Respected Contributor

Hi all,

Didn't see an April thread started so I went ahead and started one. I was out of the country last week on a cruise and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Except for my Ipad being stolen on the ship. It was old--an Ipad 2 and I was planning on replacing it, but I'm still mad about it going missing.

I unloaded my suitcase and got it put back in the garage, and I did get most of my dirty laundry in the laundry basket, but I still have a pile on my guest bed. And while I was standing there looking at it, I made the comment that I still have way too much stuff. It is disgusting to me and becoming more so. I have got to get this under control.

I did wear most of the clothes I took on the trip with the exception of a bunch of tank tops. I wore several during the day, but did not use them at night for layering when I thought I would. Needless to say, the only way I am buying any more tanks is if I get rid of what I have and start over. I wore all the shoes I took at least once, so I was pleased with that.

How did your 30 day challenge go? I didn't wear as much as I thought and I will continue it for the next 30 days, if not 60 days. I only pulled one thing out of my 'keep for 30 days" bag, so the rest can be donated. I also have 2 bins full of clothes that can probably be donated too.

So even though we are halfway (or close to it) through April--I have a challenge for you. It's the "Get rid of 5" challenge. Each day, you must get rid of 5 things--5 magazines, 5 pieces of mail, 5 things you haven't worn--you get the idea.

I hope you all had a good Easter/Passover holiday.

Frequent Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--April thread

Hi DrKelli!

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, but how unfortunate that your iPad was a casualty on your vacation. Sorry to hear about that.

This past month was interesting, as the weather had still been a bit iffy towards the end, so completing this 30 day challenge was a bit..well, challenging, to say the least. I did get rid of several items instead, and have been transitioning out of winter-gear into warmer weather items. It's a slow progression though. I do think however, that when I finalize my rotation of winter into spring/summer wardrobe in my closets and drawers, that there will be way less in stock than there was last year. Mainly because during my big purge in Jan/Feb, I got rid of so much that I hadn't worn in years and was just laying around.

I have not made any clothing purchases save for a pair of jeans last month to replace an old pair that bit the dust (I think I mentioned that in a post for the March thread, though). And other than menial household items, groceries and some restocking of beauty items, I have put no negative dent in my savings, which was my goal. I sat down sometime two weeks ago and "did my numbers" for the next few years, and it looked very promising. That alone is motivation to continue the course I'm on.

Of course, I think your "Get Rid of 5" challenge is brilliant, as well. I can do that easily and I'm up for it! I have been attempting to tackle the mail -- I'm always amazed at how much paper comes into the house by way of unwanted mail. I try to not even let it get 2 feet into the house (I have a waste paper basket by my front door, and when I pick up my mail on the way in from work, I'll open it right up as I'm walking through the front door, and if it's junk, out it goes; if it isn't, I'll take it to my office, but chuck the envelope). I have to admit though, there is a particular company that persists on sending me solicitation mail with a prepaid return envelope and after receiving about 8 of those in a week, I'd had it. So, I kept a bunch of them, scribbled REMOVE FROM MAILING LIST on the outermost paper, stuffed it in the prepaid envelope and put it in the mail the next day. It just isn't conducive to my attempts to de-clutter if I have the constant paper trail into my home.

In any event, I'm up for the challenge -- I think this one will be easier than the last one though. Maybe we can revisit that one during the warmer months when the weather is more stable?

Good to see you back DrKelli!

Regards,

Jolexi

Trusted Contributor

Hi Ladies ~

I love the "Get Rid of 5" challenge ......................really going to give this a shot! The weather here is so unstable I can't quite yet deal with clothing clean out! We have a "Wintry Mix" Alert for today {#emotions_dlg.sad}!!

I continue to "hear" the voices of the many participants of this group ~ trying to stick only to items on my grocery list, taking a "sleep on it" moment before making a clothing or higher end purchase ~ I actually put down before checkout a $5 CD that I really DID NOT need! Trying to break those habits...............

Thinking/planning for a spring garage sale ~ lots of work, I know, but it will help me SHED STUFF!

Have sold a few things on Craig's List ~ That's been liberating!

I miss seeing this thread and often don't have time to search for it ~ Personally, I preferred the weekly, but I realize everyone is busy.

The suggestions and support here are top notch ~ Thanks {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Frequent Contributor

irish1210,

If I'm going to be honest, I can say that I, too, preferred the weekly threads, but also understand that it can be much if you have lots on your plate during the week.

