Frequent Contributor
I have never purchased pieces with brass before because I would think they look like costume jewelry. I love both of the brass cuffs from the American West show and finally made a decision to buy Fritz Casuse Tsv cuff. The brass cuff with the cross was stunning as well but I just don't know if I will like the pieces with brass when I get them. I also ordered Jody Naranjos necklace from last years collection from Caroline Pollacks site yesterday. These pieces are so stunning, but I can't help but be shy about the brass. I hope I am worrying about nothing and these pieces will be as gorgeous in person as on air. Any thoughts?
Super Contributor

When purchasing sterling with brass jewelry, I have to consider the salt-air environment where I live is harsh on metals, brass in particular, so that alone limits my purchases. It also comes down to personal taste. Seems to me without the brass elements in many of the designs, I think you'd have just another same old silver piece. Perfect example is Jody's design you just purchased, I own it, and feel the brass adds to the fabulous detail in the design. So there is a place for brass, a small place mind you, because all sterling will always be my first love.

Enjoy your new purchases!

Honored Contributor
I personally am not feeling the brass American West pieces at all. For one thing, brass at least the untreated version, tarnishes on me within a few hours of putting it on. I've never been able to return it to its original shine. Secondly, I just don't like the look at all. Give me 100% silver. I'm a purist.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Maybe brass knuckles are next.

Esteemed Contributor
Don't be fooled, ladies. I have collected jewelry for many years and have a lot of jewelry purchased during trips to the southwest. I do have a few of Carolyn's earlier pieces, which are spectacular. Beautiful silver work, as well as very large pieces of turquoise. They are "family heirloom" material. Sadly, a lot of her jewelry she is offering at late have cheapened. Brass is extensively used simply to save money. Brass does not pass the test of time. I have a few pieces of designer silver jewelry accented with gold, sparingly done, and they are well worth the investment. All this brass Carolyn is using simply looks trashy. And what's with all the "doublets"? Again, a way to save money. Just take a slice of a gemstone, cover it with quartz, facet it, and pass it off as a beautiful gemstone? again, a way of saving money. I can't believe all the people who are purchasing this stuff. It reminds me of Judith Ripka, who is doing the same thing. I have so earlier Ripka pieces, when she used genuine gemstones. She has also used the "doublet" route. There's no comparison between genuine stones and "doublets". save your money and purchase good quality jewelry that you will enjoy forever and be proud of what you will pass down to your family. I am so disappointed that QVC is selling inferior junk at high prices.
Super Contributor

Trashy?? I beg to differ - I have an extensive CP collection going back over 20 years - and own many Brass and silver pieces - they are treated for the oxidation process and none of them have ever tarnished on me -- I do think it does on some people but I think it might have to do with certain chemical reactions that some have -- but to say ""trashy"" - well there is nothing ""trashy"" about CP jewelry!!

Super Contributor
On 6/20/2014 PamfromCT said: Don't be fooled, ladies. I have collected jewelry for many years and have a lot of jewelry purchased during trips to the southwest. I do have a few of Carolyn's earlier pieces, which are spectacular. Beautiful silver work, as well as very large pieces of turquoise. They are "family heirloom" material. Sadly, a lot of her jewelry she is offering at late have cheapened. Brass is extensively used simply to save money. Brass does not pass the test of time. I have a few pieces of designer silver jewelry accented with gold, sparingly done, and they are well worth the investment. All this brass Carolyn is using simply looks trashy. And what's with all the "doublets"? Again, a way to save money. Just take a slice of a gemstone, cover it with quartz, facet it, and pass it off as a beautiful gemstone? again, a way of saving money. I can't believe all the people who are purchasing this stuff. It reminds me of Judith Ripka, who is doing the same thing. I have so earlier Ripka pieces, when she used genuine gemstones. She has also used the "doublet" route. There's no comparison between genuine stones and "doublets". save your money and purchase good quality jewelry that you will enjoy forever and be proud of what you will pass down to your family. I am so disappointed that QVC is selling inferior junk at high prices.

Wow . . thank heavens you came along and joined the forums to set us all straight. Oh and comparing JR to CP . . brilliant.

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles
Super Contributor
On 3/28/2014 BLB said: I have never purchased pieces with brass before because I would think they look like costume jewelry. I love both of the brass cuffs from the American West show and finally made a decision to buy Fritz Casuse Tsv cuff. The brass cuff with the cross was stunning as well but I just don't know if I will like the pieces with brass when I get them. I also ordered Jody Naranjos necklace from last years collection from Caroline Pollacks site yesterday. These pieces are so stunning, but I can't help but be shy about the brass. I hope I am worrying about nothing and these pieces will be as gorgeous in person as on air. Any thoughts?

