Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- August 2014

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you believe it's August? I can't! I think the summer is going by fast for me because the weather has been pretty nice, not deadly hot and humid like last year.

I'm still reading Calculated In Death by JD Robb. It's always good to get an Eve & Roarke fix.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Happy reading all! lainey{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2014

OMG, August already??? Just finished THE CUCKOO'S CALLING. I enjoyed it and will now move on to THE SILKWORM by the same author...JK Rowling under the penname 'Galbraith'. LM

Super Contributor

Marley and Me. It comes highly recommended by the dog!

Super Contributor

On 8/1/2014 Lilysmom said:

OMG, August already??? Just finished THE CUCKOO'S CALLING. I enjoyed it and will now move on to THE SILKWORM by the same author...JK Rowling under the penname 'Galbraith'. LM

I loved THE CUCKOOS CALLING - surprisingly I didn't care for THE SILKWORM at all. I'll be interested in what you think!
Respected Contributor

Just completed LAST TO KNOW by ELIZABETH ADLER, THE MARRYING OF CHANI KAUFMAN by EVE HARRIS, and BIG LITTLE LIES by LIANE MORIARTY.

Respected Contributor

On 8/2/2014 janey2 said:

Just completed LAST TO KNOW by ELIZABETH ADLER, THE MARRYING OF CHANI KAUFMAN by EVE HARRIS, and BIG LITTLE LIES by LIANE MORIARTY.

Hi Janey2 from another JANEY. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} You read 2 of the 3 books I want to read. I've given up on Elizabeth Adler. Don't enjoy hers mysteries as much as her popular fiction.

Just finished Lisa See's China Girls. Really enjoyed it since I never did finish her last book.

Going to start Ellen Litman's Mannequin Girl.

Valued Contributor

I am reading Orange is the New Black and while a lot is the same as the Netflix Season one and 2, it is different enough that Season 3 can very easily be taken from this book. Interesting book and crude for sure, but considering the setting and some of the inmates, it is very realistic. The bond of some of the women is really something to see and how they learn to cope with things none of us could imagine.

Honored Contributor

Thank you Lainey for leading us into August.

SUSPECT by MICHAEL ROBOTHAM - 1st in the series. I saw his latest book on the best sellers list and decided to start at the very beginning. The main characters, Joseph O'Loughlin - psychologist just diagnosed with Parkinson's and Detective Ruiz tough and hard headed. The doctor went from aiding in a murder investigation to being the main suspect. Can't wait to continue the series.

ALL FALL DOWN by JENNIFER WEINER. A pill popping, wife and mother. Hooked on prescription pain killers and her journey. It is okay. Predictable.

Respected Contributor

Hi Janey Last To Know was the first Adler book I read. It was readable, nothing special. As soon as I finished it I forgot what it was about. The Marrying of Chani Kaufman was good. It gave me something to think about and the characters do not leave you so fast. Big Little Lies was excellent. It started off slow, as do all her books (in my opinion), but builds up and then I could not put it down.

Honored Contributor

I finished The Orchardist. An unusual book with characters that stay with you but they were very droll characters, and the person the whole book focused around I couldn't stand. I don't know why I liked it and couldn't stop reading it.

You are probably thinking, 'what kind of review was that?' It's all I've got.