Contributor

recommendation for battery operated candles for pet owners

I lose my power alot....I am looking for the battery operated candles that QVC sells..I have 3 cats ....cannot use real candles......which brand is the best to use......and is easy to use...thanks

Contributor

Re: recommendation for battery operated candles for pet owners

I don't know what brand it is, but I get mine at Costco. They come out around the holidays, and are in packs of six for around $30.00. They have timers and take AA batteries. I love them.

Honored Contributor

Why not buy the flameless candles from QVC? I don't have pets so have never bought them, but they look lovely.

Trusted Contributor

I have the QVC versions from Luminara (my favorites) as well as the Candle Impressions. I also have a set of the ones from Costco. I'm a candle freak Smiley Wink

Anyway, the Luminara are my favorite; I have 6 in my windows (in the pewter-like base with the finger ring to carry) and two other pillar styles. I had a couple more but my daughter "stole" them Smiley Happy They do go through batteries faster, probably because of the flickering but I think they are worth it. Each uses 2 D batteries approximately every 3 mos, sometimes faster, assuming you use the timer function. I invested in rechargeable D batteries since I love the look in my windows but hated paying for those batteries every three months.

The Candle Impressions are also beautiful but I've found them to not put off as much light. The batteries last slightly longer. But if you want light due to power outages you may prefer the Luminara for that reason alone.

The Costco version I have is a "thinner" pillar so has a slightly different look. I think they are just as good as CI unless you like or need a thicker pillar. Diameters as follows:

CI Diameter = 3 1/8", wax thickness at top of candle 3/4"

Costco Diameter = 2 7/8", wax thickness at top of candle 3/8"

So you can see they are just a little smaller and that results in a completely different look.

As to initial cost, Luminara are by far the most expensive, followed by CI and of course the Costco version is the least expensive.

Batteries, Luminara take 2 D batteries, CI take 2 C batteries and Costco's take 2 AA batteries.

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

I have candles similar to these:

H202195 - Luminara

Luminara Set of 2 3x4 Flameless Candles with Timers

These are in my window, from Luminara, but apparently not available on QVC right now. Probably will be back in the fall.

BTW, the only Candle Impressions pillars I can find on QVC use AA batteries so I guess the kind I had are not available now either.

And the Costco version aren't online right now either. But my SIL works at a Costco and said Christmas items will be put out in the next week or so.

KJPA
Respected Contributor

I have different kinds and my cats don't bother any of them, but I did wonder if they would be curious about the Luminara ones that have a rocking piece of plastic to simulate a flame. They aren't.

One point. I find that the flameless candles aren't really as bright as real candles and not very useful for lighting an otherwise unlit room. I think the Luminara ones are brighter than the kind without a moving wick.

Respected Contributor

Luminara flame-less candles I bought from QVC R a rip off!

What does that mean:

1) They take 2 D sized batteries that last at the most 5 weeks!!!!!!!! So I decided not to use the automated timer to save battery life and switched them on & off each night. However, the switch quit working!!!!!!!!!!!! These are useless!!!!!!

Pottery Barn has great flame-less candles and the batteries, (different sizes depending on which size of candle you select) last 6 months!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Buy the cheapest you can find. Cats don't care what brand you use.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We have 3 dogs, also lose power a lot. We lost it for 7 full days the last 3 Octobers and boy did these come in handy. I have a set of 2 lanterns and yes, they really give an excellent light. I don't know if they no longer have them or are out of them since I just looked for you. They came in a set of 2 and you could get either sort of a bronze color or sort of a silver color. I got a set of both. I find these are much brighter than any regular candle or flameless candle plus more sturdy with the base.

I also have 2 sets of Bethlehem lights that are battery operated that I use in such cases as well. I didn't string them out, keep them tied together as they came(are a string of lights) and they also cast a very nice light BUT for a nice bright light, bright enough to eat by or see in any room I would suggest the set of 2 lanterns if and when they come back in. One lights up my whole bathroom not that it is a big room though.

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Momof3rescuetzus said:

I don't know what brand it is, but I get mine at Costco. They come out around the holidays, and are in packs of six for around $30.00. They have timers and take AA batteries. I love them.

All of my flameless candles are the ones from Costco. I love that they have a timer. My batteries seem to last forever also! I've always loved burning real candles but I now have two 4 year old kitties that are very kittenish and into trouble all the time! {#emotions_dlg.wub} So I have to use only flameless now.

"Pure Michigan"