Better Than Black Friday
71 Members and 14959 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Gelish on natural nails... the BEST product EVER!!

Started 1281019619.45 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1294445720.33 by Vixter

I just wanted to let you all know about a WONDERFUL new product...

It is called GELISH. I normally do my nails myself but I was getting my hair cut at my salon and the nail tech came around and gave me info. I went in the next day and had it done because it sounded so intriguing (and I had a coupon!).

That was LAST Monday, 10 days ago, and my nails look EXACTLY the same as the moment I left!!!

It is a gel product that adheres to the natural nail and is set by using a LED light. The filler removes all ridges and makes them super smooth and then the top coating is put on. They are completely dry before you leave the chair and you can write your check and dig in your purse! The product can also be used for toes!

She said it would last 3 weeks with no chips and I will say that I KNOW it last at least 2.... and it still looks GREAT.

I paid $35 for the spa manicure with parafin wax and the gelish manicure. She did the manicure part first THEN did the scrub and wax!

This product gets my overwhelming approval!!

Page 1 of 2
iachick1281021024.4573103 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008

I've been trying to find the CND Shellac nails in town... I wonder how Gelish compares to Shellac? I don't want to spend the money (or the time) to invest in gel nails but would love to be able to wear polish for longer than 1 day without it chipping. Thanks, will have to check this out! Kiss

stuyvesant1281021430.4638316 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010

