Keurig Offer
125 Members and 11496 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Return to Sender on Unopened Packages

Started 1275663489.16 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1297479021.06 by bea1950

I thought I had discontinued an auto-ship. I guess I did not and received the package a few days ago. I haven't opened it, so can I just write "Return to Sender" and not have to pay the postage on the return?

Page 1 of 2
kittyloo1275664815.19783 PostsRegistered 12/22/2004

yes, i believe so, as long as it's not been opened.

cpn2jxp1275664929.42506 PostsRegistered 9/12/2007

Yes if unopened. If UPS call them 800-742-5877 and tell them to come get it. USPS- mark it "refused" and drop it off. Shippers pay for return service in their contracts.

CA annie1275665214.7633769 PostsRegistered 1/25/2007Sunny CA

I am wondering the same thing. I purchased that HAAN floor product and now I don't want it after reading all the very bad reviews. However, it seems to me that I called QVC about another product a few years ago, and was told I had to open it up and then return it like I would do on any other return. Can someone give me a clue as to whether I can actually just write "return to sender" on the front of the unopened package. I'd really appreciate it.

Annie

Jabberjaw1275665216.937367 PostsRegistered 5/27/2009CA

Thanks guys...that is what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

cpn2jxp1275665560.747506 PostsRegistered 9/12/2007

I work at UPS. Trust me I send back so many unopened packages refused from Q customers. You DO NOT have to open and use the stickers they provide. Also, if you are in town and see a UPS guy, just give him/her the unopened box. They don't have to be your driver and they must take it.

Jabberjaw1275666078.997367 PostsRegistered 5/27/2009CA
On 6/4/2010 cpn2jxp said:

I work at UPS. Trust me I send back so many unopened packages refused from Q customers. You DO NOT have to open and use the stickers they provide. Also, if you are in town and see a UPS guy, just give him/her the unopened box. They don't have to be your driver and they must take it.

I know my UPS driver. I am going to hand the package back to her when I see her today. The companies say that the packages aren't insured if you return them this way and if they don't receive them, then you won't get credit. How do you counter that? Should I ask my driver for a receipt of pick-up?

cpn2jxp1275666873.807506 PostsRegistered 9/12/2007

The UPS drivers don't have the capability of giving you a receipt. If you went to a UPS customer counter they do. All you really need to do is keep track of it on UPS.com. It goes back to them on the same tracking number that was sent to you. And yes, it still is insured. That is part of the original shipment agreement.

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1275667043.661355 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005

Just write RETURN to SENDER on the package

Write down the Tracking Number on THAT package

If your handing it to your UPS guy - MAKE SURE he scans it in front of you

If your bringing it to UPS - MAKE SURE they scan it in front of you AND get the receipt

cpn2jxp1275667057.85506 PostsRegistered 9/12/2007

Besides, once he scans it into his Diad as refused it is no longer your responsibility. It is UPS responsibility.

CA annie1275667166.5273769 PostsRegistered 1/25/2007Sunny CA

Great news and good advice. Thank you so much!

Annie

qvcaddition1275667364.015567 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007

I did this once, just gave it right back to the driver. QVC said if it got lost I would have been responsible for cost of item. It made it there. The driver clocked it in and said, as long as it's not opened, they have to take it back.

Jabberjaw1275670812.927367 PostsRegistered 5/27/2009CA

I think that companies try to discourage you from making a legitimate refusal by telling you that you must open the package first. My opinion is that they want you to open the package because then, depending on the item and the cost to ship back, many people won't bother to make the return.

CA annie1275672178.573769 PostsRegistered 1/25/2007Sunny CA

I think you may be right jabberjaw.

Annie

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1275673059.4371355 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005
On 6/4/2010 Jabberjaw said:

I think that companies try to discourage you from making a legitimate refusal by telling you that you must open the package first. My opinion is that they want you to open the package because then, depending on the item and the cost to ship back, many people won't bother to make the return.

I have never had a company HSN, QVC, SHOPnbc or OTHER tell me I HAD TO open it first.

Matter of fact I canceled 2 autoships with HSN last year BUT they sent the package anyway ? and THEY told me to just refuse, as well with VitaCost & with SHOP just a bit ago.... I tried to cancel an order I placed & it was too late so I called to see IF they could cancel or get it RErouted back to them and they could not. They told me to refuse.....

Last edited on 6/4/2010

Last edited on 6/4/2010

Last edited on 6/4/2010

Jabberjaw1275675383.707367 PostsRegistered 5/27/2009CA
On 6/4/2010 JustWantBeautifulSkinn said:

I have never had a company HSN, QVC, SHOPnbc or OTHER tell me I HAD TO open it first.

Matter of fact I canceled 2 autoships with HSN last year BUT they sent the package anyway ? and THEY told me to just refuse, as well with VitaCost & with SHOP just a bit ago.... I tried to cancel an order I placed & it was too late so I called to see IF they could cancel or get it RErouted back to them and they could not. They told me to refuse.....

Last edited on 6/4/2010

Last edited on 6/4/2010

I just called and that is what I was just told. She said that she could not guarantee that the package would get back to them without the provided return label or by paying my own shipping and getting a receipt. When one thinks of it, they can always say they never received your package, so to your point in a previous post, just get confirmation from UPS or USPS through a scan or receipt.

It does not surprise me that all of the CS reps are not reading from the same script.

