New Contributor

How long should you keep unused makeup?

I have an active outdoors job and do not wear makeup on a daily basis. My Bobby Brown foundation, Bare Minerals blush and eye shadow are several years old. I know mascara has to be replaced on a regular basis but these items still get the job done. What is the shelf life of most types of make up.

Super Contributor

Re: How long should you keep unused makeup?

beauty..com/od/makeuptrickstips/a/shelflife.htm
Super Contributor

I keep mine until and unless it's clearly bad. I have bare minerals eye shadows that must be over a decade old. You can tell when lipstick is bad, and anything that smells bad or performs poorly, separates, etc. , but most dry items will last a long, long time.
Occasional Contributor

Depends upon the products you have, Some of the products have more life rather you put them open instead of putting them in a cool place...

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.glare} I read somewhere that its three months, then it should be discarded.

Esteemed Contributor

gazelle's link didn't work?, but I did find this http://beauty.about.com/od/makeuptrickstips/a/shelflife.htm

I have lots of unused lippies from GWP's and I won't discard them, unless they are obviously funky.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Contributor

Leslie has said Bare Escentuals loose minerals do not expire. You don't have to worry about any sealed unused products they make. Open and used, I don't worry about unless I see them change, which has never happened in my 8 years with BE. My experience has been the same with their products other than the loose. Ready and primers and lip products, always fine. I toss glosses and such once used for a while but not because they don't seem perfectly fine. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Some makeups have on the back of the jar a little ""bottle"" and it will say 12m or 24m on them. That's how long they are good for after opening. M=months.
Valued Contributor

On 7/21/2014 SuzyBailey said: Some makeups have on the back of the jar a little "bottle" and it will say 12m or 24m on them. That's how long they are good for after opening. M=months.

What Suzy said!

I've posted this before but will say again. ALL beauty items have an expiration date (don't believe the hoopla about certain makeups not having an expiration date, everything expires eventually). This includes ALL makeup (especially liquids), lotions, skin care (cleansers, serums, moisturizers), self-tanners, etc.

Look at your product and find an icon that is a far with its lid open. Next to, or in the jar will be a number followed by "M", this means number of months the product is good for after you expose it to oxygen, aka after you open it. For instance, 12m =12 months, 6m = 6 months, etc. The icon will either be on the back of the bottle or on the bottom. If it is a liquid eyeliner look for it after the ingredients list.

Note that even if you do not open it, it is possible for the product to expire before you open it. Different factors such as moisture, humidity, light, lack of parabens, natural ingredients, self-tanner (DHA), fragrance, oils, added colors, etc can ALL affect expiration. So it's best to put un-used products in a container away from light and temperature changes (never keep products in your car). And as always if you use any eye products (eye serums, concealers, mascara, eye shadows and liners) to use them up with 30-90 days, as these products are more likely to carry bacteria that can do not so pretty things to your eyes.

Look for this icon on your products:

Respected Contributor

Three months? Ridiculous!

In other words, I keep them a lot longer than the cosmetics manufacturers wish I would.

What worries you masters you.