Valued Contributor

Mixed Metals from Carolyn....any problems?

Has anyone had any problems with the mixed metals Carolyn uses? Tarnish and the like?

Have found a piece I like but have always stayed clear of the brass/bronze/copper theme.

Any thoughts would be appreciated so much! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Mixed Metals from Carolyn....any problems?

I ordered a mixed metal bracelet when she 1st started doing this. I sent it back immediately. It looked cheap to me & certainly wasn't. I am not a fan or bronze, or brass in jewelry, so it might just be me. As far as the tarnish, I couldn't answer. You might look under the "question" section of the reviews, & see if anyone asked that ??

Super Contributor

I. as well as many other long time CP collectors have many of CP's mixed metals - there is nothing cheap looking about them - they are beautifully done -and quite expensive looking! - Elegant in fact!! she was doing the mixed metals long before the"" Bronzo and plated craze -"" none have ever tarnished - she treats them with some sort of anti-tarnish treatment - they are beautiful and very high end!! Go for it- doubt you will be sorry -

Respected Contributor

I have a couple charm bracelets of hers that I really like. I have always kept them in an anti-tarnish jewelry box. Although the silver parts still look fine, the brass and copper parts have darkened. I have to polish them, which doesn't quite bring them back to the original color or shine. I will probably not purchase that type of metal again because it's just too much of a bother for me.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

This ring gets noticed every time I wear it. Nothing cheap looking about it.

Honored Contributor

I have several pieces of CP mixed metals jewelry, including most of the Canyon Road Collection, and not a single piece has discolored. Most of them are kept in their original packaging. For those of you who choose to refer to anything as "looking cheap", I'm sure that you are aware that the term is absolutely meaningless, since what looks cheap to you is very likely to look rich and elegant to others. It is both more helpful and more persuasive to use a few objective terms to describe what you characterize as cheap. "Cheap" cannot be visualized objectively.
Valued Contributor

I find the copper tarnishes but cleaning is the work of seconds when you swipe with a polishing cloth.

The brass has been ok for me.

Super Contributor

Well said Violann- Canyon Road is the most elegant collection I own!!

Frequent Contributor

As a long time collector of CP, I have never hesitated buying her two tones, etc. pieces I find the finishes are definitely high end, and if I choose to, I mix her various metals with gold accessories, like chains, gold earrings, and it all works well! As far as tarnishing, no issues at all, sometimes I will take a Sunshine cloth and polish an item that has, copper, but other than that no need. I use anti tarnish jewelry boxes also.

Super Contributor

Owning mixed metal jewelry differs from things like location and climate, also how they're stored between wearing items.

My experience with Carolyn Pollack/American West mixed metal jewelry has varied, particularly with brass and bronze. With my salt-air coastal location, I anticipate sterling and copper are going to tarnish over time as treatments or coatings wear with use, these metals polish nicely with a polishing cloth. Brass or bronze on the other hand, haven't tolerated my climate at all, and tarnish right away - no matter how I store them. Polishing those metals to renew the luster is a messy tedious job, since a sunshine, or any brand polishing cloth I've tried is useless, so I use a chemical brass cleaner.

My suggestion, give the item you like a test run to see how it works out for you. Even though a few pieces of my collection with brass or bronze are a pita to maintain, I do not regret my purchases.