Super Contributor

Yankee Candle Large Tumbler -vs- Jar Candles-

Which do you prefer?

I have recently decided to try Yankee again after giving up on them for about 5 years or so due to the low scent throw. I read somewhere that the large tumblers with the "smooth" wax do not throw as well as the Large Jar with the "marbled" wax. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with this issue. I liked the tumbler due to the 2 wicks and the fact that they pool quicker but I don't want to spend my money on more dud's. I was looking at Red Velvet Cake, Vanilla Cupcake and Chocolate Layer Cake scents.

Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Yankee Candle Large Tumbler -vs- Jar Candles-

Chocolate layer cake is great!!! I like large jars but have had good scent throw with the smooth wax too. I say get both and figure out what you prefer. You can go wrong with yankee in my opinion. Seems like yankee got the scent situation inder control.
Respected Contributor

I started out getting the large jars. Even using the illuma-lids and burning for at least 4 hours as directed my candles rarely developed a wax pool all the way to the edge of the jar. I always ended up putting a foil collar on them. I don't always have hours at home to devote to getting a full wax pool on a candle before I have to extinguish it. I really like the Tarts as they melt quickly and there's no flame to tend to. I recently got a couple of the large tumbler candles and can say they seem to melt to a pool quicker. The throw on them was fine but I think the fruit scented ones are generally well scented. As far as marbling goes I got a Vanilla Oak jar with the marbled wax and on first burning I could not smell it at all. I won't give up on it just yet as I've read that sometimes it takes a couple burns before the scent develops. Personally, I'd go for the Tumbler or the tarts. Enjoy your candles!

Trusted Contributor

I find that the two-wick Yankee tumblers definitely produce less scent. I'm not sure why -- You would think that a faster melt would provide more scent, but it doesn't. The large one-wicks seem to give out the strongest throw. That being said, I haven't burned a YC in about a year. Maybe they have changed.