Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- November 2014

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you believe it's November??? This year went by too fast!

Right now I'm starting Catch Me by Lisa Gardner. I hope I can find some time to read - seems like I haven't been able to do much of it lately.

Happy reading all! lainey {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- November 2014

Happy November and Happy Reading Lainey and all.

I just finished Rebecca Rotert's Last Night At The Blue Angel. Excellent book. See plot below which doesn't do it justice so read it.

Set against the backdrop of the early 1960s Chicago jazz scene, a highly ambitious and stylish literary debut that combines the atmosphere and period detail of Amor Towles’ Rules of Civility with the emotional depth and drama of The Memory Keeper's Daughter, about a talented but troubled singer, her precocious ten-year-old daughter, and their heartbreaking relationship.

It is the early 1960s, and Chicago is a city of uneasy tensions—segregation, sexual experimentation, free love, the Cold War—but it is also home to one of the country’s most vibrant jazz scenes. Naomi Hill, a singer at the Blue Angel club, has been poised on the brink of stardom for nearly ten years. Finally, her big break arrives—the cover of Look magazine. But success has come at enormous personal cost. Beautiful and magnetic, Naomi is a fiercely ambitious yet extremely self-destructive woman whose charms are irresistible and dangerous for those around her. No one knows this better than Sophia, her clever ten-year-old daughter.

For Sophia, Naomi is the center of her universe. As the only child of a single, unconventional mother, growing up in an adult world, Sophia has seen things beyond her years and her understanding. Unsettled by her uncertain home life, she harbors the terrible fear that the world could end at any moment, and compulsively keeps a running list of practical objects she will need to reinvent once nuclear catastrophe strikes. Her one constant is Jim, the photographer who is her best friend, surrogate father, and protector. But Jim is deeply in love with Naomi—a situation that adds to Sophia’s anxiety.

Told from the alternating perspectives of Sophia and Naomi, their powerful and wrenching story unfolds in layers, revealing Sophia’s struggle for her mother’s love with Naomi’s desperate journey to stardom and the colorful cadre of close friends who shaped her along the way.

Sophisticated yet poignant, Last Night at the Blue Angel is an unforgettable tale about what happens when our passion for the life we want is at sharp odds with the life we have. It is a story ripe with surprising twists and revelations, and an ending that is bound to break your heart.

Going to read Nora Robert's The Collector next. Big, big book! Let's see how long it takes me to read this one. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

One Nation by Ben Carson, MD.

Respected Contributor

I really enjoyed

Trusted Contributor

I recently finished Jodi Picoult's new novel, "LEAVING TIME", and I understand completely why Ringer started a thread complaining about it. I thought 95% of the book was great and then the ending was terrible. Very frustrating. Next was Alexander McCall Smith's latest entry in the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, "The Handsome Man's De Luxe Cafe.". While these books are always entertaining, I wouldn't say this particular one was one of his best. Just got back from the library with three new books: "SHOPAHOLIC TO THE STARS" by Sophie Kinsella, "PEGASUS" by Danielle Steel, and "GOSSAMER GHOST" by Laura Childs (Scrapbooking cozy mystery series). I'd better get busy reading!
Honored Contributor

I just finished.....

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

I'm quickly posting from my iPad, so don't know how to underline,capitalize, etc. I'm reading "A Prayer For Owen Meany" by John Irving...and am only half way through this very long book and have to finish it for my book club on Tuesday. I love the book! But I wish it was shorter!
Contributor

First I was glad someone else agreed with me on Leaving Time and did not understand the ending, but as I said before Jodi Picoult books are now a thing of the past with me!! Gave her books many chances (last 3) and this was the last straw in reading Leaving Time (best part of the book was new insight on elephants!)

I am so enjoying reading Gray Mountain- John Grisham and because it is primarily about a woman who is the lead character for a change, makes it that much more enjoyable. Will give you my final verdict when I finish reading it but it will be a while as the holidays are upon us and because I am enjoying this book, do not want to rush through it but rather savor it!!

aka-RINGER{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you Lainey for your monthly discussion. You never fail and we're all so grateful!

Referring to a post in the October thread (where I accidentally posted yesterday), Once We Were Brothers was one of my favorite books, but you're right that even the most popular book is not going to be loved by everyone.

I finished Red Rain by R.L. Stine and it was quite the page-turner. I had no idea it would end the way it did, which was another reason I enjoyed it.

Now I'm finally reading Gray Mountain by John Grisham. It's an easy read that's got me hooked. I look forward to finishing it this weekend.

I'm so excited; I'm getting a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday, a little belatedly. I now have the Kindle Keyboard which is okay but I find it harder to see the screen. I look forward to the backlit screen. I can't wait to get it!

Have a happy November weekend everyone, and happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I read Havana Storm by Clive Cussler this week. His books are completely formulaic, but I always enjoy the history lesson that's included.

Now, I'm catching up on the young adult series, Heroes of Olympus, by Rick Riordan. I have books four and five to read.