Valued Contributor

Kindle Users: Did you at one point think you could never read on an E-reader? And preferred a 'real' book?

Hi Everyone,

I am an avid reader and have been my entire life. In fact, I find that each year that I get older I am reading more than ever. I am a big BOOK lover; I love the feel, smell, etc., of a new book, hardback or paperback, big or small. My son has a Kindle, and many of my friends do, including my BFF-who primarily got her Kindle b/c of her small house with limited space. Now, she cannot imagine her life without it.

I have a bunch of books "on-deck", and a few that I've meant to read, but haven't yet. They are all stored in a spare bedroom, on shelves. And boy, do I have a lot of them. I realize that I could cut WAY down on clutter and just be WAY more economical if, at some point, I transition to the Kindle. But there is something holding me back. It's not the $$--especially now that the Kindle is at a fairly decent price point. I think it's really that I think I will miss holding a real book in my hands.

Can anyone share their experience transitioning to using a Kindle? Did you think you would hate it and ended up loving it? Do you miss "real books"?

Anyone?

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

Re: Kindle Users: Did you at one point think you could never read on an E-reader? And preferred a 'real' book?

Hi Joanne-I just realized I missed your reply! Almost a month later! Thank you for the reply and info. And I will always read--paper, or e-reader!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Kindle Users: Did you at one point think you could never read on an E-reader? And preferred a 'real' book?

I just had this conversation with a friend.. She like to do the ""out down"" because I use a nook.. Goes on and on about the ""feel"" of a real book.. Well I listened long enough and finally I said to her -""to me it is more about the story than the method of how I got it""...

I have re-discovered how much I love reading in the last few months.. I think the e-readers are great. but there is nothing wrong with a good old book-- I just don't like the ""closed minded attitude"".

Respected Contributor

I have almost totally converted to an e-reader. I wasn't sure at first, but the more I learned how to navigate my Kindles the better I liked them. I have the most basic Kindle and the most basic Kindle Fire. I love them both. I get all my books for my Kindles free from the library. I like that my basic Kindle has page numbers (for the most part) and my Kindle Fire allows both Kindle books and ePub books (which show number of pages in each chapter).

For reading away from home I usually just take my basic Kindle. It's so much lighter and I love the fact that I can turn the page from either side of the device. The battery lasts so much longer, too.

The only down side is that most new books aren't available through my digital library and I usually get those from the real library. I have a problem with my eyes so I always look for books in large print, if available. That's another reason I love my Kindles. I can change the font to suit my eyes. With ePub books there are even more options to choose from, such as the font style and margin size.

I love having a Kindle. You can take multiple books with you when you travel. So much nicer than lugging a real book (or books) around.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, best buddy & smokymtn, for continuing this thread. I think I will get a Kindle sometime in the next few months--I have a bunch of books "on deck"-actual books. And I want to plow thru them over the next few months. I think even if I got a kindle just for travel or vacation, it would be worth it.
Valued Contributor

Thanks again, smokey.Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

On 2/19/2014 glmama said: Thanks again, smokey.Smiley Happy

glmama, if you get a Kindle, I'd be willing to bet you'll start using it for more than just traveling. It took me a while to fully learn how to navigate on the kindle (not that it's rocket science), but now I prefer it to a real book. There are so many choices, though. The hardest part will be trying to decide which kindle to get.

I have to confess something I did when I was new to the kindle. Sometimes I would take a book out of the library and then also request it through my digital library. That way I could compare the real book to the kindle version. Don't ask me why I did that. Just because I didn't totally trust the kindle version, I guess.

Honored Contributor

Real books, Nook books, Kindle books, Fire books, IPad books, IPod Nano books, IPod Shuffle books--had them all, love them all, never had a problem with a transition! I read and listen to books.

Valued Contributor

Sooner-A woman after my own heart. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

A reading confession that those that are life-long readers might understand: I used to read anything and everything. When I was little I used to love to read the backs of any product my mother had in the bathroom--cleaning supplies, Jean Nate, Tampax box, you name it. Weird, I know. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Smoky & Ladies, thank you for continuing this thread. Smiley Happy

Mother's Day is right around the corner. I never really ask for anything, but maybe a kindle is in order this year?

Respected Contributor

I read both. It makes no difference to me. If the book is good, the delivery system is beside the point.