Esteemed Contributor

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask...

I used to enjoy reading but I have to admit that over the last decade or more I was always so exhausted from work that I just couldn't concentrate long enough to finish more than a chapter or two of any book. now that I'm retired I would like to start reading again but I don't know where to begin. I used to like mystery/thrillers and history based novels. I think the last book I actually finished was something by John Grisham, but it's been so long I can't remember the name of it. any suggestions?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm almost too embarrassed to ask...

I'd recommend hitting a local library/used book store and grabbing a few books that catch your interest. If you like them look for more, if you don't, move on to something else. Grisham is still writing and has several books that have come out since you last read one.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Here are a few recommendations of historical fiction that I have enjoyed:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

The Other Bolyen Girl by Philippa Gregory

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus

The Help by Katheryn Stockett

I have also enjoyed many books by Sandra Dallas including The Diary of Mattie Spenser, The Persian Pickle Club, and The Chili Queen.

One of my favorite mysteries is Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Esteemed Contributor

thank you gardenman and Vamp. great suggestions.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

Mocha, I just retired too! And I know exactly what you mean about being too exhausted to concentrate after a long day at work. Now I'm enjoying reading so much. Right now I'm reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I'ts a good read, she's a fantastic writer. If you like historical fiction I think you'll like this. I usually don't care for fiction but this is kind of semi-fiction. A librarian recommended it to me{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

OMG ....... You must get the Janet Evanovich series of the Stephanie Plum, bounty hunter ...... there are currently 21 in the series.

You could order the paperbacks One and Two on Ebay slightly used for next to nothing.

They are written with a flourish of humor and can be read in a couple days. I've read all of them at least twice!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

Keep watching the suggestions in this area of books. I've from time to time, squeezed in a book or two. Before my father passed he and I spoke of one book in here and he remembered the man in the book. My jaw totally dropped when he told me some stuff I was reading in the book. I'm glad we had something he could tell me about. So, I suggest you do like I do and these ladies fill you in on what they've read and suggest. Good luck it's a good section.

Respected Contributor

Check out the monthly ""What Are You Reading"" thread that gets posted in the books section each month. Lots of good ideas on there!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Esteemed Contributor

Mochahoney, try Stephen King's 11/22/63 which is a story about President Kemnedy's assassination. It is not at all like King's horror writing. It is very good reading. I am sure you will enjoy it...check out book reviews on Goodreads.com. One of our reading buddies put me on to that site and it is fantastic. Lainey's monthly 'What are You Reading November 2014, for example, is one to watch. Love it! Welcome back to reading. I am such a book hound!!! LM

Honored Contributor

On 11/15/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

OMG ....... You must get the Janet Evanovich series of the Stephanie Plum, bounty hunter ...... there are currently 21 in the series.

You could order the paperbacks One and Two on Ebay slightly used for next to nothing.

They are written with a flourish of humor and can be read in a couple days. I've read all of them at least twice!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

ITA, I was recommended this series by a sweet poster who is no longer on the forums, but a new one comes out almost once a year, it has just about everything in it, love, mystery, and humor!

I also enjoy Mary Higgins Clark's books.