Trusted Contributor

Candleholder quandary. Need advice.

I have a set of metal wall sconces that are perfect for my bedroom. I would like to use a pair of flameless pillar candles with them, however there is a metal prong that extends vertically on the the candleholder that holds wax candles in place. I don't really even understand the purpose of it as most wax pillar candles have metal wicks at the bottom that prevent you from placing them on the candleholder anyway. Has anyone had experience removing these prongs from a candleholder and if so, what tool did you use to cut it off? Not really handy with tools, so I don't have much experience with anything beyond a screwdriver. Lol! Any advice you can provide will be much appreciated.
Honored Contributor

Re: Candleholder quandary. Need advice.

If the metal is not that sturdy, you can take needle nose pliers and bend it back and forth until it snaps off. Otherwise you'll need wire cutters or tin snips.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for the speedy feedback! It is much appreciated. I'm off to Home Depot today for furnace filters so I will look for the wire cutters or tin snips. The metal prong is pretty sturdy so I think the second option is what I need. Thank you so much. :-)
Honored Contributor

On 10/5/2014 LabLuver said: Thank you so much for the speedy feedback! It is much appreciated. I'm off to Home Depot today for furnace filters so I will look for the wire cutters or tin snips. The metal prong is pretty sturdy so I think the second option is what I need. Thank you so much. :-)

Take them with you to the store, and you can show them what you're trying to accomplish. They might even do it for you there. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

That is a great idea lolakimono. I know they are very helpful there. Thanks, I think I will do just that.
Honored Contributor

I would use bolt cutters. If you try to bend and snap it off, you may still end up with a "nub" on the bottom.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If you are still in search of something, I know from my own experience that end cut pliers work great for this task.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm thinking the end cut pliers look like a good option, considering the angle I need to cut from. Ended up getting furnace filters elsewhere and never made it to Home Depot so still need to snip the prongs off. Thanks again yo everyone,