Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- May 2014

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least this month I didn't forget it was a new month!

I'm still reading No One Left To Tell by Karen Rose. Just haven't had much time to read in the last couple weeks.

Happy reading all! lainey {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Occasional Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- May 2014

I am in the process of rereading Karen Rose's series. Just finished #1 Don't Tell and on to #2 Have You Seen Her? Loved the characters Grayson and Paige in the story you are reading. Her books have a lot of substance to them and are more than just a fluffy romance.

Trusted Contributor

I am finishing up THE RAZOR'S EDGE by W. SOMERSET MAUGHAM.

I highly recommend this novel!!

I don't want to give anything away by telling too much but it is beautifully written and a joy to read - so much so that I am savoring every page and not looking forward to its end!

Maugham tells the story of an American WWl vet who is traumatized by his war experiences and goes on a search for the meaning of life. Maugham cleverly inserts himself into the story as an old friend of one of the main characters. There is romance, jealousy, and wit. His characters really come to life.

My simple recommendation - read it!!

Respected Contributor

I finished ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN and just picked up INSOMNIAC'S recommendation of THE STORIED LIFE OF A.J. FIKRY by Gabrielle Zevin. As a book lover, I figured I couldn't go wrong with a book about the love of books!! Can't wait to cozy up with this one!
Esteemed Contributor

SKYBLUE, how did you like ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN?
Respected Contributor

On 5/1/2014 Lilysmom said: SKYBLUE, how did you like ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN?
It was a wild ride! I've never read anything like it! I liked the way the author set it up. It made it feel like it was a true event.
Honored Contributor

On 5/1/2014 monetfan said:

I am finishing up THE RAZOR'S EDGE by W. SOMERSET MAUGHAM.

I highly recommend this novel!!

I don't want to give anything away by telling too much but it is beautifully written and a joy to read - so much so that I am savoring every page and not looking forward to its end!

Maugham tells the story of an American WWl vet who is traumatized by his war experiences and goes on a search for the meaning of life. Maugham cleverly inserts himself into the story as an old friend of one of the main characters. There is romance, jealousy, and wit. His characters really come to life.

My simple recommendation - read it!!

Surely you've seen the movie. Gene Tierney and Tyrone Power. Fabulous movie-I'm sure the book is, too, but it's too late for me to read the book. I do watch the movie periodically.

Respected Contributor

Happy May everyone.

I finished AmyTan's Valley of Amazement and really enjoyed it. Not much of a historical book reader (early 1900's then back to 1897 in some places) but love her books. It did take me 2 and 1/2 wks since it was over 900 pages in large print but didn't seem that long since it was fast reading. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Going to read Peyton Place by Grace Metalious next. Has been on my shelf forever and it's edition date is 1956 (before I was born of course {#emotions_dlg.tt1}). Unfortunately, it's not a first edition; if it was it'd probably be worth something. Don't know why I haven't read it yet; probably because I've been too busy reading my library books and I just renewed them all for 3 wks and have time to read one of my own.

Honored Contributor

I just finished My Notorious Life written by Kate Manning.

It was an interesting book about an Irish orphan who set herself up as a ""female physician"" in late 1800's in New York. Eye opener about how women were treated at that time in history.

Respected Contributor

I finished THE STORIED LIFE OF A.J. FIKRY and thoroughly enjoyed it! A book centered around a book store owner who loves books. Good story!