Frequent Contributor

Clark's bendable shoes are not good for people with foot problems

I have developed foot pain due to fallen arches. I also seem to have developed plantar facitis in one foot. I finally saw a podiatrist after suffering for months. He has recommended orthotic inserts and told me to avoid heels, flip-flops and bare feet. He also said it was important to get shoes that were supportive in the arch and that did not bend at the arch. He said to test shoes first before buying..if they bend at the arch don't get them. He said the bend should be up at the bottom of the toes.

I always thought clarks are so good for the feet, but apparently not, as they famously bend at the arch. i own several clark shoes. I will continue to wear them, but with the insoles for added support.

Super Contributor

Re: Clark's bendable shoes are not good for people with foot problems

I thought they did bend at the toe region.

Anyway, the Vionic with Orthaheel Technology shoes are probably better suited for this. I have also had plantar fasciitis issues and gone through cortisone shots, night braces, exercises and more to relieve the pain. The right shoes have helped. I also rarely go barefoot.

I do now have several Vionic shoes and slippers. Once you get used to them they will feel great and offer excellent support. I also wear Merrell's and New Balance shoes and sneakers, often with an added arch support.

Frequent Contributor

Thank-you for the information. I am planning on looking into the vionic orthoheels. I was actually considering getting the slippers today. Boy I always took my feet for granted..this foot pain is life changing . I am getting so depressed about it, as I have always been an active person. But I will press on and look for solutions.

Frequent Contributor

I just retested a pair of clarks I own to make sure I was right about the bending. They are made for people who are on their feet all day and were about 120 dollars at QVC. And yes they bend in the middle. I got these because of my foot problems.

Honored Contributor

They are also heavy

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have worn Clark shoes for years. I really liked their "springer" heel shoes they used to have. I can't wear the bendables to walk in or shop for hours. I do really like my maryjanes with the sneaker heels though. They are called "Wave". Best shoes I have ever had for wearing all day or being on your feet. My back feels better when I wear them, too. Smile I did have to pay over a hundred dollars for them several years ago but they have worn so well and with a little polish still look great!

Honored Contributor

Clark's bendable shoes are not good for certain people with specific foot problems and are excellent for other people with different specific problems. Similarly, Vionic Orthaheel shoes are excellent for some feet and terrible for others. No matter what the advertising says, you have to do the research!
Esteemed Contributor

I have your problem, was told the same by a podiatrist, got the inserts. I wear the bendable without the inserts and walk 5 miles a,day in them. No pain in knees or joints. I have the expensive inserts in my regular walking shoes and still had pain. I swear by Clarks and must have twenty five pairs of their assort. Labels. Love the MaryJanes. A couple of days ago, they showed cute pumps, now heels, that is another story.

My ortho inserts were 200 for first and 150 for 2nd. The first they made a mills of my feet, so the 2nd were cheaper. This was done at my HIM about ten years ago. Custom made that is why so expensive. This was before I started buying Clark's.

Respected Contributor

I just purchased a pair of Clark's Bendable ankle boots, and they are the most uncomfortable boots I have ever worn...no padding in the foot bed and too cramped in the toe box. They are going back. I ordered a pair of Soft Walks in their place.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2014 violann said: Clark's bendable shoes are not good for certain people with specific foot problems and are excellent for other people with different specific problems. Similarly, Vionic Orthaheel shoes are excellent for some feet and terrible for others. No matter what the advertising says, you have to do the research!

I think you are so right! It pays to research your own specific problems. Mine is more back and heels and one hour standing on a cement floor at an antique shop can tell me whether or not my shoes are working for me.