Honored Contributor

What has happened to Yankee Candle fragrance?

I don't usually read or post in the candle forum, but noticed the posts about the Yankee sales, and while I have tons of older Yankee, I thought I'd try some new "flavors" because of the great deals.

I hadn't bought a Yankee in at least 5 years, as I had a huge stock that I had pretty much stopped using as I was getting into flameless candles, and I adopted a family of abandoned kitties that get into everything they aren't' supposed to (like a burning candle).

Well, I ordered some, and when they came, all but one smelled nice, and I proceeded to burn. The strong scent and throw I am used to from Yankee is just not there. I remember (and still have) candles that scents were very strong and lasted clear to the bottom of the jar.

I've been out of the loop for awhile with these, so can anyone fill me in on what has happened? Is this another fine American made product that is no longer what is once was? Have they changed the ingredients to save money, or has there been new regulations about what they can now put in candles?

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Honored Contributor

Re: What has happened to Yankee Candle fragrance?

I bought one as a last minute in a pinch for a Christmas gift this year for the first time in about five years myself. Just not a fan anymore like I used to be. I prefer the safety of warmers by Scentsy.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

YC's were not very good for a several years. There is a pour date on the bottom of the candle. They are supposed to be getting better because they are inundated with complaints on their facebook page. If you are burning the creamier smooth wax the scent (oil) burns hotter and burns off the scent quickly so I never buy that wax.

Their customer service is awesome and you can return or exchange any candle for any reason and at time, burned or not. The company was bought by a cooperation I think about a year ago. But you are right, they are not the same. I have many old ones too and not only are they super highly scented the burn lasts forever. Sometimes it takes the whole day to get a pool and my candles hardly budge. Yankee doesn't want a candle to last too long now, unfortunately.

Occasional Contributor

Bath and Body works candles (Slatkin) have the same problems. Years ago very strong throw and lately not so much. I buy a lot of candles and am so disappointed in both Yankee and bath and body. Looking for strong scents!

Valued Contributor

I think more recent health and safety regulations plus the lack of availability/price of certain oils have forced them to make sacrifices in the formulas.

Super Contributor

I bought some for the first time with the recent, and I returned most. I wasn't impressed, very little smell if anything.

Honored Contributor

I bought tons of Yankee candles over the course of Oct, Nov and December (buy one get one free).

I was going through them like crazy. Then just as suddenly, I stopped lighting them. The smells were beginning to bother me.

Oh! This is different (kind of) but I need to ask you ladies I think you might have a good idea. OK, so my daughter was visiting from Florida. I decided to run the vacuum quickly and forever I've always had an electric thing of scented hot wax plugged in.

Well, (I even hesitated before I did this) but I didn't listen to my inner brain and plugged in the vacuum to the extension cord (see where this is going?). I yanked on the vacuum cord and the entire (very large) electric thing of scented (did I mention it was also red) hot, hot wax went all over my carpeting and everything that was laying near it.

I have been trying to scrape it off of the rug day by day. It is never going to come up! I know about using a hot iron over a paper towel, but this is too thick to do that to now.

Any other ideas other than replace the carpet? I think that's what I am going to have to do.

Regular Contributor

Annabellethecat, I knocked a warmer over in our office and used Goo be Gone, or Undo. I can't remember which is was. It took a while but it worked.

Super Contributor

I must have purchased a dozen YC Christmas Eve. I use them in electric candle warmers. I swear out of a dozen, maybe three actually gave off a scent of any kind! There's a reason they have a buy 2 get 2!
Super Contributor

My How To Clean Everything book has a few suggestions,harden was with ice and scrape off what you can, then use hairdryer to soften wax and start pulling off what you can or blot with a citrus solvent or keep ironing like you did over brown paper. If all else fails, she says call professional carpet cleaners. As far as candles, it seems every time I find a nice soy, very fragrant candles, they end up going downhill or something. I loved the For Every Body candles for a few years, but the last batch I ordered wouldn't even stay lit no matter what I did. I received a Salt City candle for Christmas and that is very fragrant. I haven't tried those candles that have little diamonds in them, something like that, but they get good reviews and my friend says they're very fragrant. I read on an old thread that the candles at that Tractor Supply store are good. Lately, I've just been buying $5 candles because I hate to take a chance anymore on expensive ones.