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1275675813.5371355 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005
On 6/4/2010 JustWantBeautifulSkinn said:

Last edited on 6/4/2010

Last edited on 6/4/2010

I just called and that is what I was just told. She said that she could not guarantee that the package would get back to them without the provided return label or by paying my own shipping and getting a receipt. When one thinks of it, they can always say they never received your package, so to your point in a previous post, just get confirmation from UPS or USPS through a scan or receipt.

It does not surprise me that all of the CS reps are not reading from the same script.

YES..... definately - when I refuse a package from UPS, he'll say okay and I say WAIT!!! Please scan it now in front of me AND he does :)

When I go to the UPS store to drop one off as a return to sender, I ask that they scan it INFRONT of me AND ask for a receipt - they should give you a scan receipt

If I am doing a regular return of an item MOST time I use the USPS it is MUCH cheaper AND I get a Tracking Confirmation number

If which is VERY rare - I use their provided return lable SHOP, Q, HSN and go thru UPS - I ask for a receipt EVEN when they are waiving the shipping using their lable

Just cover yourself.....

CA annie1275711031.8873769 PostsRegistered 1/25/2007Sunny CA

I took the unopened QVC box to a UPS store and the young woman who waited on me said she could not scan it or print me out of receipt. I stood there incredulously. Another employee came up and said that wasn't correct. She told me she could make a copy of the tracking number and I could track it online, as the tracking number was the same going as coming. I told her ok and I do have a copy of that, but, I didn't see it being scanned and I received absolutely no receipt. I tried!!!!!

Annie

lucas mom ­05021275711318.2310 PostsRegistered 4/17/2010MD

I was informed by the Post Office to write "Refused" on the front of the package AND initial it. The post office will return the package at no cost!

"Men fall in love with their eyes; Women with their ears."

Rosie73101275712709.14275 PostsRegistered 9/1/2009
On 6/4/2010 lucas mom 0502 said:

I was informed by the Post Office to write "Refused" on the front of the package AND initial it. The post office will return the package at no cost!

This is what I was told also.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} And UPS is the same, but you have to call 1800-pickups. and if it's not open you don't pay and they come pick it up.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

jenni21275712892.322970 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

was it ups? if so, i just write refuse on it, put a note on it with refused, and put it out when the next delivery is

you can do this even weeks later, i think (you won't get qvc to rfund postage after 30 days)

i write refuse on it, with the note also, because i used to just pt the note on it - but one packaged got re-delivered, so i learned!

jenni21275713149.532970 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

i have never once handed it to a driver or asked for a receipt (i was told at a ups store that they couldn't help me, but i don't go there anymore ) - and i have never had a problem with the company receiving it

in fact, they usually get it back faster than if i had opened it and returned it the 'normal' way

i just returned a nick chavez tsv set, unopened, becase i didn't really want to get it (a-d i forgot to cancel)

painless - let me see if they have it back yet :) probably not yet, it was just yesterday

HandbagHap­py1275957163.91468 PostsRegistered 11/5/2008Georgia

I have done this in the past but was charged the return postage amount by QVC anyway. I called CS and was told the return postage still had to be paid regardless of the method of return. In my opinion, if returns are such a "BIG PROBLEM" to QVc, the showhosts should stop saying "if you don't like it just send it back".

Sunshine K­ate1275957615.30312111 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

No wonder shipping and handling charges are so expensive. UPS is too busy delivering packages, the customer refuses and UPS takes it right back to QVC.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves. I guess that's why so many people get "The Letter", if because of people like you.

Respectfully ~
Kate

Jabberjaw1275964828.303367 PostsRegistered 5/27/2009CA

I am really trying to understand your comment. Why should people be ashamed? Not one person in any of these posts said that they make a habit of returning unopened items. These companies ship thousands of items per day and every shipper wants a piece of that action. The shipping cost to these companies are a fraction of what we as individuals pay. Shipping is a profit center for them. I work for a Fortune 500 company and even an overnight letter is only around $6 compared to the $12 you pay at the PO. Do you really think it costs $8.95 to ship a bracelet and then if you want to ship it back pay another $6.95 with their label?

I am not a serial returner. If I do return something , it is after I have opened the package and then returned the item on my dime. However, if on the rare occasion I receive a package that for whatever reason I decide to return unopened, what should I be ashamed of? At least I did not open the package, use more than half of it and then return it.

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1275965445.4731355 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005
On 6/7/2010 Sunshine Kate said:

No wonder shipping and handling charges are so expensive. UPS is too busy delivering packages, the customer refuses and UPS takes it right back to QVC.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves. I guess that's why so many people get "The Letter", if because of people like you.

Sunshine Kate - you certainly DON'T sound very "sunshine-y"......

I, myself have CANCELED an autoship & the item was STILL shipped SO, "return to sender" AND sometimes you order & are given a bit of time with a CANCEL OPTION but..... then it's too late - option to canel is gone.... so you QUICKLY call CS and they tell you they cannot stop it from their warehouse NOR can they do a REcall to UPS soooooo "return to sender"

Things happen....... s/h is NOT or HAS NOT gone up because of retrun to senders. It goes UP when the USPS increases rate so it costs MORE for me, you, EVERYONE to ship packages INCLUDING companies like HSN, QVC etc.............. It ALSO effects FedEx & UPS also with the UPrise in gas THAT also effects rates

Jabberjaw - NO need to defend yourself OR explain yourself OR the situation.... {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Last edited on 6/7/2010

Last edited on 6/7/2010

Page 1 of 2