How does it work? Is it strictly a topical coating like a nail polish? And is it removed like a nail polish? TIA.



~~~

Silverstar1281021994.9572794 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007
On 8/5/2010 stuyvesant said:

How does it work? Is it strictly a topical coating like a nail polish? And is it removed like a nail polish? TIA.

i was going to ask the same question.

years ago i used to use a gel product that was applied to the nail with a brush, then placed under UV light to 'cure or set' the gel. if it wasn't level, the nail tech would file it to shape it, then add a top coat, then under the light for the final time. the gels were removed by either filing them down or soaking in acetone. they tended to lift the way acrylics do. eventually, i had a reaction to the gel (itchy red cuticles) and had to stop using the product all together...then i discovered nailtiques and will never go back to that type of product again.

i wonder if gelish is the same type of product.

Jgirl1281022277.7772804 PostsRegistered 2/16/2008

Okay... these are NOT gel nails like acrylics. I had those in the 90's.

This is your own nail with a plastic like top. It is hard to explain but it a VERY thin plasticy coat over your own nail and it adheres by a light.

It is not just a top coat. She started by "working in the product" with a hard rough brush to make it adhere to my natural nail. Then under the light. Then she worked in a smoother. Under the light. Then the color and back under the light. Done. I picked the pearly clear and it looks AMAZING!

It is not removed with polish remover (becuase it is not a polish!) but is rubbed out or something. She will take this coat off when I get it redone or I can go in and have it removed completely for free. She said it only takes a few minutes but I am DEFINITELY putting it back on in about a month.

texas dee1281023422.56788 PostsRegistered 4/25/2007

Hi, sounds great. Question, does it destroy your nails like acrylics tend to? I've had acrylics and the first thing the tech does is rough up your natural nails and when you remove the acrylics, your nails are sooooo thin that any growth has to be clipped off.

Dee

texas dee1281023569.288 PostsRegistered 4/25/2007
On 8/5/2010 Silverstar said:
On 8/5/2010 stuyvesant said:

How does it work? Is it strictly a topical coating like a nail polish? And is it removed like a nail polish? TIA.

i was going to ask the same question.

years ago i used to use a gel product that was applied to the nail with a brush, then placed under UV light to 'cure or set' the gel. if it wasn't level, the nail tech would file it to shape it, then add a top coat, then under the light for the final time. the gels were removed by either filing them down or soaking in acetone. they tended to lift the way acrylics do. eventually, i had a reaction to the gel (itchy red cuticles) and had to stop using the product all together...then i discovered nailtiques and will never go back to that type of product again.

i wonder if gelish is the same type of product.

Silverstar, What are nailtiques? Is this a drug store product or a salon product? TIA

Dee

Jgirl1281037961.6832804 PostsRegistered 2/16/2008

I don't think it destroys the nails, although mine is still on and I have not yet removed it.

She did file the base a LITTLE. It was so very little that I can't imagine it made any difference to the nail itself. The file was very soft- similar to that 4 sided file you can pick up at Target etc to "buff" your nail. It seemed that texture of grit. She rubbed it once over on the nailbed but instead of then using another side to buff, she put the filler gel over the top and then under the LED light.

I have been to a day at the beach, on a trip in the airport, dishes, work, gardening and normal household stuff for 10 days and it still looks perfect. I did use a cuticle softner about 3 days ago but that is all.

Fifi11281038122.734767 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005

This sounds very similar to the Shellac by CD or OPI newer system -

My salon will not have it for a couple more weeks - but I'm gain to try it!!! It is supposed to be very different from Gel nails! Anxious to try!

Iluvlucy1281038504.793804 PostsRegistered 8/22/2008

The gel on natural nails sounded great to me until I learned that you have to soak them off. This really turned me off, do I guess I will just continue to polish my nails every 5-7 days.

Love me, love my rescues!!!!!

manny21281039620.2831786 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

Any damage to the nail is temporary with any nail service. Your nail grows in layers (like onion skin) so when you file the tops you thin them out. I'm sure the gels are pretty but expensive to maintain. I've said it before and I'll say it again powder and glue applied and buffed with a white block works perfect, and the best part you can do and repair yourself. I have had my licence for years but only worked in the beauty business for two years I do however keep up on all the latest products by going to classes that her held at the different beauty supply stores. (the one you have to have a licence to buy from)

Silverstar1281039648.3132794 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007
On 8/5/2010 texas dee said:
On 8/5/2010 Silverstar said:
On 8/5/2010 stuyvesant said:

How does it work? Is it strictly a topical coating like a nail polish? And is it removed like a nail polish? TIA.

i was going to ask the same question.

years ago i used to use a gel product that was applied to the nail with a brush, then placed under UV light to 'cure or set' the gel. if it wasn't level, the nail tech would file it to shape it, then add a top coat, then under the light for the final time. the gels were removed by either filing them down or soaking in acetone. they tended to lift the way acrylics do. eventually, i had a reaction to the gel (itchy red cuticles) and had to stop using the product all together...then i discovered nailtiques and will never go back to that type of product again.

i wonder if gelish is the same type of product.

Silverstar, What are nailtiques? Is this a drug store product or a salon product? TIA

Nailtiques is a nail polish that can be found at some CVS, Rite Aid and Ulta stores. It's a little on the expensive side - $17.50 for a half oz bottle. It comes in a couple of different formulas - you pick the formula based on the condition of your nails. I've used formula 2 for several years without any problems. I was using the Nailtiques Oil Therapy on my cuticles daily until I read here about Sally Hansen's Vit E nail and cuticle oil. That seems to help my nails grow out faster, but I'm about to do a 30 day experiment - one hand with Nailtiques, one with Sally Hansen to see which is more effective.

www.nailtiques.com has more info about their products.

LipstickDi­va1281039737.08339197 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

So you don't have your nails "filled?" This is completely removed and reapplied again?

