Respected Contributor

Did I imagine a post about Tana French's new book?

I could have sworn there was a post about The Secret Place that included spoilers.

I didn't read the post because I was only about halfway through the book.

But having finished the book, I'm ready to read the post--only, I can't find it!

There was one, wasn't there??

Respected Contributor

Re: Did I imagine a post about Tana French's new book?

I think there was a question about the end in the regular ""what are you reading"" thread. Maybe they will repost the question here.

Respected Contributor

You're correct--that's where I read it. Maybe it was deleted because it contained spoilers.

Well, I'm ready to read the spoilers, whoever initiated the post!

Valued Contributor

I didn't see the post but thank you for asking about it. I really enjoy her books and didn't realize there was a new one.
Respected Contributor

I didn't read any spoilers. I'm waiting to hear what you think. I posted that it got a lot of bad reviews on audible.

Respected Contributor

What did I think? I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

I taught vocal music for a couple decades, and most of my students were girls. Tana French is so excellent relating the teenage girls' conversations--the snide remarks and whining. It's all so familiar to me!

I loved all the subterfuge--hiding the pink phones a certain guy would give girls who were supposedly special. I enjoyed the depiction of the teachers and of the Secret Place.

I feel French's books are worth buying in hardback. This book, to me, is a particular winner.

Respected Contributor

I thought it was 200 pages too long. Based on insomniac's comments I guess it's that she could relate to these girls and I could not. The setup was sooo slow for me. 250 pages before it went anywhere with the plot.

Super Contributor

On 10/14/2014 smokymtngal said:

I thought it was 200 pages too long. Based on insomniac's comments I guess it's that she could relate to these girls and I could not. The setup was sooo slow for me. 250 pages before it went anywhere with the plot.

I agree smokymtngal - I had to force myself to finish this. Slow, monotonous, boring. Didn't like anything about it. And I have loved her other books!
Respected Contributor

I just have one more comment on this book. The whole supernatural aspect that she introduced for the girls seemed pointless to me and just added to the length. Did I miss something and there really was more to it?

Super Contributor

On 10/15/2014 smokymtngal said:

I just have one more comment on this book. The whole supernatural aspect that she introduced for the girls seemed pointless to me and just added to the length. Did I miss something and there really was more to it?

If there was something to it I missed it also -