Super Contributor

How do we really know that Sleeping Beauty mine is closed?

I notice that Carolyn had loads of sleeping beauty and on HSN they also manage to feature it. If it is going to be so valuable, why are they selling it instead of keeping it until it is really scarce? I am glad that I have beauties from years ago. What do you think? Is it really closed?
Honored Contributor

Re: How do we really know that Sleeping Beauty mine is closed?

ALL the shopping channels say it is closed and they ALL have 'secret sources"" who have been hoarding it for this very moment.

Super Contributor

This is getting even OLDER than the fact that yes, the mine was closed 2 years ago. If anyone thinks its a hoax, don't buy any Sleeping Beauty.

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles
Super Contributor

Also, and I've said this many times (sorry!) - there are different grades of SB - some not so great - probably A LOT not so great, and then there is top grade A quality. So much of the low grade is out there - that is the kind that has been dug from very deep, and I would not pay as much for it - it's not as saturated and rich looking as the stones that were taken from higher up on the ground (much of that would have been mined over 20 years ago). An example of excellent, high quality SB would be CP's American West "super" naja.

Respected Contributor

Because it pricked its finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel

Super Contributor

You are so right Juggie - it's all about the ""quality"" - and the ""size"" they can get - that is gone - unless you have a source you can afford to buy from - the other stuff - nobody would want - at least not collectors like us! So people if you are sick of hearing ""the mine is closed"" get over it!!

Honored Contributor

By the way, there is no grading system for turquoise....or any gemstone for that matter. The TV hucksters would have you believe it's grade A or AAA or whatever they make up, but there is no official grade. However, it's obvious some is better than others.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It's about a five hour drive from my desert house, I could go check to see if it's really closed (: eta....maybe there is someone from Globe here who can verify (:
Super Contributor

On 7/6/2014 kachina624 said: By the way, there is no grading system for turquoise....or any gemstone for that matter. The TV hucksters would have you believe it's grade A or AAA or whatever they make up, but there is no official grade. However, it's obvious some is better than others.

Hi Kachina . . and sorry - I was using the word "grade" for lack of a better word lol.

Respected Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Ladybug724 said:

Because it pricked its finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

In all seriousness, I think the Sleeping Beauty mines are closed, but companies buy up a whole lot, maybe about 1 or 2 years worth, and then sell it to people.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder