting instead of the 8 oz setting.

Last edited on 11/29/2011

RedConvert­ibleGirl1322607210.60314077 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW
On 11/29/2011 PinkyPetunia said:

I've tried drinking Keurig coffee at my eye doctor's office where they have that in the waiting room for patients to use. It was OK but nothing outstanding IMO. .

It really depends on which brand you use. I tried several and there are certain brands I don't care for at all. Same with my SO. He went through a lot (I purchased sample packages) before he decided he liked Tully's French Roast best (and of course Starbucks). He also said the Barista brand is also very good.

Page 1 of 2