Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- September 2014

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, another month has gone by quickly! Hard to believe it's September.

I'm planning to read No Escape by Mary Burton next.

Happy reading all! lainey {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2014

Just started The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin........

Respected Contributor

One day when both my kindles were charging (a rare occurrence) I picked up The Lace Reader again (Brunonia Barry). I had stopped reading it but it hadn't gone back to library yet and I found myself strangely interested again. Well, I finished it and really liked it. I thought it was very well written and different.

I'm now reading The Bean Trees (Barbara Kingsolver). I have enjoyed her books so much I thought I'd go back and read her earlier works.

Thank you lainey, for starting our book thread again.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you Lainey for keeping this wonderful thread going every month! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I'm now reading The Woman who Wasn't There by Robin Gaby Fisher. It's a true story about a survivor of the World Trade Center who was seriously wounded in the attack and whose fiance was killed there. The sub-title is "The True Story of an Incredible Deception." I'm half way through and I can't imagine how this brave woman, who became a famous leader for survivor's rights, deceived anyone. It's very good and I can't wait to get back to it.

Happy reading everyone!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Please let me echo the thanks to lainey for consistently starting this thread month after month. I have gotten so many great book ideas here. I'm finishing out the summer with lots of light reading-just not in the mood for any heavy subject matter. I read One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. I had read book number five before, I think, but figured I better go back and start at the beginning. Then I read Tippy Toe Murder by Leslie Meier. I guess I am on a light mystery/cozy kick. However, Sunny, I did order Forty Acres. Thanks for the recommendation-I usually like the books that you have read. I'll have to wait until I feel like reading more serious subject matters before I tackle that one though.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Super Contributor

Another {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} for Lainey.

I'm reading New Year Island by Paul Draker for my book club. Available @ reasonable cost for Kindle an dNOOK, but not in "real book" form.

Hunger Games meets Survivor for a "reality TV Show" (or is it?) 10 former Survivors of real life disasters or accidents are thrown together on a remote island to see who the ultimate survivor is. 759 pages but fast read. Graphic violence might bother some people, but if you can handle "Sharknado" type movies, this isn't bad.

I would never have chosen this for myself, but it's good Summer escapism.

Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 Linders Back said:

Another {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} for Lainey.

I'm reading New Year Island by Paul Draker for my book club. Available @ reasonable cost for Kindle an dNOOK, but not in "real book" form.

Hunger Games meets Survivor for a "reality TV Show" (or is it?) 10 former Survivors of real life disasters or accidents are thrown together on a remote island to see who the ultimate survivor is. 759 pages but fast read. Graphic violence might bother some people, but if you can handle "Sharknado" type movies, this isn't bad.

I would never have chosen this for myself, but it's good Summer escapism.

I might try it because it is in the free prime lending library.

Honored Contributor

Just started the new Gamache. I am thrilled that Rosa the duck is back with Ruth. (that Ruth has a mouth on her, doesn't she??) Hope nothing happens to Rosa this time.

Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 Judaline said:

Just started the new Gamache. I am thrilled that Rosa the duck is back with Ruth. (that Ruth has a mouth on her, doesn't she??) Hope nothing happens to Rosa this time.

I'm about half way through the audio book and it is funny to listen to the narrator talk like Ruth. The audio book is still not my favorite venue. I'd rather be reading it.

Esteemed Contributor

Judaline, Smoky I'm 3/4’s through THE LONG WAY HOME and I want to visit Charlevoix! My only complaint is that 300 pages is not long enough! LM