Valued Contributor

Is this piece way overpriced or is it just me?

I just ordered this bracelet. Have had the matching ring for a while now and love it. I love the bracelet, too. But the more I think about it the more I wonder if it is just WAY too much money for what it is. With shipping/tax we're talking over $250. I must have gotten the very last one because it was "unavailable" as soon as my order went through. I also have the feeling that I got a return because the outer back of the polished part of the bracelet had some small scratches/scuff marks on it when it arrived and the onyx has some teeny surface blemishes. Nothing that would ever be noticeable. Maybe I am just trying to talk myself into sending it back because it was so expensive. Does anybody else have it and think it's worth that much money? (And those who are getting ready to make snarky comments go right ahead if it makes you feel better.)

Carolyn Pollack Carved Black Onyx Signature Sterling Cuff

Honored Contributor

Re: Is this piece way overpriced or is it just me?

It's a lovely piece and really, I suppose to some extent, it's worth what you're willing to pay to have it... That said, for silver and onyx it might be a tad over-priced, but that assessment is also impacted by how much you enjoy it and the wear you'll get out of it... If you enjoy it and plan to wear it often, then it might just be worth every dime...

Smile

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I don't have this one but her pieces are good quality and this is all sterling not bronze. As stevieb said if you plan to wear it often then it's worth it.

Regular Contributor

I think the silver jewelry sold on QVC in general is way over-priced. This may only be my opinion but since I was a young girl 40 - 50 years ago, if you bought something silver you could always count on it being cheap and almost throwaway when you were bored with it. I guess I never got that notion out of my head all these years. When I see Pollock or Ripka pieces especially the Ripkas priced so high - even $500 + I scratch my head wondering why. I think a lot of customers feel that silver, though pretty, is worth so much less than gold and that drives the hosts to constantly say how it' s a "noble metal" and the most light reflecting to make it sound worth more. I used to make jewelry in one of my former lives and I didn't much value silver then either. It's value is in what you design and how well executed it is. Still not buying high priced silver. It would have to be absolutely stunning to tempt me.
Esteemed Contributor

I have several CP bracelets and I find them very pretty, and worth the $.

It would appear that our "throw away" society started long ago, and that could explain scarcity of metal (higher prices).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

It might be overpriced - looks to me like stainless steel.

Honored Contributor

If you are mentioning all the little scratches you see, then send it back!! In my mind, if you spend that kind of money, you should get a pristine piece of jewelry, not someone sloppy seconds. It is a lovely piece and if you can afford it, more power to you. But get a brand, new unblemished one.

Contributor

I say keep it if you like it. I've seen $1000 silver necklaces, and if memory serves, there was a Judith Ripka bangle in the $5000-$6000 range. So I think you're getting a deal! I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Ripka bangle that is $500, but it's just gorgeous ... although I don't wear much silver, and I really dislike fake gems, and it has pink diamonique. Did I mention how pretty it is, though?

Contributor

Yes, I would never pay that much for a bracelet unless it is diamonds.

Super Contributor

On 2/14/2015 wagirl said:

If you are mentioning all the little scratches you see, then send it back!! In my mind, if you spend that kind of money, you should get a pristine piece of jewelry, not someone sloppy seconds. It is a lovely piece and if you can afford it, more power to you. But get a brand, new unblemished one.

Completely agree: you deserve it to be pristine, which it clearly is not if you are noticing problems. Best wishes with whatever you decide!