BLB, let me put your mind at rest. Don't be shy about brass IF you like the design. I own the Jody Naranjo animal pendant and the Fritz Casuse cuff. First of all, both are of outstanding quality. The pendant is a heavy silver plaque with brass animals on top. It is heavily oxidized to resemble pottery. It is probably one of my most favorite Native American pieces of jewelry. I have gotten so many compliments (also in Europe) whenever I wear it. However, I do not wear my jewelry to receive compliments, I wear it because I like it and it makes me feel good. Now Fritz's cuff is totally TDF (to die for). It is VERY heavy on the silver with some brass accents and absolutely beautiful blue-green turquoise. You will love it. Fritz's cuff has yet to tarnish even though I have worn on outdoors a lot, including at the beach.

Sterling is always my first choice, especially paired with turq. Last year I purchased a signature bead bracelet with mag closure from Carolyn made of silver, copper and brass. Very handsome, however, the brass ones immediatly tarnished when I wore them and I needed to shine them up frequently. So, these are not so user friendly. I had ordered the accompanying necklace and sent that one back for this reason. Too expensive to have to constantly polish. However, Carolyn's newer brass pieces DO NOT tarnish because of a protective coating. She mentioned this during the last show again. Case in point, I own a flower enhancer she introduced I believe early this year and that piece (silver and brass) is as shiny as the day I bought it. I wear it a lot because I love flowers and critters, lol.

And yes, I do love the cuff with the cross because it is such an unusual design. However, I will wait up the next American West show. Smile

Super Contributor
On 6/20/2014 cooking lady said:

Trashy?? I beg to differ - I have an extensive CP collection going back over 20 years - and own many Brass and silver pieces - they are treated for the oxidation process and none of them have ever tarnished on me -- I do think it does on some people but I think it might have to do with certain chemical reactions that some have -- but to say "trashy" - well there is nothing "trashy" about CP jewelry!!

WAY TO GO, COOKING LADY. I totally agree with you. This is the first that someone described Carolyn's jewely as trashy. Please!!! One may not care for the metal, and that is fine. I believe in the case of the signature beads, the metal alloy may be such that my skin probably reacts adversely and causes the beads to tarnish. It hasn't happen with any of my other CPJ and American West Jewelry.

Super Contributor
On 6/20/2014 Haca said:
On 3/28/2014 BLB said: I have never purchased pieces with brass before because I would think they look like costume jewelry. I love both of the brass cuffs from the American West show and finally made a decision to buy Fritz Casuse Tsv cuff. The brass cuff with the cross was stunning as well but I just don't know if I will like the pieces with brass when I get them. I also ordered Jody Naranjos necklace from last years collection from Caroline Pollacks site yesterday. These pieces are so stunning, but I can't help but be shy about the brass. I hope I am worrying about nothing and these pieces will be as gorgeous in person as on air. Any thoughts?

BLB, let me put your mind at rest. Don't be shy about brass IF you like the design. I own the Jody Naranjo animal pendant and the Fritz Casuse cuff. First of all, both are of outstanding quality. The pendant is a heavy silver plaque with brass animals on top. It is heavily oxidized to resemble pottery. It is probably one of my most favorite Native American pieces of jewelry. I have gotten so many compliments (also in Europe) whenever I wear it. However, I do not wear my jewelry to receive compliments, I wear it because I like it and it makes me feel good. Now Fritz's cuff is totally TDF (to die for). It is VERY heavy on the silver with some brass accents and absolutely beautiful blue-green turquoise. You will love it. Fritz's cuff has yet to tarnish even though I have worn on outdoors a lot, including at the beach.

Sterling is always my first choice, especially paired with turq. Last year I purchased a signature bead bracelet with mag closure from Carolyn made of silver, copper and brass. Very handsome, however, the brass ones immediatly tarnished when I wore them and I needed to shine them up frequently. So, these are not so user friendly. I had ordered the accompanying necklace and sent that one back for this reason. Too expensive to have to constantly polish. However, Carolyn's newer brass pieces DO NOT tarnish because of a protective coating. She mentioned this during the last show again. Case in point, I own a flower enhancer she introduced I believe early this year and that piece (silver and brass) is as shiny as the day I bought it. I wear it a lot because I love flowers and critters, lol.

And yes, I do love the cuff with the cross because it is such an unusual design. However, I will wait up the next American West show. Smile

Great words, Haca!

I believe the other poster is a one-and-done. I think she was bored and decided to start something . . so silly of her to say such things at this forum.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles