Regular Contributor

I am looking forward to the American West red coral jewelry coming up on the July 4th shows. What surprised me on the video for the AW red coral heart enhancer was that Carolyn said the red coral was dyed and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get the deep red color. Does anyone know anymore about this? I always thought Carolyn's stones were natural. Any info would be appreciated. Love her jewelry!!

Contributor

Hi laj3169,

You got me to wondering the same thing about red coral. Wikipedia has an in depth explanation indicating that natural red coral is quite expensive. Dyed coral is definitely faux coral.

Super Contributor

Coral is an endangered species and strictly regulated. What they use nowadays in the jewelry market is sea bamboo which can be dyed red or pink or whatever color demand dictates.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply Anima Farm!

If anyone is interested in the discussion on dyed red coral, check out item#J290861.

Would love to hear other opinions!

Regular Contributor

Kathoderay - Yes, it was mentioned in the video that this is sea bamboo. How can they sell this as coral if it isn't actually coral?

Thanks for your post and knowledge.

Super Contributor
On 6/15/2014 laj3169 said:

Kathoderay - Yes, it was mentioned in the video that this is sea bamboo. How can they sell this as coral if it isn't actually coral?

Thanks for your post and knowledge.

Different countries have different laws and regulations about full disclosure. You could spend hours online researching everything or spend the time shopping for what is a very pretty enhancer!

One thing for sure beyond the QVC return policy, Carolyn Pollack's company stands behind the jewelry they sell with a lifetime warranty.

Super Contributor
On 6/15/2014 AnimalFarm said:

Dyed coral is definitely faux coral.

No, faux coral would be plastic.

Bamboo coral is coral (Bamboo coral, family Isididae, is a family of mostly deep-sea coral of the phylum Cnidaria, class Anthozoa, and subclass Octocorallia. It is a commonly recognized inhabitant of the deep sea, due to the clearly articulated skeletons of the species), even if it isn't naturally red.

Or do you want your jewelry to come from endangered species and destroy the environment?

Regular Contributor

Kathoderay - You are so right!

The internet says Bamboo coral is also known as "sea bamboo" because of it's banding pattern. The coral is naturally gray, green, white or reddish brown. Bamboo coral is commonly dyed to red to enhance it's color and sometimes it is dyed pink.

To me this sounds like "sea bamboo" is in the coral family.

Regular Contributor

Ennui1 -

Thanks for your post - that faux coral would be plastic.

Super Contributor

Great question laj! I just got a lesson myself from one of our favorite peeps, and it's good to know that the sea bamboo coral (real coral!) that CP uses is not endangered, but is usually dyed. That's fine with me - the pieces I have (Cody's coral necklace/pendant and Santa Rosa 36" bead necklace and a few rings) are absolutely beautiful! I am waaaay excited to see the new pieces - they are LONG overdue!

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles