Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- December 2014

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one!)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here it is, the last month of the year. I can't believe it.

I hate to admit it, but the book I wanted to start reading last month, Catch Me by Lisa Gardner, I never even opened it the entire month! Just too much going on. Hopefully once the holidays are over I'll find time for me!

Happy reading all! lainey {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- December 2014

Now reading, The Seventh Woman-a Paris homicide novel. Mystery of the year award, etc. Scary, grizzly murders. Takes place in Paris. I'm still reading. I like how fast it goes, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh goodJudaline. Need a book like that. Will check it out! LM
Esteemed Contributor

The Stranger by Chuck Todd. More fair than I thought.

Tina Fey's Bossy Pants. The second is the fun part.

Now I am starting Mary Higgins Clark's Cinderella.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Jud, so good to see you! :hugs: PLEASE stop by the other thread. Bring the other Lucys too if you can.

I am reading Julian Fellowes's "Snobs." He's the man that created and writes Downton Abbey. He wrote it before Downton Abbey. It focuses on the upstairs side, about a woman who marries for a title and money. It's a quick read and a lot of fun.

Honored Contributor

Finished today a debut novel (new release) by Mary Kubica, The Good Girl. I so enjoyed this first book and cannot wait until she writes more.

I have now started The Ship of Brides, JoJo Moyes. Only a about 100 pages read so far but it is really good.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Just finished reading The Vacationers by Emma Straub. This book is about a group of 7 people (mostly family) that go on a two week vacation to Mallorca, Spain. Really, it's about relationships as everyone has a problem in theirs. Despite it getting a nod from the NYT Book Review, the book was just okay. I was hoping for more of life in Mallorca (there wasn't much described) and less about self-absorbed people (essentially the crux of the book). I'm glad I checked it out from the library and didn't spend money on it. It wasn't a total waste of time, but it wasn't the best book I've read all year, either. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Super Contributor

I have read both THE GOOD GIRL and THE VACATIONERS and enjoyed them both very much. I just finished THE LAST CHILD - an excellent mystery about a missing child - recommended to me by RINGER - thanks!,,,,
Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Lilysmom said: Oh goodJudaline. Need a book like that. Will check it out! LM

Let me know. We may both be reading at the same time! Not for sissies or scaredy cats, hahaha.

Hi lori. I kind of remember you saying you had read a lot of gruesome murder mysteries but the Silkworm topped them all for horrible deaths. This book comes close! I don't know why I like serial killer books, and certainly not all of them, but this one is good so far. And the Paris backdrop doesn't hurt at all Smiley Happy Good to see you. Have you quit watching DAYS or just taking a hiatus? Not watching (felt I didn't know anybody anymore) has freed up my time a great deal. I don't miss it. My social calendar is just full now that I'm free. (you know I'm kidding.) Stay in touch and stay away from the paint person Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Our book club just started The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration ~ by Pulitzer prize winner Isabel Wilkerson. It tells the story of black migration from the South during the 20th Century.

I'm also reading one of my favorite author's latest: W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton.

And I just purchased two Cyber Monday deals: John Sandford's Deadline; and Gray Mountain by John Grisham.