Respected Contributor

What Are You Reading --- March 2014

This book thread is started on the first of each month.

Some suggestions for posting here:

~ underline, bold or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is

~ include the author of the book - there are so many books with the same title (if you are recommending a book we want to make sure we read the right one)

~ post a few words about the book - would you recommend it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} or not {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~ tell us the book genre - is it mystery, romance, historical, biography, etc.

***There is no obligation to do any of the above.Smile

As always, all posters are welcome here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's March, but many of us are facing this next winter storm. The only thing good about it is it will be a good reading day!

I'm still reading Did You Miss Me? by Karen Rose. It's a thick book! But so far I'm enjoying it.

Stay safe everyone!

Happy reading all! lainey {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- March 2014

Thanks Lainey for starting this thread every month. Don't know what I would do w/out you or this thread and the other posters.

Started Lisa Lutz's The Last Word earlier in the week. This is #6 of her Spellman series. Except for the footnotes (occasional) they are funny, fast and enjoyable.

Looks like Monday will be a stay at home day because of the snow and looking forward to reading.

Trusted Contributor

Sweet, just wanted to mention to you and other Lisa Lutz fans, that Book Six will come out in paperback on March 18th with a new title. The hardcover is called "THE LAST WORD", but the paperback will be called "SPELLMAN SIX: THE NEXT GENERATION". Guess she decided to write more words! Love her books and look forward to more in the future. I'm about to start "THE CHASE" by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. This is the second in their series together; the first book, "THE HEIST" was cute and reminded me of the film "Oceans 11".
Respected Contributor

On 3/1/2014 Dawg lover said: Sweet, just wanted to mention to you and other Lisa Lutz fans, that Book Six will come out in paperback on March 18th with a new title. The hardcover is called "THE LAST WORD", but the paperback will be called "SPELLMAN SIX: THE NEXT GENERATION". Guess she decided to write more words! Love her books and look forward to more in the future. I'm about to start "THE CHASE" by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. This is the second in their series together; the first book, "THE HEIST" was cute and reminded me of the film "Oceans 11".

That's the one I'm reading now but the pb is longer? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} That's a new one for me in all the books I've read over the years. Hopefully she'll have more in this series since the title suggests to me that it might be the last and thought I read from her FB page or somewhere else that it might be it. I'll guess we'll see.

Decided not to read the new Janet Evanovich series that you are reading. Doesn't appeal to me. Enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry Sweet, I was just making a joke (obviously, not a very good one!) about the original title of the book being "THE LAST WORD" and then being changed to something different that implies the series will go on with further books. That's why I said there would be more "WORDS". Didn't mean to confuse you about the content of the hardback vs. the paperback.
Respected Contributor

On 3/1/2014 Dawg lover said: Sorry Sweet, I was just making a joke (obviously, not a very good one!) about the original title of the book being "THE LAST WORD" and then being changed to something different that implies the series will go on with further books. That's why I said there would be more "WORDS". Didn't mean to confuse you about the content of the hardback vs. the paperback.

Actually,you are correct. I looked on Amazon.

Occasional Contributor

lainey, I have read all of Karen Rose's book and enjoyed them.

Super Contributor

Finished The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. Let's just say I wouldn't put it on my Kindle for my next cruise. Quickest I have gone through a book in years.

Summer 1914. Newlyweds returning to America to escape war in Europe. Ship mysteriously blows up and husband sacrifices his place to secure a seat on an already overcrowded lifeboat for his wife. "For any to live, some must die". Narrated by the wife, Grace.

Grace is a very complicated character and getting to know her and the other passengers thorough only her own perspective adds to the psychological darkness that pervades this book.

Now I'm reading The Ambassador's Son By Homer Hickam. Solomon Islands in 1943. A US Marine (the Ambassador's son & cousin of FDR) has gone AWOL somewhere in Japanese held territory with the native wife of another officer. Ragtag group of Coast Guard and Navy assigned to find him.

Book cover blurb: "Tale is pure fantasy yet based on a real place, real war, involving real people (Adm Halsey, JFK, Richard Nixon to name a few). A great adventure yarn"

Respected Contributor

I have been reading a lot lately and would recommend these books which I think are worth a look at, ONCE UPON A LIE by Maggie Barbieri, BEFORE WE MET by Lucie Whitehouse, STILL LIFE WITH BREAD CRUMBS by Anna Quindlen, KILLING AT COTTON HILL by Terry Shames and THE DEEPEST SECRET by Carla Buckley.

Occasional Contributor

I just finished SONGS OF WILLOW FROST by Jamie Ford. I really enjoyed it.