Fall Fashion Clearance
126 Members and 16547 Guests Online

Candles

I am so done with battery operated candles

Started 1354448969.953 in Candles | Last reply 1371406327.17 by esmerelda

I love the concept - the look of real candles without the fear of fire - but the amount of money that I have spent keeping them lit is ridiculous, especially the ones that take 6 AAA batteries. I will throw them out at the end of the season and consider a lesson learned.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
Witchy Wom­an1354450735.1072659 PostsRegistered 12/17/2005

I hear you...I've been tempted to try some of the new Luminara candles, but...just don't want to do batteries anymore.

The candles I do have are located in the transom area of my French doors....so I could never put real candles there....and they look lovely when they come on at night...however, I've been reluctant to purchase more. By the time I replace the C batteries in all my candles, it's quite an investment!

Although I have too many REAL candles, I've been using reed diffusers to scent my home....safer, long lasting and no batteries. I still love candles, but will only burn them when I can be in the room.

sunnybrook1354450746.2732321 PostsRegistered 8/25/2005

I bought a battery recharger from HSN to help me with this issue of batteries. And, that doesn't even help enough. I liked the concept of no flame because we have cats, very CURIOUS cats. But, I'll keep the flameless candles we have and use them now and again. But, I, too, am disappointed with the whole concept.

lizzyboo1354451192.37738 PostsRegistered 12/2/2012

Can't agree with you more.. love the concept, but such a waste of hard earned $$$. You're either throwing the items away, which I have done, threw 4 candles away, about 35.00 each. Tried the battery charger method, that doesn't work either. Did try another candle, thought I might fare out better----------------wrong. Sent that one back, another waste of $$$ in S & H. Just received a gift with a battery operated candle, and I just cringed, the candle worked for 2 hrs......... too disappointed to tell my friend it doens't work, so another waste of $$$.

whitelinen1354453264.513211 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009ICU RN

I use almost all of mine during the holiday season when I bring out the Christmas candle holders.

When we lost power a few years ago, for two days, they really came in handy!!

Otherwise I jus keep a few in use at night, just love the ambiance.

I have no regrets in purchasing them, and if a special one I like is offered I wouldn't hesitate.

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.

(Roald Dahl)

bonnielu1354453443.415529 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I got my candles at Costco and they got me through power outage and also the visit of my grandkids {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} They are safe and give the light I need when I need it. I figure lots of things out there don't last forever and are also expensive. In my case the pluses outweigh the negatives of having to change batteries. (I have not had to change batteries yet) Mine are on for 5 hours and off for the rest.... timer. And I have one set with a remote control device.

SAgal1354453605.2132072 PostsRegistered 8/25/2007
I love battery operated and timer candles! It was an investment as I bought many light strands this year - i'll let you know how it goes and how long they last! Aren't the newer ones supposed to last much longer than the lights they came out with at first?

Nature is the art of God.

Frannie1354453837.9171989 PostsRegistered 9/27/2006

Interesting. I used a lot of them in Halloween decorations and I loved them.

flickerbulb1354454252.7071483 PostsRegistered 1/2/2005

Two words of advice: Dollar Tree! I pick up all of my batteries there and they keep my numerous flameless candles going strong without breaking the bank.

The only one I use Duracell batteries for is my Luminara candle. All of the CI candles do just fine with the Sunbeam brand from DT. I have LOTS of Christmas FC and they are all locked and loaded with DT batteries. If I had to use the name brand batteries, I would go broke!

simplylogan1354455999.5834 PostsRegistered 7/10/2010

If you buy CI candles they work great. I have had very few of them I have had problems with. Really only one candle, and they repaced it. However, HomeReflections candles are awful. They have some very pretty or wonderful decor designs, but their candles are worthless. They eat batteries. I have some CI candles in my daughters room that come on every night with the timer. I might change the batteries twice a year (really don't even think that much). The HomeReflections candle I have is constantly going out. I finally threw it in a drawer and replaced it with a CI candle. I figured if I was desperate in a power outage it may come in handy, otherwise, I would have thrown it away. The other bad thing with HomeReflections is often they make their candles a permanent part of the item most of the time. If they would make them removable I would buy more of their products because I like their designs. Yes, I would throw their candle out and replace with CI. Unfortunately that just makes the over all cost more. I don't really understand why HomeReflections can not simply make a better candle.

lovestotea­ch1354456452.13314371 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Most of my CI's are from when they were first introduced at the Q... some ladies have said here on the boards that the ones that take the larger batteries last longer. I think all of mine take "C" or "D" batteries and they last a very long time. Need changing about 1 or 2 per year. HTH

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

curlywhite­dog1354457037.076365 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ

I love my battery operated candles, I have several throughout the house set for the 5-6 hour option. Batteries are not an issue for me, I have no idea how often I might change them but it's not excessive and whatever it is, I don't mind.

I get that you might not want to replace batteries as often as you do but why would you throw the candles away, they're pretty enough to leave out even when they're not lit which mine aren't during the day.

Maria

Last edited on 12/2/2012

Last edited on 12/2/2012

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

MathisFan1354457798.341060 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

So far, I love mine. I've had the Luminara candles (w/timers) in my windows since September. Haven't had to change the batteries yet.

I also have the BL lights grapevine pumpkins, w/timer feature, which I've used the past 2 years. They take C batteries, I think. Just put them away and I can't even remember. No problem with them either.

I don't have any candles that take AAs so I can't offer any perspective on those.

