Shoes & Handbags Offers
28 Members and 9981 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Does skin need to "breathe?"

Started 1281740766.013 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1281840789.23 by noposting

I'm going to try to skip moisturizer every other evening and see how it effects my skin. I haven't been that happy with my skin lately, and I've heard that over moisturizing is bad for skin, so I'm going to see what happens if I really cut back. I think I'll try going every other evening and on the alternate evenings use my AHA or philosophy help me.

Anyone not use moisturizer at night?

Page 1 of 1
naturalfan1281741727.524250 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

I do not use moisturizer every night but I have very oily skin. I did find last winter that I did need some moisture, although still did not use every night. I never miss eye cream but skip moisture at bedtime most nights.

madcity4111281742231.9634559 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

Never use it, and my skin is baby soft. So is DH's. No need to moiturize. Just lucky I guess.

stilltamn8r1281742297.10713953 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal

I don't use moisturizer at night- nor most days either...

But yes skin literally needs to breathe- it is a site of oxygen exchange for the human body- If you were literally to cover it with some material, like a paint or something that air could not penetrate, you would actually die...

Brabls1281742590.7114740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I need a litte every night. I didn't until I was in my 40's.

But I mean a little-peas size. I suspect most women use too much product.

NurseRecru­iter1281742752.5913869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago

In the winter, absolutely must. In the summer, it just depends. Sometimes my Retin A is enough, sometimes I use just a serum for a bit of moisture. Lately, I've been using one drop, just one drop of argan oil. However, I always, always have to use moisture under my eyes at night, all year round.

The skin breathing thing, I think, is hooey. Oxygen comes from the blood. The only thing air does is let our skin's own best moisture evaporate!

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

Love2Laugh1281744548.3134892 PostsRegistered 1/13/2005

I don't use moisturizer at night but that is because of the skin type I have, not because I am concerned about my skin needing to breathe.

Every one's skin is different and needs different levels of moisture. For someone whose skin is dry, I would never recommend not moisturizing, but for someone whose skin is oily, they might not need that type of moisture as it could be pore clogging for them.

I really don't think "breathing" is the concern so much as being concerned about pores clogging if that is your issue.

Harpa1281745815.7477515 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

Skin does not breathe in the literal sense. Your skin should be "free" to rid your body of toxins that constantly barage it each day. Skin regulates your body's temperature. A lot of people this summer have complained of sweating, but really, sweating is good for you and is your cooling mechanism. Your own oil which is produced by your sebaceous glands is released onto the surface of your skin, conditioning your skin. The problem is, as we age, our sebaceous glands slow down their activity, and our skin becomes dry.

You may not need to replenish the oil or moisture every night. You're only applying moisture to maintain your skin's suppleness. Also think about your environment, because this is probably the biggest factor in how our skin does or does not maintain itself.

Maybe someone can clarify better on the functions of skin, but this is my understanding.

patheticco­smetics1281746123.877953 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

NR has a point about skin "breathing". We cover our bodies with clothes. In the winter very little of my skin is bare when I'm outside and I don't know how detrimental it is to my skin.

There is the scene in Goldfinger where the woman's body is covered in paint and because a spot at the base of her spine was covered, she suffocated. Movie plot line or based in fact? I don't know. Might be something to look into.

Brabls1281748799.0914740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

The answer about skin breathing

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/goldfinger.asp

noposting1281749169.593577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005
On 8/13/2010 Love2Laugh said:

I don't use moisturizer at night but that is because of the skin type I have, not because I am concerned about my skin needing to breathe.

Every one's skin is different and needs different levels of moisture. For someone whose skin is dry, I would never recommend not moisturizing, but for someone whose skin is oily, they might not need that type of moisture as it could be pore clogging for them.

I really don't think "breathing" is the concern so much as being concerned about pores clogging if that is your issue.

Yes, my pores clog easily. Maybe this is what I mean by "breathing." I have found great products that aren't causing new clogs, but I would like to have my skin heal and function on it's own and maybe break the constant moisturizer dependency, if that makes any sense.

Love2Laugh1281750598.6434892 PostsRegistered 1/13/2005
On 8/13/2010 noposting said:
On 8/13/2010 Love2Laugh said:

Yes, my pores clog easily. Maybe this is what I mean by "breathing." I have found great products that aren't causing new clogs, but I would like to have my skin heal and function on it's own and maybe break the constant moisturizer dependency, if that makes any sense.

I do understand, and your explanation makes sense. I think there is some validity for those of us who struggle with clogged pores to give the skin a rest.

I have been working really hard at using less products - it is hard to do when at least 3 of the products I use (cleanser, BHA, and retinol) all help to keep me from breaking out.

So, my answer to that problem is that I have gotten into my routine this summer where at night I just cleanse and put on a serum. Sometimes (my little secret) I don't put on anything.

Summer is almost worse for my skin than the middle of winter because I have oily skin so I have been seeing some extra milia on my skin this summer, and I am not happy about it. I know it comes from using some products that are a little too heavy on the skin. I know what those products are, but they serve another purpose for me, so I don't want to give them up. And there aren't any other products out there that do what they will do for me, SO, I take a break from them occasionally by not using anything at night about 1 to 2 times a week.

Kathleen1281750811.412763 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I don't use anything overnight. When I get home from work, I use baby shampoo to remove my makeup - and that's it.

patheticco­smetics1281835466.503953 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

Thanks for the link Brabls. Very interesting reading. The original actor for the role of the Tinman {Buddy Ebsen} in the Wizard of Oz, got very sick from the makeup they used to make him look like a tin man. Had a serious allergic reaction to it. He bowed out of the movie.

beach-mom1281836312.3639494 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

Interesting thread - thanks for starting it! I don't know about the breathing part, but I believe your skin needs to "take a break" from everything used on it. As for me, I have combination skin. I don't use moisturizer at all in the spring and summer, and I might use just a little at night in the fall and winter when indoor heat and cold winds cause a little redness. I do wear sunscreen every day. When I go to bed at night there is usually nothing on my face. But every time I have a makeover from one of the major lines and they use everything on me, my skin feels so soft. I'm always tempted to buy what they use. But it's usually about six or seven different things. Now if someday an mua just used one or two things - well that would get my attention!

mamagriz1281840591.56763 PostsRegistered 2/3/2008

Bubble Bath That is why we have pores; so our skin can breathe. It makes all kinds of sense to keep it clean and not block those pores with makeup, dirt, perspiration, or body paint. A very light moisturizer that sinks in should work for anyone. Heavy duty stuff----not a good idea.

noposting1281840789.2273577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005
On 8/13/2010 patheticcosmetics said:

NR has a point about skin "breathing". We cover our bodies with clothes. In the winter very little of my skin is bare when I'm outside and I don't know how detrimental it is to my skin.

There is the scene in Goldfinger where the woman's body is covered in paint and because a spot at the base of her spine was covered, she suffocated. Movie plot line or based in fact? I don't know. Might be something to look into.

I heard this is a myth, but mythbusters explored this and Jamie started feeling sick pretty quickly and had an elevated heartbeat from being coated in gold paint.

Page 1 of 1