Frequent Contributor

This is my first post with the book club but I have been reading your letters for some time. I am a Friend of my local library and often help with sales of donated books. As most of them are a few years old, I am not usually reading the latest books as I buy quite a lot at the sales. My bookshelves are overloaded, but I always try to bring home a few new (to me) authors. I have just finished ONE TRUE THING by Anna Quindlen and am now reading her latest, STILL LIFE WITH BREAD CRUMBS. Next on my list are a couple by Anita Shreve. Mysteries by Ruth Rendell are another favorite. I do have a Kindle but still enjoy turning pages.

Honored Contributor

Re: Enjoying Different Authors

Santa has informed that I will be getting a Kindle too, but somehow I think I'll always be turning pages. We'll see how it goes.

Trusted Contributor

Mcbet, thank you for supporting your local library. I don't know if you live in an area that's big or small, but all local library's are suffering from budget cuts and I'm sure yours appreciates your help by way of the Friends organization. The library is a great place to discover new authors. See if they carry "The Book Page". It's a monthly periodical, often free to patrons, that will showcase new books & authors (you can also check them out on-line). Also good to check out online is GoodReads, and, though all the names escape me, there are many other book blogs you can sign up for that will give you a heads-up on new releases. I know that it's easy to get stuck in a rut & read the same authors over and over (can you tell that I work in a library?), so I try to help out my reading patrons with new ideas once I know their tastes. Good luck to you in finding new authors and enjoy your reading time.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting. I plan to check out some of the Anna Quindlen books. I've heard her name mentioned so many times over the years, but have never read any of her books.

My book club is about to decide what books we'll read this next year, and most members prefer older books that are either in paperback, or easily available at the library.

Super Contributor

The only anna Quinlen book I've read is "Still Life with Breadcrumbs" and thought it was terrible. A miss-mash of ridiculous characters and stories that seemed like a collection of thoughts she'd had for magazine articles and then just strung together in a book. I have heard some of her other books were OK, but there are too many books out there for me to read so based on this one, I'm not going to read any more of hers.

One author I have recently found (like you through second hand library sales) is Kate Atkinson. I loved her Behind the Scenes at the Museum and am now reading Life after Life. Her books are unlike any I have read before. Both take place in Britain and go back and forth in time (early 20th C ). She has an amazing way with words and can fluctuate between humor and pathos in an instant. amazing.

Respected Contributor

On 11/23/2014 AuntG said:

Santa has informed that I will be getting a Kindle too, but somehow I think I'll always be turning pages. We'll see how it goes.

You might be surprised. After I got my Kindle Paperwhite, I don't want to read real books. I have a really good one that just lays there begging to be read. LOL

Respected Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Linders Back said:

The only anna Quinlen book I've read is "Still Life with Breadcrumbs" and thought it was terrible. A miss-mash of ridiculous characters and stories that seemed like a collection of thoughts she'd had for magazine articles and then just strung together in a book. I have heard some of her other books were OK, but there are too many books out there for me to read so based on this one, I'm not going to read any more of hers.

One author I have recently found (like you through second hand library sales) is Kate Atkinson. I loved her Behind the Scenes at the Museum and am now reading Life after Life. Her books are unlike any I have read before. Both take place in Britain and go back and forth in time (early 20th C ). She has an amazing way with words and can fluctuate between humor and pathos in an instant. amazing.

Linders Back, I agree with you about Still Life With Bread Crumbs. Very dumb book, in my opinion, but many people liked it.

I also agree about Kate Atkinson. I loved Life After Life, but many people didn't like it. You never can tell what will appeal to someone. I haven't read Behind The Scenes At The Museum, but I have read her entire Jackson Brodie series and liked all of them (#2 was my favorite). They start with Case Histories, then One Good Turn, then When Will There Be Good News, and finally Started Early, Took My Dog. I wish she'd write another one.

Super Contributor

On 11/24/2014 smokymtngal said:
On 11/23/2014 Linders Back said:

Linders Back, I agree with you about Still Life With Bread Crumbs. Very dumb book, in my opinion, but many people liked it.

I also agree about Kate Atkinson. I loved Life After Life, but many people didn't like it. You never can tell what will appeal to someone. I haven't read Behind The Scenes At The Museum, but I have read her entire Jackson Brodie series and liked all of them (#2 was my favorite). They start with Case Histories, then One Good Turn, then When Will There Be Good News, and finally Started Early, Took My Dog. I wish she'd write another one.

smokeymtgal: Life After Life reads a lot like Behind the scenes at the Museum (which is narrated by a girl from the moment she is conceived - novel plot twist - through adulthood): both jump back and forth through time BTSATM through flashbacks to turn of the Century from the 1950's) and have many quirky interesting British characters but always with a serious undertone to the story. I am enjoying LAL so far but wonder how on earth she will end it. Very fast read.

I'll have to look for her other books. Thanks for the recommendation.

Respected Contributor

Every Quinlen book except the bread crumbs one was pretty good, IMO.

Kate Atkinson is another story: for one of my book club meetings, members read different Atkinson books and offered opinions. The upshot of the meeting was that no one was interested in reading any more books by Atkinson.

Valued Contributor

Hi and Welcome to the Boards!

I've asked here about everyone's feelings about the Kindle. I still do NOT have one, although I would love one. AND I still love turning a page. I get books from the library, Amazon, B&N, and a nearby used book store occasionally. Anywhere I might find what I'm looking for! However, my library is on the small side and there are often dozens of holds on the most popular books. Which can be a drag if I don't want to buy it.