Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- July 2014

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, hard to believe it's July already...time is going by quickly! I just hope the summer isn't too hot.

Right now I'm just finishing The Perfect Storm by Lori Foster. Not the best book I ever read...it's getting better now that it's almost over.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Happy reading all! lainey {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Frequent Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- July 2014

I've never been the first poster! (it's the little things in life....humor me{#emotions_dlg.lol}). I finished "Handle with Care" by Jodi Piccoult; compelling story line with a set of parents raising a child with brittle bone disease, and whether there was a case for "wrongful birth", but frustrated by the time I finished it(will not elaborate as I don't want to reveal anything for future readers!) I am now starting "Bent Road" by Lori Roy.

Regular Contributor

Right now I"m half way done with Play it Again by Nora Roberts, a set of two love stories. Then I"ll read two other romance stories " Pine County Cowboy by Glynna Kaye and Rescued by the Firefighter by Gail Gaynor Martin. I look forward to reading them. Not sure what other books I'll read this month.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone, and a happy July to all my reading friends.

I am going to repost what I posted late last night on the June reading thread. I would have saved it had I realized it was the end of the month.

Lainey, thank you for taking care of our monthly reading discussion. You do a great job in keeping us together! Okay, here is the repost:

On 6/29/2014 Troop_Angel said:

I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. First, I was surprised by the writing style and lack of punctuation, but I quickly got used to that and really got into the book. I think McCarthy's writing style here was appropriate for the story. It's sad (I used a lot of tissue), and tender, sweet, dark, and harrowing; but love and devotion keep two people -- a father and son -- alive in the midst of total devastation. I'm glad I read it, and I highly recommend it.

Troop_Angel, you know how they say you "can't unring a bell?" Well that's how I felt about The Road. You can't unread what's already been read, and I literally had nightmares from that book. It's so funny how everyone's tastes are so different. That's what makes life interesting.

I've read several books in the last week or two. One I loved was the autobiography Behind the Laughter; Hidden Tears, by Sal Richards. He's been a comedian since the late 50s and early 60's, and I've seen him many times. He lived on Long Island for many years and is a local favorite here. He's had a very difficult life, and he left nothing out in his book. I highly recommend it as an inspirational book to those who have gone through some heartbreaking times in their lives. He also dishes about celebrities like Helen Reddy and Vic Damone.

I read Suspicion by Joseph Finder. It was a good mystery and I always enjoy his books.

I also finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, and I LOVED it! I just found out it's the first book of a trilogy. I had no idea, so there's more of Hodges and Brady to look forward to.

I'm now reading Children of the Jacaranda Tree, a novel by Sahar Delijani. It takes place in Tehran during the post- revolution years of and tells about several families who are somewhat connected. It's very easy reading and I'm really enjoying reading about the lives of everyday people and what they've had to go through.

Happy reading everyone and a happy July!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

On 7/1/2014 sunala said:

Hi everyone, and a happy July to all my reading friends.

I am going to repost what I posted late last night on the June reading thread. I would have saved it had I realized it was the end of the month.

Lainey, thank you for taking care of our monthly reading discussion. You do a great job in keeping us together! Okay, here is the repost:

On 6/29/2014 Troop_Angel said: <p style="line-height: 16px; margin: 0px 0px 12px; word-wrap: break-word; outline: none; letter-spacing: 0px; padding: 0px; zoom: 1;"> I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. First, I was surprised by the writing style and lack of punctuation, but I quickly got used to that and really got into the book. I think McCarthy's writing style here was appropriate for the story. It's sad (I used a lot of tissue), and tender, sweet, dark, and harrowing; but love and devotion keep two people -- a father and son -- alive in the midst of total devastation. I'm glad I read it, and I highly recommend it.

Troop_Angel, you know how they say you "can't unring a bell?" Well that's how I felt about The Road. You can't unread what's already been read, and I literally had nightmares from that book. It's so funny how everyone's tastes are so different. That's what makes life interesting.

I've read several books in the last week or two. One I loved was the autobiography Behind the Laughter; Hidden Tears, by Sal Richards. He's been a comedian since the late 50s and early 60's, and I've seen him many times. He lived on Long Island for many years and is a local favorite here. He's had a very difficult life, and he left nothing out in his book. I highly recommend it as an inspirational book to those who have gone through some heartbreaking times in their lives. He also dishes about celebrities like Helen Reddy and Vic Damone.

I read Suspicion by Joseph Finder. It was a good mystery and I always enjoy his books.

I also finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, and I LOVED it! I just found out it's the first book of a trilogy. I had no idea, so there's more of Hodges and Brady to look forward to.

I'm now reading Children of the Jacaranda Tree, a novel by Sahar Delijani. It takes place in Tehran during the post- revolution years of and tells about several families who are somewhat connected. It's very easy reading and I'm really enjoying reading about the lives of everyday people and what they've had to go through.

Happy reading everyone and a happy July!

Sunny I'm glad you liked Mr. Mercedes I had to take it back to the library before I finished but I put my name on the waitlist again. I also have a copy of The Road somewhere but I'll think I still put that off for now.

And to LoriLori I saw Summer House with Swimming Pool but left it and but keep us updated with Lost Girls because that sound good and our library has it.

I'm going to start The Days of the Dead by Neely Tucker---the body of the teenage daughter of a power judge in D C is discovered in a slum near the Capitol. And I have good intentions to read all the rest of books I brought home.

Trusted Contributor

I read Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton. It's the first book that I've read in the Hamish MacBeth series. I will probably try some more. Then I read Inferno by Dan Brown and I agree with the posters from last month that it was like a travelogue of Italy and too light on the action. I thought perhaps it was just me that was getting bored with all the descriptions of places; so I'm glad to find out that others felt the same. I thought maybe one would enjoy it more if they had seen these places themselves. Anyway, it seems like I remember The Da Vinci Code being much more exciting and that it kept my interest much better. I will give him another go if he comes out with a new one.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

Just finished MR. MERCEDES by Stephen King. I thought the book was good, not great. Perhaps my expectations were too high after all the great reviews. Interesting that it is book 1 of a trilogy. I will read the following books. I LOVED 11/23/63. I didn't think this was of the same caliber but it was still enjoyable. Starting YELLOW CROCUS next. Happy reading and happy July! LM

Honored Contributor

I just finished Tempting Fate by Jane Green. After a slow start it turned into a very good book. My first book by this author - I will be reading others by her.

Esteemed Contributor

Went to the library tonight and picked up six books I had on reserve:

The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman

The Farm by Tom Rob Smith

The Fever by Meg Abbot

All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner

Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok

Then and Always by Dani Atkins

I don't remember what any of these books are about, but I guess I'll figure it out soon enough. I probably won't be able to renew any of them because they're new and are bound to have holds on them, but I'll do my best. I'm excited; I love new books!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

On 7/1/2014 abbalulu said:

I read Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton. It's the first book that I've read in the Hamish MacBeth series. I will probably try some more. Then I read Inferno by Dan Brown and I agree with the posters from last month that it was like a travelogue of Italy and too light on the action. I thought perhaps it was just me that was getting bored with all the descriptions of places; so I'm glad to find out that others felt the same. I thought maybe one would enjoy it more if they had seen these places themselves. Anyway, it seems like I remember The Da Vinci Code being much more exciting and that it kept my interest much better. I will give him another go if he comes out with a new one.

I love the Hamish MacBeth books! I don't know what I'll do when I've read them all.