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Silverstar1281039988.432794 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007
On 8/5/2010 manny2 said:

Any damage to the nail is temporary with any nail service. Your nail grows in layers (like onion skin) so when you file the tops you thin them out. I'm sure the gels are pretty but expensive to maintain. I've said it before and I'll say it again powder and glue applied and buffed with a white block works perfect, and the best part you can do and repair yourself. I have had my licence for years but only worked in the beauty business for two years I do however keep up on all the latest products by going to classes that her held at the different beauty supply stores. (the one you have to have a licence to buy from)

damage to the nail can last a year or more. i've read some serious horror stories about women who had acrylics and many problems for at least a year after they were taking off. works perfect meaning less damage to the natural nail? i once tried this and it's a mess to work with. i'm no professional, but i'm not a novice either but had a hard time with this technique. how does one get a perfect application?

Last edited on 8/5/2010

Last edited on 8/5/2010

Jgirl1281040259.092804 PostsRegistered 2/16/2008

This is NOT the filing that comes with acrylics or the old gel nail extensions. Not even close. Maybe 1/10th or less. Just a light rub to make sure the bed is clean and prepped to accept the thick coat.

I have had acrylics many years ago and it isn't nearly the same.

Also, this formula is NOT an extension- you can't make your fingernails longer. It just coats what you already have.

And, yes, there is no fills. It is removed and reapplies like polish.

Karin in V­ermont1281040420.183816 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007VT and AZ

Does anyone know how Gelish differs from OPI Axxium Gel Polish?

.........You look mahvelous........

Sunshine K­ate1281040851.23312367 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

Nailtiques didn't work for me at all. I went back to either OPI Nail Envy or Perfect Formula. I wore acrylics for years and OPI Nail Envy literally saved my paper thin nails. I gave it the true test.

The gels you're talking about sounds interesting.

Respectfully ~
Kate

Shelbelle1281041537.15735086 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I was going to say this sounds just like the OPI Gel Axium. The OPI has to be soaked off in acetone, That is the part I do not like.

Sunshine K­ate1281041632.26312367 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky
On 8/5/2010 Shelbelle said:

I was going to say this sounds just like the OPI Gel Axium. The OPI has to be soaked off in acetone, That is the part I do not like.

The Gelish has to be soaked off in acetone too, for about 15 minutes. I don't like that part either.

Respectfully ~
Kate

Jgirl1281042658.582804 PostsRegistered 2/16/2008

I may be wrong but I thought she said she removes it with a special solution from the company and then reapplies or files/buffs. I'll know in a few weeks.

Shelbelle1281045061.1635086 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Their special solution may be acetone. My salon charges $35 for the OPI Axium. I would love only having to go every 3 weeks and have my polish stay on like glue, a dream come true, but I dont like the acetone part. I also dont like that they leave a very small margin around the nail edge so this gel does not touch your skin. I like my polish right up against the skin.

AndiHaute1281108600.042 PostsRegistered 8/6/2010

8

AndiHaute1281111516.8572 PostsRegistered 8/6/2010
On 8/5/2010 Karin in Vermont said:

Does anyone know how Gelish differs from OPI Axxium Gel Polish?

The main differences between CND Shellac, Harmony Gelish, and OPI Axxium Gel polish:

1. OPI is packaged in a jar that's to be used with a separate "paint" brush. Shellac and Gelish come in a "polish" bottle.

2. OPI is long lasting (about 2 weeks), and very flexible with a high sheen and a slight "rubbery" feel. It can become yellowish if the color is light enough and if the nail tech isn't well practiced, the results can turn out translucent, lumpy, and uneven. The colors specified on the jars are NOT the color results on the nails. For example; OPI's traditional polish color Princesses Rule upon application to the natural nail has great coverage, and is very pink with sparkles. The same color in Axxium Gel Polish is almost completely clear with a slight pink hue. This could potentially turn off a new gel polish client. It did me.

3. Shellac requires little to NO prep-time outside a manicure. Goes on beautifully and lasts about 8 days chip free. Has a nice sheen, too, but then begins to look and act like traditional polish depending on a client's regular activities. The color on the outside of the bottle is an EXACT match to the color result on the nails. Shellac also boasts that the product is "3-FREE" containing no formaldehyde, toluene, or DBP. Unfortunately, Shellac is very limited in the color selection, only 12 colors available now, then introducing 12 more in the Spring 2011. Also, there is an indefinite international back order for all distributors because CND cannot keep up with the demand. For more info go to: http://cnd.com/shellac-availability/

4. Harmony Gelish goes on like polish, lasts about 10-14 days chip free with an outstanding sheen and only requires one more step than Shellac (buffing the natural nail prior to application). Can be used with both Harmony's new 30 second LED lamp (which is not available yet) or a traditional UV lamp. Gelish comes in 48 brilliant colors that are true and Gelish bottles contain TWICE as much product than either OPI and Shellac. You've got to try it to believe it.

All three products can be polished over with traditional polish, and require 10-15 minutes removal time by wrapping fingertips in acetone soaked cotton and foil. The products will crystalize and scrape right off using an orange wood stick, with no damage to the natural nail. Of course, anyone who picks off the product could result in nail damage.

Gelish has won me over.

Last edited on 8/6/2010

Last edited on 8/6/2010

Last edited on 8/6/2010

Last edited on 8/6/2010

Last edited on 8/6/2010

sanderpie1281190842.43921 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Texas

My sister uses this product. I wonder how to find a salon near me that uses Gelish????

lovemykitE

cdq1294370346.3531 PostsRegistered 1/6/2011

Does anyone do Gelish nails in Norcross/Johns Creek/Alpharetta, GA? My sister-in-law introduced me to this in FL over the holidays and I love them -- but where to go here?

Hotheads1294377314.92182 PostsRegistered 12/3/2005Pa

OMG I am a believer in gelish. I am a hairstylist ( but I dont do nails) I am always in water, color and perms. I have had gelish on 3 weeks tomorrow. No chips- it is growing out at nail bed so I need to go in the next two days but I love it!!!!

Page 1 of 2