Honored Contributor

This is a book club pick for me, and after 105 pages (book is 500+), I want to give up on this book!

Has anyone else read it, and can you give me an incentive to keep reading it? I searched for it on this board, and didn't get any results. On Amazon, a few reviews said it got better after 200+ pages.

When do you give up on a book? 200+ pages is too much time to waste, for me. I have a stack of other books to read.

Honored Contributor

Re: ""Stones From the River""

If you don't like a book or it does not hold your interest by this point give it up. I don't bother after 30 pages at this point in my life.

We don't have to write a book report now

Honored Contributor

So true.

Honored Contributor

Thanks! I more or less made up my mind last night, to stop reading this book.

No...no book report due, but it is a book group selection. So I'll either skip the meeting next time, or go just to listen to the discussion.

Esteemed Contributor

september, I tried reading Stones from the River about three or four times over the years, and finally gave up. Sometimes you have to say "enough already" and pull the bookmark.

I had to do that with The Book Thief as well. I know so many people adored it, but I just couldn't get into it. No book is worth it!

Glad to read you finally let it go.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Okay regarding Stones from the River, I just clicked on Amazon and began reading the reviews. Amazing, almost all five stars, and from the reviews I read, most said that they didn't like it at first because it was kind of boring, but if you stick with it, you are going to just love it. There are 448 reviews with an average of four stars. Only 22 people gave it one star. That's extraordinary.

Believe it or not, I just reserved it from my library's e-books! I'm willing to give it one more chance, as people were positively raving about it.

I'll let you know {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I have this book but haven't read it. I remember when I would wait for Oprah to announce her new book pick and I would have to run out to target to buy it. And the ones I did read weren't always that good.

I would to go to the bookclub even if I didn't read it.

Respected Contributor

I read Stones from the River many years ago. I liked it so much I eventually read three other books by the same author.

Honored Contributor

Interesting to hear the additional thoughts. I went to my book club a few nights ago, where this book was to be discussed, even though I only read about 1/4 of it. It seemed that those who finished the book, weren't overly enthused about it, and really disliked the ending.

I hadn't realized this was part of Oprah's book club. It seemed she did choose a lot of books that were difficult to get through...just my opinion.

Insomniac...you liked it enough to read many of this author's books. How were the others?

Super Contributor

I read it when it was part of Oprahs book club. I thought it was good...