I'm glad you've been able to get some things sold - it puts some money back in your pocket for something more needed in the future, for sure. I think that once I start planning my move in about a year or so, I'll have less to deal with than when I originally moved into my place now. I think about that when I'm home on some weekends and ready to tackle some stuff around the house. So far, it's not much, but I'm being purposely brutal with my clearing out so that in the long run, I'm not kicking myself for not having it done sooner.

I hope we can all keep it up! Smile

Edited because my new laptop thinks it's funny to retype my words twice {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Esteemed Contributor

Hello ladies!

Welcome back DrKelli, Really sorry about your ipad. Besides that, I hope you enjoyed every day of your cruise!

Checked all around for prices on my two daily prescription meds. As my Dr. suggested, Costco had the best prices. Picked them up and shopped the store and bought-nothing! Left Costco with just my meds.

Working on my bedroom today. Removing all winter sweaters and pants. I want to wear the transitional clothes as the season for that is short. March came in like a lion and left like one, too. The snow has finally melted, but it is just getting warm enough some days to shed a layer. The washer & dryer will be going non stop today. Still collecting two bags: one for Goodwill and the other for worn out clothes for the clothing drive fundraiser at the high school.

There continue to be two cars parked in the garage, so no additional clutter has collected there. In the next weeks I plan to tackle a box of stuff there each day and keep/ donate/ toss as needed.

Out of town wedding coming up. Saved big on the overnight hotel, splurged at 6pm.com on a pair of dressy sandals that actually fit my big feet and make them look kinda cute. They were just $23.00 so a small splurge. Wearing clothes I already own for this formal affair.

Taxes are done. A very small amount owed, which will go out on the 15th. Money going into savings this month and I have saved enough to spend on a home project lined up for sometime in the next month: outdoor lighting for the front of the house. Have wanted to do this for several years- ready to do it now. Electrical contractor hired.

I'm all over the toss 5/day challenge starting today. That's over 20 days @5 items a day: over 100 items moved out of my life. I will also need to be good about limiting what comes in. I admit to doing some shopping during the past weeks- some small jewelry pieces being Happy Birthday to me, LOL!

Have a great and productive week ladies!

Valued Contributor

Happy April! Sadly, I think I did much better when we had a weekly thread, because it was always there to remind me to keep focused. To say I went "off focus" is an understatement. I messed up in all three of the main areas that I was working on. I bought too many groceries, which ended up being needless stocking up, 4 outfits of clothing because I was so impressed with the clearance prices, and new makeup foundation and concealer, as well as a set of hair products. It is really easy to fall back into old habits!

The 5 a day is a great idea. Flylady has something like that, but so many to count that I don't even try to adhere to it. Something like 27 items? If I have to spend that much time keeping track of how many, it won't get done.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Esteemed Contributor

I admit I miss the weekly thread and allowing everyone to keep me focused on our shared goals.

Respected Contributor

Hi everyone! Our latest project was last week....our grandkids came over and helped DH get all the boxes out of storage in the crawl space under our house. Then we went through everything, tossed a bunch of stuff, and put back a lot less than we took out! We also went through our Christmas decorations and pruned several boxes of stuff. The Christmas stuff is in the garage right now, waiting for all the grandkids to be here. They are going to choose whatever they want from the stuff for when they have their own homes, then we'll donate the rest.

Other than that I've just been enjoying my much-less-stuffed house!!! And baseball season has begun, so I'm in front of the TV cheering on my Detroit Tigers!

I like the idea of pitching 5 things a day.....thanks for suggesting it. When this inning is over I'm going to do a quick sweep and get rid of my 5 for today right away!

Respected Contributor

alicedee--when my favorite player went to Detroit (Pudge Rodriguez), I got the MLB extra innings package so I could follow him. I LOVE the Detroit sportscasters, Rod and Mario. They are so funny! Unfortunately, this year I decided that the extra 200/year for that package was too much and cancelled it. But I will still cheer for them to get to the World Series!

I think I'm overwhelmed again with all the STUFF I have. I am a single person and even if someone moved in with me--there would be NO room for them. I don't know whether to be embarrassed or mad.

Esteemed Contributor

Good start yesterday. Pulled out five items to donate.

I have changed over to my spring/transitional wardrobe, except for shoes . May tackle them later. Sending 2 clothing items back to the Q today. Must find 3 more items to toss or donate today.