Occasional Contributor

Hi, everyone!

I was paying bills earlier (ugh) and noticed quite a jump in my electric bill. I know I have been using my electric tart warmers more than usual and was wondering if any of you have noticed an increase in your utility statements? I have burned candles for years, but mostly used to either actually burn candles or use tea lights in the tart burners. Now, since I seem to have my electric tart burner going for hours each day, I wonder if this could be the cause of my increased electric bill. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, everyone. Cheryl

Frequent Contributor
Are you serious?
Occasional Contributor

Yes, totally. I am on the "budget" plan and have my utilities debited, so don't normally pay much attention to my bill, but when I was going over my statements this afternoon, I noticed an increase in my electric budget, so checked the last few months for my actual account balances. I mean, it's no fortune and I won't stop using my burners, but it did increase by probably $20-$25 per month and that is the only thing I can think of that would have raised the price. We heat with natural gas, so that can't be the reason and the a/c is certainly not on. Like I said, it's not enough to stop me from using the burners, but I was just wondering if anybody else noticed an issue. Possibily, it's the burner itself (Yankee brand). TIA

Honored Contributor

Here's my story about something similar. OK, so I have had a large electric burner that holds liquid dark pink candle (sented) for a very long time.

It just stays on. No problem.

Well when my daughter and her family were stopping by on their way to other in-laws for Christmas I decided to run the vacuum one more time!

I plugged in the vacuum (and I promise my brain said, "Bad idea") but I didn't listen. I plugged the vacuum into the extension cord that also had the electric burner on it.......I tugged just to get a little farther and........the entire burner of liquid candle wax went all over the rug (light beige) and everything around it!

I am still trying to get it up! What a mess! I think I am going to have to replace the entire rug because it is so thick on it. It doesn't help that the wax was dark pink!

That's my story about melted wax! I am famous for little tricks like this! A klutz!

Occasional Contributor
On 2/1/2014 annabellethecat said:

Here's my story about something similar. OK, so I have had a large electric burner that holds liquid dark pink candle (sented) for a very long time.

It just stays on. No problem.

Well when my daughter and her family were stopping by on their way to other in-laws for Christmas I decided to run the vacuum one more time!

I plugged in the vacuum (and I promise my brain said, "Bad idea") but I didn't listen. I plugged the vacuum into the extension cord that also had the electric burner on it.......I tugged just to get a little farther and........the entire burner of liquid candle wax went all over the rug (light beige) and everything around it!

I am still trying to get it up! What a mess! I think I am going to have to replace the entire rug because it is so thick on it. It doesn't help that the wax was dark pink!

That's my story about melted wax! I am famous for little tricks like this! A klutz!

Yikes! So sorry for your mess. Hope you can get it out and not have to replace the entire rug. What a bummer!

Honored Contributor

Thanks! I'm famous for my messes.

Valued Contributor

Are you sure your monthly debit didn't increase. Most debits stay the same for a yr. and then they are raised or lowered according to how much you used in the last year. Check on your statement if there is a place that shows you an adjustment.

Occasional Contributor
On 2/1/2014 sarpy said:

Are you sure your monthly debit didn't increase. Most debits stay the same for a yr. and then they are raised or lowered according to how much you used in the last year. Check on your statement if there is a place that shows you an adjustment.

Yes, you are correct. My monthy "budget" payment did increase and that is what lead me to check my balances over the last couple of months. Like I posted earlier, it's a $20-25 increase in the actual bill for the past couple of months. Since it's not summer and the a/c is not running, I found that monthly increase somewhat excessive and was wondering if it could be the tart burner, as that is the only thing that I have been doing differently. My budget does adjust quarterly, usually going up in the summer and DOWN in the winter. Thanks for all your help! I may cut down on using the electric burner for February and see if there is any change. I am curious now more than anything - LOL. Thanks again! Have a great night.

Super Contributor

The bulb in my tart burners is a 15 watt. This would amount to an increase of pennies per month.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/1/2014 QVCCher said:

Yes, totally. I am on the "budget" plan and have my utilities debited, so don't normally pay much attention to my bill, but when I was going over my statements this afternoon, I noticed an increase in my electric budget, so checked the last few months for my actual account balances. I mean, it's no fortune and I won't stop using my burners, but it did increase by probably $20-$25 per month and that is the only thing I can think of that would have raised the price. We heat with natural gas, so that can't be the reason and the a/c is certainly not on. Like I said, it's not enough to stop me from using the burners, but I was just wondering if anybody else noticed an issue. Possibily, it's the burner itself (Yankee brand). TIA

If it's been colder your furnace can be the reason. Even though you heat with natural gas, you still need electricity to run the furnace.