TSV(R) Preview
134 Members and 11464 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Does Target take cosmetic returns back?

Started 1266558127 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1266637243 by doglover3
I've heard a few stores do. I have the cardboard and receipt. I bought some Covergirl Eyelights mascara in black gold yesterday and used it this morning. It has very fine glitter in it which you don't see in the mascara but you see it later around and under your eyes. My eyes are so irritated this evening. My mascara remover has not removed the glitter specks, nor did a shower! I need to try again to get the remainder off.
I'd like my $ back or get an exchange for one of the other colors, which I really like.

Page 1 of 1
JoElla126656342710552 PostsRegistered 8/6/2006Texas
I know mine takes them back, but it must cause some sort of irritation. Sounds like you should tell them that it did irritate you.

Candice31501266563787778 PostsRegistered 6/8/2009
Target is so weird about returns. I've had varying amounts of success in returning things there but never cosmetics so I'm not sure about that. I'd just call and ask.

Alabama Crimson Tide -- 2009 NCAA National Champions!! Roll Tide!!!!!

AllHatNoCa­ttle1266564093151 PostsRegistered 1/18/2005God's Country
Yes, they should. I think it depends on the person behind the counter more than anything, the power trip.
I worked at a similar store in college, and ANYTHING can be returned as 'defective'. When packages would get opened accidentally with the box knives, those items would go back as 'defective' to the distributor.
I think as consumers we need to do our part and be honorable, i.e. just because we don't like it, doesnt' mean someone else shoudl pay for our experiment. But if things are not what they are advertised to be, or they are old, smelly, etc. by all means, you work hard for you money, you should get what you pay for.
--
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

marygray126656862147973 PostsRegistered 5/8/2005
Target's policy is to accept all returns with a proof of purchase, and receipt.
Prove you bought it, they will exchange it.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. "

redchop1266574075266 PostsRegistered 1/23/2009
Target is very good on returns if you have a receipt. I return Cosmetics if I don't like it or it irritates me. They'll take it back.

Laserbeam1126657757244 PostsRegistered 6/27/2009
Walgreen's also takes back cosmetics is you are dissatified.

CaChica12666015025895 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006
Thank you for your replies. My eyes are still irritated so I will try returning on my way home this evening. I never thought about a mascara having specks of glitter in it, unless it was made that way and labeled 'glitter' and was a selling feature of a product.

Brinklii126660196210278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI
I took an eyeliner back to Walmart recently. When I went up to the desk, I just said, "I understand that you will take anything back with a receipt." Then I gave her the product and the receipt and told her that it was supposed to be waterproof, but wasn't. If she gives you any grief, just ask to talk to the manager. I've done that at Target before and always get satisfaction. ~~ Tabby
--
If you're busy hugging the past, you can't embrace the future.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Daysdee126660218219025 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
Target here will NOT accept returns of opened cosmetic items. Also they are very strict now about having receipts on any returns and they track the number of returns you make. Won't take any returns (even gifts) without a receipt or gift receipt.

jkps126660368256 PostsRegistered 3/6/2009The Upstate...SC
I have returned several beauty items to our Target w/o any problems. I do always have my receipt and the only thing I've ever been asked is why I was returning it. My explanation has always been accepted w/o comments or questions.

cassiem12666037096836 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
The official Target return policy is that they will only accept returns on items that are unopened and unused (unless the item is defective). Some stores follow this policy completely, others will accept returns. It really depends on your local store.

Brinklii126663123510278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI
Target is headquartered here in the Twin Cities. I have had lots of patients who work at the headquarters. They told me that if you have a problem with a return, the magic word is "Manager," because they want to keep the customers happy. I tried it once on something that was past their 90 day return policy, and he said, "Normally, we don't take returns after 90 days (or whatever) even with a receipt, but for YOU I will make an exception. What he did was ring up the item, gave me a receipt showing that I was owed $$ by Target. Then, the Corporate office had to mail me a check for the return. It took about a week to get the refund. Like someone else mentioned, Target does keep track of how many returns you make. I don't know how often they will let you get away with calling for the Manager, but it worked for me once anyway. ~~ Tabby
--
If you're busy hugging the past, you can't embrace the future.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

CaChica12666340175895 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006
> The official Target return policy is that they will
> only accept returns on items that are unopened and
> unused (unless the item is defective). Some stores
> follow this policy completely, others will accept
> returns. It really depends on your local store.
UPDATE: I phoned my area Target store and was told they would take it if I used the words 'item is defective'. She said don't say you are asking for a return due to the glitter irritation (glitter was not mentioned on the product). The lady I spoke to was at the desk and I just told her I had phoned in. She just took it and rang up a refund for me. I didn't even have to fill anything out. I'm happy she handled it for me, it was over $7. :-)
thank for your input ladies! I don't know if they would have refunded if I had not phoned them...
--
Edited by CaChica at 02/19/2010 6:09 PM PST

Last edited on 2/19/2010

doglover312666372439788 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> I took an eyeliner back to Walmart recently. When I
> went up to the desk, I just said, "I understand that
> you will take anything back with a receipt." Then I
> gave her the product and the receipt and told her
> that it was supposed to be waterproof, but wasn't.
> If she gives you any grief, just ask to talk to the
> e manager. I've done that at Target before and
> always get satisfaction. ~~ Tabby
>
> --
> If you're busy hugging the past, you can't embrace
> the future.
Our Walmarts won't take any cosmetic back that has been opened or used. I said how do I know if it irrates or not if I don't open and use it? I have very sensitive eyes and some things just make my eyes tear almost non stop. Our Walmart won't take them back regardless who you talk to there, won't take opened cosmetics back for any reason.
All our drug stores take cosmetics back, no questions asked, haven't tried at Target, just got one near by.

Page 1 of 1