Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- January 2015

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year!! Hard to believe another year has gone by so quickly. I have to admit I haven't done much reading in the past few months.

I'm going to pick up the book that's been on my nightstand for a few months, Catch Me by Lisa Gardner and finally read it!

Wishing you all a happy and healthy New Year!

Happy reading all! lainey{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Super Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- January 2015

Happy New YEar Lainey. Can't believe 2014 is history already. Wasn't the best year for books in my opinion. Hope there are more that grab my interest in 2015.

Started Everything I never told you by Celeste Ng for my book club. Not the most uplifting way to start the year, but I think it will be thought provoking.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, lainey, for starting us once again in the new year. I can't believe it's 2015.

I just finished The Handsome Man's Deluxe Cafe by Alexander McCall Smith, a perfect book to read for the holidays. I thought it was one of the better books in the series.

I'm about 100 pages into A Tale For The Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. I'm not always a fan of books that alternate points of view, but the writing in this book is exceptional. I'm intrigued to see where it goes.

Respected Contributor

Happy 2015 and thanks Lainey for always being here to start this off.

Still reading Danielle Steel's Pegasus. A different type of book for her -- re men and horses and circuses.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow! 2015!!! Thanks for starting us off LAINEY!

Esteemed Contributor

Carrying this over from Dec Reading Thread in case some missed it with all the holiday activities. Thanks to Lolakimono for the recommendation... LM

Lola, THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN looks good. Here is the storyline...

A debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives. Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost. And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good? A compulsively readable, emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller that draws comparisons to Gone Girl, The Silent Wife, or Before I Go to Sleep, this is an electrifying debut embraced by readers across markets and categories.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone and a Happy and Healthy 2015!

I'm still reading Five Days Left, by Julie Lawson Timmer. It's good and I'm enjoying it, but I've got so many other books that are calling me, I'm finding it hard to concentrate. Isn't that crazy?

I read 60 books in 2014. My goal was 75, so I didn't really come close. I lowered my goal this year to 60, and we'll see what happens. I may just forget the goal and just read to enjoy. Goals were never my thing anyway!

The Girl on the Train sounds really good. I just reserved it from my library in Kindle form.

Wishing you all to read many wonderful books in 2015.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I finished MR MERCEDES and enjoyed it.

Next up is MY SISTER'S GRAVE and BIG LITTLE LIES.

I also have GIRL ON THE TRAIN on my library wait list along with THE STORIED LIFE OF AJ FICKRY and I AM PILGRIM.

Super Contributor

Sadly, I never got through all of the Harry Potter books when they came out because I was in graduate school while also working fulltime......so......have started from their beginning and am now on #3! They are a nice break for me into a different world after seeing clients all day!

Honored Contributor

Former piano prodigy Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone learning about her past and to make the boy who took everything from her—her identity, her spirit, her will to live—pay.

Josh Bennett’s story is no secret: every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. Now all he wants is be left alone and people allow it because when your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, the mysterious new girl at school who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But the more he gets to know her, the more of an enigma she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.