Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- October 2014

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not even going to mention that it's October already....but I am looking forward to cooler weather to curl up with a good book!

I just started reading Sinister by Lisa Jackson.

Happy reading all! lainey {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- October 2014

Thanks, LAINEY! After BIG LITTLE LIES, I was ready for a change. I decided to go with a BOOK FORUM recommendation: DEATH OF A GOSSIP by M.C. Beaton. So far, so good! Thanks to the fans of this series for the recommendation!
Super Contributor

I am more than half way through Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (sp?). For some reason I thought it was a love story, but it is nothing like that. However, it is very compelling and I am enjoying it a lot. BTW, he is still in the POW camp where I am reading. Amazing man!

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Pianomama said:

I am more than half way through Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (sp?). For some reason I thought it was a love story, but it is nothing like that. However, it is very compelling and I am enjoying it a lot. BTW, he is still in the POW camp where I am reading. Amazing man!

It is a great book! So glad you are enjoying it!
Super Contributor

I would like to make a comment at this point. I have been following this Book Club for quite some time as I am an inveterate reader. I'm not very choosy, as I will read fiction and non-fiction, whatever suites my interest at the time. As any good reader, I do have my favorite authors in the fiction line, but I don't limit myself to just those ones.

What I have noticed here, that is so different than I expected of a Book Club, is you read a very diverse label of books, which is good, since this reaches such a large portion of the country. But what I sense is unusual is I expected more people to be reading consistently from the best-seller list, nationally and locally. I come here frequently to get opinions of these books and I rarely see much readership of these titles. I do see a broad reading of various books but the titles and authors span any amount of time from the classics to current day titles, including some best-sellers. I guess I thought it would be more heavily dosed with the best-sellers as most long-term readers are basically up-to-date on most past published books.

But it is good to know that you exist and I do enjoy all reviews on all books. I will continue to check in and see what everyone thinks about the books they decide to read.

Perhaps with more time the size of this club will even grow more with readership. I hope people have not converted to other methods of entertainment and enlightenment, as I personally feel that reading is one of our greatest treasures as well as pleasures.

Blessings. Smile

Regular Contributor

As a person who can never read just ONE book at a time, I have finished my pile and started a new one. I loved Festive in Death by JD Robb. I was needing an E&R fix! This installment had a heavy dose of Eve, Roarke, and all of their friends (I love Summerset and Mira best), but the mystery wasn't great. I also read a kindle unlimited selection Not Quite Dating by Catherine Bybee. It was a cute romance, but not one that I am planning on passing on to my reader friends… I also finished Where's You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, which I loved! I amused myself by laughing out loud when reading in public!

Honored Contributor

I just finished "Haunted" by Tamara Thorne, I think the third book I've read by that name and by far the worst. If you like ghosts with active secks lives who are cruelly violent, this is the book for you. :smh:

And coincidentally because the poster above me just finished it, I started "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" by Maria Semple. It's clever and an easy read, I'm flying through it, and while I don't understand all of the technical terms (it takes place in Seattle and some of the main characters are bigwigs at Microsoft) I'm loving it. It's got some things in common with "The Curuious Incident with the Dog in the Night Time" by Mark Haddon, a book I adore, but both books are unique.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 skyblue said: Thanks, LAINEY! After BIG LITTLE LIES, I was ready for a change. I decided to go with a BOOK FORUM recommendation: DEATH OF A GOSSIP by M.C. Beaton. So far, so good! Thanks to the fans of this series for the recommendation!

I read all of the Hamish MacBeth books. Love them. I shouldn't say all. I can go a while without them, but then it hits me, I need HMc. I usually have one as my 'waiting for my hold' book.

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 hopeQ1 said:

I would like to make a comment at this point. I have been following this Book Club for quite some time as I am an inveterate reader. I'm not very choosy, as I will read fiction and non-fiction, whatever suites my interest at the time. As any good reader, I do have my favorite authors in the fiction line, but I don't limit myself to just those ones.

What I have noticed here, that is so different than I expected of a Book Club, is you read a very diverse label of books, which is good, since this reaches such a large portion of the country. But what I sense is unusual is I expected more people to be reading consistently from the best-seller list, nationally and locally. I come here frequently to get opinions of these books and I rarely see much readership of these titles. I do see a broad reading of various books but the titles and authors span any amount of time from the classics to current day titles, including some best-sellers. I guess I thought it would be more heavily dosed with the best-sellers as most long-term readers are basically up-to-date on most past published books.

But it is good to know that you exist and I do enjoy all reviews on all books. I will continue to check in and see what everyone thinks about the books they decide to read.

Perhaps with more time the size of this club will even grow more with readership. I hope people have not converted to other methods of entertainment and enlightenment, as I personally feel that reading is one of our greatest treasures as well as pleasures.

Blessings. Smile

I wonder if you might start a best seller list thread for yourself and others. I find that reading the description of most of the best sellers, they're not to my liking. Just not interested. And then there's the wait list if I do like one, so by the time I would post it would be wayyyyy into next year lol.

Honored Contributor

Jud, I think that's great advice, to start a thread.

Hope, I personally don't read most bestsellers because I buy all of my books brand-new so unless it's something I really, really want, I wait for it to come out in paperback.

The other reason is that most of the bestselling fiction books are about serial killers and other violent things and with the exception of J.K. Rowling, I do not enjoy that at all.

My mother loves her Patterson and Cornwell and Stiart Woods and basically won't read anything without a serial killer in it, LOL. And she will only read hardcovers. They have gotten so expensive, and she reads them so quickly, that I wait a year or so till they're off the bestseller list and I get them for her used on Amazon. Usually the books are a penny, in "very good" condition, and the shipping is $3.99.