I would love to order more of the Luminara candles but as of now it's not in the budget.

aprilskies1354458013.8834687 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005

I hear what you are saying. The batteries start being a pain. I wouldnt throw them out. They are pretty as decorations for the holidays or just in general. I also think they are great as night lights for guests and come in handy when the power goes out. So, they can be useful. Just repurpose them if you havent tossed them already.

darlight1354458101.0472323 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007NY

They have to be the timed ones and they last and last and come on on time.. I love them...

squeezebox1354458143.6135531 PostsRegistered 2/17/2008Land of oz!

Wow... I LOVE mine! I've never gotten into them before but so some reason I bought 3 here on the Q under the "as is" and LOVE them! In fact, I bought 2 more of "more expensive looking" one Xmas for the directors I support. I know they are going to love them too! They are gorgeous and you can fill the bottom of the hurricane with whatever you want. I have 3 different battery operated units and they all come on at 5pm every evening. Love em!

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Troop_Angel1354458168.9535414 PostsRegistered 4/22/2006

I love them too, but I find the battery issue is a problem. Sofia, ITA.

corita1354488557.5532204 PostsRegistered 8/20/2012

I, too, am rethinking the flameless candles adventure. It is getting expensive to replace batteries, but I will try the Dollar Store for my next buy. I bought quite a few when CI first came to the Q. Those did not have timers -- kind of pain to go around and light, and then go around and turn off. I have replaced them with candles with timers. Kept some of the old for when the electricity goes out during a storm. I have gifted many CI candles and they were always appreciated. I particularly like that most CI candles light the entire candle, not just the top part.

I have lots of CI candles around the house and some Bethlehem's too. I have one Luminara and that will be it, as those really run through batteries. I really like having the candles come on and off at given times. I especially like it when I get home late at night! I tell myself that I will not buy anymore, but then I see a new design and think it will look great in my house!! I recently bought three of H197828 for Christmas gifts - very nice!! I had not seen them presented!!

Last edited on 12/2/2012

Last edited on 12/2/2012

DorothyToo1354489143.121450 PostsRegistered 8/9/2012East of Big D, TX

I LOVE my flameless candles! Almost all of them are from when they were 1st introduced, w/o timers. Some of them I leave on all the time & some I just turn on once in a while but I wouldn't stop using them. I use a recharger, too, & it helps a little bit. Anyway, ladies, I figure the older I get, the better lighting I need, even if it is just me & my kitty-girl (she's older & figures that, too - HA!) {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Edited 12/06 to clarify - The recharger I mentioned above is actually one of those rezappers the Q used to sell (different from the one they have now). Mine "rezaps" juice into used up regular batteries; it adds a day or two anyway so it helps "a little".

Last edited on 12/6/2012

Last edited on 12/6/2012

DToo & Ms Scoots -^..^-

Will Rogers said, "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went." - My ideal Heaven will also include cats, other pets & all those animals who wanted to be pets, too.

goldenretr­iever1354490287.6735718 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006At the lake...in the water...chasing birds...

I also bought 2 sets from Costco. They came with ALL the batteries {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}, & the battery life is tremendous. I tested this when I first bought them, & whatever the life was supposed to be, it exceeded it. They only take 2 AA's, so they are well worth it. Plus, Costco has AA batteries on sale A LOT!

Last edited on 12/2/2012

Last edited on 12/2/2012

Lakeside, with a KONG toy in my mouth.

willdob31354490760.20310285 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010

I don't have any battery operated candles but definitely use rechargeable batteries - for these and everything that uses batteries! You'll save a lot of money. Recharging is much less of a pain than constantly buying new ones.

GinaV241354491564.5934438 PostsRegistered 7/23/2010

I love my flameless candles and I, too, use rechargeable batteries as often as possible. Batteries are expensive I agree but the rechargeables help and I only buy candles that have a decent battery life - which means mostly CI brand.

During the power outages in the recent hurricane as well as during summer thunderstorms, the battery candles make a difference and we're not sitting in the dark or wandering around with a flashlight. I put them in different rooms to help guide everyone around the house. It worked great.

I tend to use mine mostly during the holidays, the rest of the time, they are on reserve and I only turn them on once in a while or when I have company.

Page Turner1354492280.347927 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007"More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"

What are "CI" candles?

BonnieBelle1354493348.5319257 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

That's why I only buy the ones that come in decorative containers, not just an ugly wax candle sitting there when the batteries are dead which is most of the time. I got rid of a lot of mine, guess I jumped on the bandwagon and then got sick of them and replacing batteries, so at least the decorative ones I have look like a decoration not a candle because I only put batteries in them once a year when we turn the clocks back and then when the batteries die, that's it for a year. I can't believe that people call in and say they have tons of these candles all over the house. And I would never spend the crazy amount of money they want for one Luminara candle.

Sunshine K­ate1354493545.59312038 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky
On 12/2/2012 Page Turner said:

What are "CI" candles?

Candle Impressions, sold on QVC.

Respectfully ~
Kate

HopeReigns1354512690.2873517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007
On 12/2/2012 willdob3 said:

I don't have any battery operated candles but definitely use rechargeable batteries - for these and everything that uses batteries! You'll save a lot of money. Recharging is much less of a pain than constantly buying new ones.

I too have been using the rechargeable batteries but find they leak white stuff all over the candle bases. Apparently after recharging once the batteries must just start leaking. They have ruined several items in which I have used them. Tired of cleaning the white leaky junk out of the recharger and off my candle bases. No more battery operated candles for me.

Hope, >^.^<

"

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next